12ft MacKenzie DTX, a few thoughts

Scanny

Reaction score
I have just got back from my second afternoon practising with the 12ft Dtx and my first impressions are very favourable. I tried the rod in December and it felt nice and cast well, but a few months on and with my casting freeing up it feels a different rod.

Teamed up with a Rio Afs S1 in 8/9 and a 5ft fast sink polly, a selection of flies from brass bottles, big baboons and smaller flies, it cast admirably.

Balance wise i tried it with the Hardy Uniqua no 3 (WF8+100yards) and it balanced at the top of the handle then again with the No4 (Wf10+250yards), and the extra weight balanced it a third of the way down the handle but also during casting helped encourage more lower hand movement so it is the reel of choice on it.

The loading of the rod is similar to the 14ft again with it reacting better to very little power being put into the stroke and putting out casts which in my novice hands, are just as far as the 14 does. If you do go for any power then i found it consistently casts 6ft less than if you relaxed and allowed it to do the work itself. Equally using a top or bottom hand bias, its turns the line with ease.

The result is superb, it kicks im sure there is more power in the blank to be accessed with accentuated rotation which i haven't yet mastered. In experienced hands it would cast significantly further. Im sure going heavy with s4/5 heads would not be a problem for the rod neither would playing a large fish with the residual stiffness in the but and 2nd section.

It covers the water i can with my 14 but after a few hours you don't feel as if you have been casting, its almost akin to using a single hander such is its weight and effort required. I never thought i could get so much distance from a short rod, i initially thought i would only use on the Ayrshire spate rivers. The 14 is a superb rod itself but the 12 is even better and probably going to see the bulk of my fishing for the rest of the year. I look forward to trying a Snowbee 1D and Mr MacKenzie's 8/9 line when it arrives in May.

Last edited:

Rene Koenigs

Reaction score
Hi Scanny,

Scott recommends 29gr for 13'# 8. You use Rio AFS 8/9 with 34gr on your 12' #8 :eek:. Try the Rio AFS 7/8 with 30gr or a Vision ACE with 29gr. That should fit the rod much better :rolleyes:.

Let me know if you have try it.

Regards
Rene

Scanny

Reaction score
Hi Rene

I was advised to go with the 8/9 on the 12' and it feels superb. I cast it with the 7/8 in December and it cast but didn't load as easily.

I was casting with 3ft of overhang also. I had a few hours on it again today and it's casting consistantly at the same length, and works excellently with a bottle tube or conehead on.

I'll try other lines on it on Sunday and see how they perform, I'll hopefully get a throw with the 13 and 18 if Scott has them ready and with him. The 8/9 short head lines are due in 9 weeks and should be excellent on both 12 and 13 models.

Steve

Kyle_Fisher

Reaction score
Hi Scanny,could you let me know what other lines you are trying on the 12ft DTX, i have bought a DTX 13 footer lately and would like to know which line suits it best, i am also waiting for Scotts new 8/9 line.:)

Last edited:

munro

Reaction score
Had a shot of today with 8/9 line was it scanny lovely wee wepon casts superb with line set ,easy to use and set up and good delivery,only had about 5 mins didnt want to give back to scanny,only tried roll cast single spey and circlec but it was sweet with them all

Scanny

Reaction score
A few weeks on and it's even nicer to use.

With the afs it's good fun and feels like a trout rod but it's even better on a Spey line. I tried the Snowbee 1d but it would not load up the rod, I tried a carron 9/10 and it casts very well and again effortlessly, bump and stop and it flies.

Perfect for 95% of my river and should be a lot of fun with a big fish on the other end, hopefully it's christened shortly.

The 13 is superb also, and the 15 the rod of the range, had a throw with the today.

Last edited:

Scanny

Reaction score
With low water I have been getting a bit of casting practice in and trying to get some feedback from each rod and some qualative data. I marked up my running lines at 30yards so I could gage the improvements from now.

Using the 8/9 Airflo quick Spey, floating tip and a 5ft Fs polly,it went well. With the line marker at mid rod it cast approx 28 yards outside the tip consistantly and turning over well. There's scope for more power when I add a little more fluidity to my stop and rotation but so far it's impresive with my limited ability.

An airflo scandi head cut to 33grams reaches the same length with an 8/9 afs sneaking to 30 yards.

Using the same set ups on a loop Adventure 13'2 didn't give much more distance and highlighted just how relaxed the dtx casting stroke is.Further to that a 14'9 guideline was only casting 33 yards, so is the extra 5 yards worth a more aggresive stroke and subsequent fatigue if fishing for a full day.

So far so good and I'm happy with it , not just for summer work as it will turn tubes and large monkies without complaint, with the added benifit of not feeling like you've been casting a double hander all afternoon.

Last edited:

fishfly

Reaction score
I have a DTX 12ft and have used various lines on it but my two best lines are the carron jet stream 55ft 8/9 and the DTX G2 32g shooting head which flies out the rod tip like sh*t off a shovel, fantastic and versatile little rod, anyone looking for these rods there are some great deals going on them.

Jonsey

Reaction score
I'm sure it does, as you say it's a lovely little rod, however looking for a very short head, something around 10 meters or so if you have any other suggestions? Scandi compact maybe?

fishfly

Reaction score
Diarmid, I used a ssvt 8# when I was up north fishing for a week, I can truly say it has been the best line I have used on it so far, very easy to cast and loads the rod great even when using poly tips from int. to super fast sink. Hope that helps.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Diarmid, I used a ssvt 8# when I was up north fishing for a week, I can truly say it has been the best line I have used on it so far, very easy to cast and loads the rod great even when using poly tips from int. to super fast sink. Hope that helps.

Thanks Gavin, that's good to hear as it saves me buying yet another line:rolleyes:

Cheers Diarmid.

ibm59

Reaction score

rs2ford

Reaction score