15FT Mackenzie G2

j.mac

Reaction score
I was fortunate to get some fishing on the Spey last week courtesey of forum member Longchuck,this was an ideal chance to give my 15ft G2 coupled with the G2 multitip line a chuck.Well to say i was impressed was an understatement,the combination was so nice and effortless to use with heeps of power in reserve yet very user friendly.
With the water running on the high side i was using the fastest sink tip,now im not the best of casters i didn't even have to roll the line to the top i was able to lift straight into a single spey effortlessly and was managing between 25 - 30yrd casts easy without having to force the rod as it does the hard work for you.
Some of the other guys also tried out the rod and were very impressed with the set up,one was so impressed with it i had to go and ask him for it back so i could fish with it.Personally i find it a awesome combination and i am sure the other guys will vouch for that.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
I used the same combination on Saturday on the Orkla, courtesy of forum member PAC, and was equally impressed.

keirstream

Reaction score
I used the same combination on Saturday on the Orkla, courtesy of forum member PAC, and was equally impressed.

Haven't tried the G2 multi tip on mine but the full floater sure flies.:cool:
Not bad with the Monty Multi either but always the same problem for me.
The fish are always lying a yard further than I can reach.:(

longchuck

Reaction score
thanks for bringing the rod along to give us a throw,a very impressive rod to fish with.
a very easy casting rod which has plenty power,i felt the old dtx line light for the rod,match it with the new g2 spey line and it is just superb.the rod handles all the usual casts with ease and can also take a bit of bullying.i find the g2 spey to be a better all round rod than the original dtx range.many thanks jock an tom for getting the rod to us. the surprise combo was the greys g tec 15ft rod with a mackenzie shooting head,awesome is the only way to describe casting with this rod,very powerfull beast.
18 fish for the week to the rods so not bad at all,fluctuating levels didnt help and fish were running hard through the beat.

j.mac

Reaction score
I use the G2 10/11 Multitip on mine very nice match,got a shot of a 10/11 AFS at the weekend to try on it worked really well,going to see if i can get a shot of the 44g head to try

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
the 42g deffo is good on it, i also used the intermediate and sink 2/3 head and both were spot on. had to roll the sinker up first.

im sure the 10/11 afs is around 42g also and the rio 10' tips are around 4g if i remember correctly.

I actually have one of these lines waiting on me!! just remembered!

Gary.

thursodog

Reaction score
G2

I'm going to be trying this rod out in the close season and what i've heard and read so far has got me saving my pennies as i reckon i'm going to buy one.

Cheers CW.

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
you wont be dissapointed Thursodog...belter of a rod, and feels better in my hands than the original dtx.

Light rod, but still feels really strong, carron 65 10/11 on it is braw,
as is the carron 75 9/10...
sunk lines......no prob.

Had a few fish on the 15' G2 this season, and the rod bends lovely , with a nice feel to it.

i have only tried 42g mackenzie heads on it, but im sure it would like 44g just aswell.

Gary.

thursodog

Reaction score
G2

Thanks Gary.
That sounds great.
I was in Orvis in Banchory last week talking with Ben about these rods, he reckons theres nothing can beat it for a practical casting/fishing tool.
I hope Santa is reading this!!

Best regards Chris.

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
was out today with the 15'G2 and 75'carron 9/10 doing some left hand up casting

was managing to get good distance with the 9/10. first time i have tried it on the rod and also with a sink tip. have no idea what weight is in the 9/10 75' floater, but good outcome!

Gary.

paddymc

Reaction score
I had a throw with this rod yesterday with a 44g Mackenzie floating head, 10' inter. Polyleader and 5' of leader.

I was casting from the bank and the rod loved the combo.

I also tried a 42g afs, same result, it flew. Having said that,the Mackenzie head seemed to load it that bit deeper than the afs.

I would be happy with either.

Lovely rod, silky smooth but still plenty of power.

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
i was having a chuck with the mackenzie 42g heads today, a 39g triple D guideline f/h/i , and the 75 carron.

the guideline triple D 9/10 works well also, could maybee be doing with the next size up, but still gets out there....15 -18 or so pulls back in.

paddymc

Reaction score
i was having a chuck with the mackenzie 42g heads today, a 39g triple D guideline f/h/i , and the 75 carron.

the guideline triple D 9/10 works well also, could maybee be doing with the next size up, but still gets out there....15 -18 or so pulls back in.

Do you fish polys off the end of the triple D Gary ?

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
I was using a 10 ft sink tip with 8 ft leader.

I would find it hard to get a good anchor otherwise.

Ive yet to see anyone just using mono on the end of the head.

Gary.

speyboy

Reaction score
I was fortunate to get some fishing on the Spey last week courtesey of forum member Longchuck,this was an ideal chance to give my 15ft G2 coupled with the G2 multitip line a chuck.Well to say i was impressed was an understatement,the combination was so nice and effortless to use with heeps of power in reserve yet very user friendly.
With the water running on the high side i was using the fastest sink tip,now im not the best of casters i didn't even have to roll the line to the top i was able to lift straight into a single spey effortlessly and was managing between 25 - 30yrd casts easy without having to force the rod as it does the hard work for you.
Some of the other guys also tried out the rod and were very impressed with the set up,one was so impressed with it i had to go and ask him for it back so i could fish with it.Personally i find it a awesome combination and i am sure the other guys will vouch for that.

hi mac ,i not have the g2 15 feet,only have the olt dtx 15 feet.
gread rod.
look video on vimeo.there is something from my with the olt dtx.
with the carron speyline
vimeo/54473714
vimeo/53182592
vimeo/53181531
vimeo/53175730
sucses with the g2 series
cornelis

rs2ford

Reaction score
I use the G2 10/11 Multitip on mine very nice match,got a shot of a 10/11 AFS at the weekend to try on it worked really well,going to see if i can get a shot of the 44g head to try

Hi Jock,
did you get to try the 44g Head with the rod?
Would also be interested in how the 9/10 42g goes on the 14ft G2 if anyone knows.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

j.mac

Reaction score
Hi Jock,
did you get to try the 44g Head with the rod?
Would also be interested in how the 9/10 42g goes on the 14ft G2 if anyone knows.

Cheers Diarmid.

I did Diarmid i have the G2 44g head with the integrated running line and is a treat to cast,the 9/10 42g goes very well with the 14ft G2 nice deep load.

rs2ford

Reaction score
My favourite line on this rod is now the Mackenzie 9/10 42g shooting head. Tried the AFS 42g and the Mackenzie 44g both are also nice on it. G2 Multi tip Spey line is also a cracking combination.

Cheers Diarmid.

Swc1975

Reaction score
Totally agree. I've had this rod for the last year and casts like a dream although I'm not a fan of the lines. I prefer the AFS. Thursodog this is your rod!