13' to 13'6

simoncassidy

Reaction score
13ft 6 Gloomis Roaring River if you can find one.It will throw that and heavier.Rod is in a league of its own

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a 36 gram Scandi line on an 8 weight Sage X and it's quite an easy outfit to fish with. The rod is 14' but if you are willing to go to 13'6" what's another 6" at the end of the day? The old Sage One 13'6" eight will cast the same line but I like one a bit heavier on the One rod.

My latest rod that uses the same weight Scandi is the Guideline LPXe 13' rated 8/9 and I used that rod exclusively here last year. I will be employing the Guideline again when the ice goes off the rivers and carry the X rod as an extra rod in the boat.

In the years working as a fish guide in Alaska I had the opportunity to try many two hand rods, too many to list. Once I began using the Guideline I knew I'd found the rod I would continue with until I can no longer fish, that's how much I like it.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The Hardy Zenith Sintrix 13’ 6” probably rates as one of the all time greats. Of more recent production the Sage Igniter and the Vision XO are the most highly rated. The XO was T&S Best on Test in 2019 and is my favourite: see review here.

westie4566

Reaction score
May we ask for the reason for 36g? Is that to use lines you already have?

I have 3 13'rods (the size I seem to have found myself using most). The oldest is the Diawa Wilderness XT....need to pass that on as it doesn;t get used anymore. A real wee powerhouse of a rod rated 600grains.

My go too for many. many years was my Guideline Lpxe rated around 490-540 grains. Still love it.

Today was a second outing with a Century Stealth 8/9/10 that I bought off a pal last August. Forget the 8/9 bit of that rating! Was chucking a 10wt RioSSVT with the 8/9ps tip and a ten foot superfast poly. That was off my weak side too. (LHU) It was more than adequate at getting a fly into the far bank of the Dee. That was with two weights in the butt and teamed with an old Hardy Golden Prince 11/12. Pick it up. it feels heavy. Fishing it is fantastically light and balanced in the hand

Hoddom

Reaction score
the 13 6 Zenith is the best rod ever made imho.
the 15 1 and 12 6 versions are not as good.
the 13 6 Zenith is so good I have three. one I use. The other two are stored away until required- reflecting the madness of Hardy no longer providing spares/replacement sections forr the Zenith

keirstream

Reaction score
the 13 6 Zenith is the best rod ever made imho.
the 15 1 and 12 6 versions are not as good.
the 13 6 Zenith is so good I have three. one I use. The other two are stored away until required- reflecting the madness of Hardy no longer providing spares/replacement sections forr the Zenith
Yes, I would go with the Zenith 13ft 6in. It's a peach of a rod with a very wide window.
I have previously vented my frustrations on Hardy discontinuing a £1k rod after only 10 years and holding no replacement parts.
It's criminal and made sure I never buy another Hardy rod.:mad:
I had decided to fish mine to destruction but now I know where I can get parts.:D
I have no experience of Guideline since the Buy One, Break One deals so can't comment.
However, the new Gaelforce 13ft 6in would be a temptation impossible for me to resist if the Zenith came to a sad ending.

mc andy

Reaction score
Because it’s 13’ and not the 13’ 6” specified in the question. However, at its length it’s still one of the greats.
You had me doubting myself?

I have got history for missreading things 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210202_081130.jpg
    Screenshot_20210202_081130.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 53

flytay

Reaction score
The 13ft 6in Zenith is also my favourite rod and the first that I reach for from May to September. More of a 9 weight than an 8 and I use mine with a Rio AFS head at 38g.

If I want to go down to an 8, the Vision Tool at 13 ft is now my preferred choice. Funny that both these rods get mentioned in this thread!

rubberwellie

Reaction score
I’m also in the market for a 13 to 13’6 footer. Has anybody cast an RJC custom rod and if so how does it compare to the rods mentioned so far?

Hoddom

Reaction score
The 13ft 6in Zenith is also my favourite rod and the first that I reach for from May to September. More of a 9 weight than an 8 and I use mine with a Rio AFS head at 38g.
I use the same line. It casts a beautiful line whether fishing big brass and sinking lines or tiny summer flies on a floater.

if you need a 13 ft rather than a 13 6 just get the zenith 13 6 and hold the rod about 6 inches higher up the handle than you normally would :) Simples.

rs2ford

Reaction score
RJC 13'6" 9wt, 6 piece for easy travel, built to any spec you want. Perfect with 36g but will also take 34g or 38g heads. Ross rolls his own blanks so no worries about breakages unlile discontinued rods such as the Zenith. Well worth considering. I am delighted with mine.

Attachments

• 20210123_161720.jpg
    20210123_161720.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210123_161658.jpg
    20210123_161658.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40

Neil W

Reaction score
RJC 13'6" 9wt, 6 piece for easy travel, built to any spec you want. Perfect with 36g but will also take 34g or 38g heads. Ross rolls his own blanks so no worries about breakages unlile discontinued rods such as the Zenith. Well worth considering. I am delighted with mine.
I have 2 of RJC rods and they are superb. Highly recommended and better quality than any mass produced rod plus made in the U.K. what’s not to like

Lamson v10

Reaction score

The 13'6 will be my next RJC rod 👍 my 12'2 is on the dryer at the moment ahead of schedule 👍
I do like my13'6 zenith but it's time for change out wae the old in wae British built 👍

bankwheel

Reaction score
You could of course go to the king of rods with a Salmologic Serenity or Scorpio