12 lost, 1 landed - HELP!

angleronnie

Reaction score
I once lost 13 in succession over a couple of weeks before finally landing the 14th..... so along with the above comments no need to worry

Rrrr

Reaction score
I managed to loose 3 in a row yesterday and that was only the ones where i got them turned and a hook hold. And that was with the spinning rod
It used to get to me when i lost them but now not so much unless its a really good fish.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tangled

Reaction score
I'm not terribly bothered if they get off after a bit of a fight, and so long as I've had a bit of a look at them; I reckon that's a fair competition and a fair result. I'm putting them all back anyway and the family won't go hungry if they get off. Long distance catch and release, as Paul WhiteHouse calls it.

But losing a dozen in a row would seriously mess with my karma.

btw, there's a similar sort of thing that happens with across and down spider fishing for brown trout. You lose a lot of fish with that method too (compared with upstream dries or nymphs). I think it's because the fish take the fly pointing upstream and any strike or tension in the line pulls the fly out of the mouth. If the firsh turn with the fly in their mouth - or in the case of upstream fishing, the fly is pulled back into the fish - the hook sets better, often in the scissors. Then you have him.

RUSH

Reaction score
As everyone has said it happens, but I do have a slightly different take on it. I have two ways to hook on differing water styles.

Classic flowing water letting the fly swing I do nothing but clamp the line firmly till you feel the full weight of the fish. Then lift. And it may sound obvious but I was amazed last season watching others play fish how little pressure they applied to a fish, barley having a bend in the rod. Get that rod bent. Imo of course

Second is slacker water and retrieving your fly. Square casts and figure of 8 retrieve. In this situation I strike, I know that everything ever written or said about salmon fishing takes this is not the done thing. Well I meet a angler going through a pool, and as we talked he had a fish take! Well the fish was struck! So he played it landed it then released it. Afterwards I said? I hope you don't mind me saying but you struck that fish, oh yes he said, If a fish pulls I pull back! Simple . He suggested he was easy 1 in 8 losses. I never done it for years and as I say now on retrieving only. But its working for me. I'm currently on 39 landed for 4 losses. For the last 2 seasons.

Cheers andy
aye it’s those trebles you use mate it increase your chances by 33 and a third % 😁

phil.b

Reaction score
I also have had a bad run lately probably lost a few more than you this June but I have landed a few,it's just fishing I'm afraid it will come good for you:cool:

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Good news! Caught a beast on the fly (similar to this one I caught spinning on the same day)2B8590F2-D94C-47BA-A2D5-EF0DB4EAB095.jpeg). Epic take and fight.

He showed, I casted, he plucked, I casted, he plucked, I casted and twitched the fly, he took, I gave him a meter or two of line through my fingertips and then lifted into a 10lb+ fish. Mad craic up and down the river.

Oscar

Reaction score
That's a belter, well done! You'll probably get 12 to stick now!

So is that the Finn?

Oscar.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
That's a belter, well done! You'll probably get 12 to stick now!

So is that the Finn?

Oscar.
Blackwater, Lismore beats. Savage days fishing. Big fresh fish everywhere. I was waiting for a pull on every cast.