14 footer 9/10 - Guideline lpxe or Vision tool

DonnieH

Reaction score
Can get both for pretty much the same price.

The tool grain range seems a bonus but I get the impression the lpxe is a favourite with many members.

Any recommendations?

Snakeroll

Reaction score
I have three of the Vision Tools and couldn't recommend them highly enough, and as you say they have a tremendous grain range. Never tried the LPXE though.

JoeE

Reaction score
I have 5 LPXes V3s. They also work with a wide range of lines and a excellent casting rod at very reasonable price for performance.

Fishing Shooting heads both scadi and shorter scandis as well as Galeforce spey lines with ease

Last edited:

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
I only have experience of the early LPXE's and found they only suited shooting heads. I have 2 Tools and they can handle everything thrown at them including 48g TripleD lines.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It's often said that the LPXe is the Audi of salmon rods - nobody thinks you a fool for buying one - so by that definition it's a 'good' rod. But rod choice is a such personal matter. In my case I tried a 14 LPXe and didn't like it as it didn't accord with my preferences for casting feel and balance (too tip oriented and stiff in the middle). In contrast I liked the Tool, which most people regard as also a 'good' rod. It was the better rod for me, but not for everyone.

D

Deleted member 21259

I have previously had both rods and moved them on. The LPXe is a pure out and out shooting head rod and performs exceptionally for this purpose. The Tool will however perform with pretty much anything including Skagit. My personal recommendation for you is to find a retailer who has both in stock and ask if you can take them both out and try them for yourself. Most retailers who are looking to sell rods will let you do this. Ultimately it is the only test that really matters.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Lpxe for me as it suits the way i cast. Only rod ive tried and liked better is the hardy marksman s as its slightly slower but not by much.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
An LPXe owner, user and appreciator.I have 13ft,15ft,16ft and 17ft versions.And I love them, they suit me down to the ground.
For me it would boil down to 2 lines of thought.Do you need/want Skagit capability, if yes Tool, if no, LPXe, then secondly the LPXe's are pretty well bob on to their line ratings, that matter's to me a lot- I want exactly what it says on the tin!, a 14ft 9/10 rod should cast that line as easy as pie and not need heavier still to get it to work!.A rod that casts a wide grain weight window, while being versatile (no bad thing really!) isn't what I want or need.I can buy a 13ft LPXe in 8/9 (I have!) and buy an off the shelf Guideline 8/9 head for it, off I go no probs, or any 31g head will do the business.
It makes the matching of line/head a lot easier.I don't need a rod rated 8/9 that needs lines that work a 14ft 9/10, I already have a 14ft 9/10 rated rod just for that (thats a Guideline too!)
Of course there's brand identity too, Vision fans maybe won't see past Vision kit, as Guideline fans wont see past Guideline kit (thats me then!).
Stating the blindingly obvious, if you intend shooting head usage then the LPXe would take it for me every single time.
But as ever , it's a buyers market and the choice we all have is great.Try before you buy is the thing for any measure of uncertainty.
Best of luck, Pedro.

tynelobster

Reaction score
I've owned and cast both and they both have their strengths - try if you can as has been pointed out what suits one will not always suit another but my favourite hands down is the tool (cork handle for me though :) )

offshore

Reaction score
I've owned and cast both and they both have their strengths - try if you can as has been pointed out what suits one will not always suit another but my favourite hands down is the tool (cork handle for me though :) )
Do you mind me asking if you have since moved on from the Tool - and if so to which make / model ?

Did you ever try the 15' Tool ?

Thanks

tynelobster

Reaction score
Do you mind me asking if you have since moved on from the Tool - and if so to which make / model ?

Did you ever try the 15' Tool ?

Thanks
Yip currently loving a Loop 13 ft 8 wt Opti NXT - very different rod.
Never owned a 15ft tool but cast one yes - preferred the 14fter.
I do offer the opportunity for people to try various rods they might be interested in before splashing their cash - as stated above try before you buy!

offshore

Reaction score
Yip currently loving a Loop 13 ft 8 wt Opti NXT - very different rod.
Never owned a 15ft tool but cast one yes - preferred the 14fter.
I do offer the opportunity for people to try various rods they might be interested in before splashing their cash - as stated above try before you buy!
That sounds interesting, I haven't test cast the latest version of any rod range in ages.

I am still using the same Loop LTS X1 14'6" which I must of had for a decade or more (?) A good rod at that time, but not really sure how it compares to the latest and greatest. My most modern rod is a 13' Vision Mag - seems pretty good to me.

I tend to buy last years model of everything, when the new one is launched - from bikes, rods and including my latest car. Tight.