12' CFR Salmon, 7-9

bluejay

Reaction score
Looking for any information on a B&W 12' CFR Salmon 7-9, from the Bruce line.
A friend has this rod and am curious about it's history and what lines one would use on this rod.
Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

bluejay

Reaction score
I have been fortunate to gain some information about this rod from B&W. They are great people. I'll put it here.

With regard to the CFR 12’ rod, you are really going back decades now. These were made in the late 1970s. They were the “first generation” if you will, of carbon fibre rods, but with a small amount of glass fibre mixed in with them. We moved over from total fibre glass, to carbon fibre, in the mid 1970s and CFR stands for Carbon Formula Rods. There were quite a few in the range, from 10’ up to 15’. But the 12’ was particularly popular on the small to medium rivers.

As with all rods from this era, they were designed for use with Double Taper lines, as that was the only choice available then. I would say an #8 or #9 would work well. But, as with all things fishing, it is entirely subjective to the individual! Not to mention the conditions on the day. Here is an extract from the last recorded entry from our archives about the CFR 12’ rod:-

CFR 12’ – Perfect for Salmon and sea trout fishing, on rivers or lochs. This incredibly light rod bends a great deal when playing a lively salmon, but on can feel just how this is taking the strain off the leader. One has to be careful not to put too much effort into the casting, then the performance of the rod is fully up to all requirements. Another role that the rod fills excellently, is fishing for rainbows on Stillwater with a shooting head.

Obviously this is all relative to the time it was written and made.

bluejay

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the grain weight would be for a DT 8 or 9 back in the time this rod was made. Would be the same as today?