11ft Switch custom build

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’m at it again :giggle:
I’ve just started building another rod for my young lad. It’s on a top quality carbon blank I order from South Korea. I ordered a load of them different sizes from single handers through to switches and 2 handers up to 14ft so got loads of rods to build. 😁
I’ve used mainly flor for the handle with a wee bit black thunder cactus and a splash colour in between a few thin burnt rings. I’m going for red and copper thread with a few thin bands of gold I think. Will see how it looks. I’ve only built it dry so far so still needs glued. I will keep thread updated with pics once I’ve turned the cork and finished the thread work.

Attachments

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Nice choice, what glue do you use? ...always seem to end up with a glue line when I use epoxy glue?
I use epoxy but not the quick drying. Do you use a cork clamp ? I will glue the butt then put it in the clamp and leave it over night. Then will fit the reel seat and half the top handle then clamp it over night before glueing the rest of top handle before clamping that and leaving over night. I never have a glue line using this method. I made my own but you can buy them for guidesnblanks
46CA1896-C3FA-4E57-90AB-C2E412CBFAE6.png

SEDGY

Reaction score
Ah got you...hadn’t thought of clamping it like that, simply enough when you see it done,thank you for your advice 👍
Tell me please,I currently tie in the rings by hand sitting in an arm chair, is it worth investing in a proper wiping jig/machine in your opinion? If so why and which would you recommend?

SEDGY

Reaction score
Sorry,also,as you have knowledge on blanks and are independent... am after a blank with a similar action to an original Sage rpl graphite 3...do you know of any? Thank you

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I’m at it again :giggle:
I’ve just started building another rod for my young lad. It’s on a top quality carbon blank I order from South Korea. I ordered a load of them different sizes from single handers through to switches and 2 handers up to 14ft so got loads of rods to build. 😁
I’ve used mainly flor for the handle with a wee bit black thunder cactus and a splash colour in between a few thin burnt rings. I’m going for red and copper thread with a few thin bands of gold I think. Will see how it looks. I’ve only built it dry so far so still needs glued. I will keep thread updated with pics once I’ve turned the cork and finished the thread work.

Nice but I prefer the full composite 😉

Attachments

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Nice but I prefer the full composite 😉
That looks amazing mate. Ross has done a beautiful job of the thread work. I’ve can’t believe I’ve went for near exact same finish on the handle. I swear on my kids lives I’ve never seen your rod. I thought I’d come up with something a bit different. I’ve been through the blues and purples wanted a fiery look.
A full composite handle would be too heavy on a switch. Fine on a 2 hander even a wee one like the 71225. How do you like yours? I absolutely love mine. I had the 12’2” loop cross s1 that I built for my son set up with exact same lines on each rod. So was easy to compare. I loved the loop as it’s got a great action but preferred my RJC. It’s got a **** tonne of power for the size and even more of a through action than the loop. Amazing bit of kit.
cheers Gordon.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Ah got you...hadn’t thought of clamping it like that, simply enough when you see it done,thank you for your advice 👍
Tell me please,I currently tie in the rings by hand sitting in an arm chair, is it worth investing in a proper wiping jig/machine in your opinion? If so why and which would you recommend?
I made all of my rod building equipment myself. The rod wrapper for the thread work being one of the easiest to make. If you check out my thread further down “sons birthday loop cross s1 build” you will see all the home made tools. If you need help building one yourself pm me mate. I’d be happy to help.
355BE2B1-3DD0-4E4F-B0B0-C7F1716DBB28.jpeg

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Sorry,also,as you have knowledge on blanks and are independent... am after a blank with a similar action to an original Sage rpl graphite 3...do you know of any? Thank you
Hi I’m not familiar with the sage rpl mate. And tbh am pretty new to rod building this being my 4th. I’m getting better though and had a great teacher in Ross for RJC custom rods. He is a top bloke and his rods are beautiful and his new range of rods built on his very own hand rolled blanks are something special. He’s held my hand on my first couple of builds and taught me loads. His site is well worth drooling over. https://www.rjcflyrods.com/
I’ve got a sage tcx and love it but had the method and found it be like a stick compared to the loop cross s1’s that I’ve been building. The loop have a much more forgiving through action than the sage which is a fast action and has a much smaller window to get it right which was no use to me and my mediocre casting abilities. I’m dealing with a factory in South Korea which will build me blanks to my spec so I can tailor material, action, speed, how many pieces even down to colour and finish. Me and My pals are after custom spinning rods as well as fly rods so think I’m going to put in another order. This isn’t a business adventure I just enjoy building rods and I’m only building rods for myself my son and my pals. I’ve got a proper lathe for turning the cork handles now too.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
That looks amazing mate. Ross has done a beautiful job of the thread work. I’ve can’t believe I’ve went for near exact same finish on the handle. I swear on my kids lives I’ve never seen your rod. I thought I’d come up with something a bit different. I’ve been through the blues and purples wanted a fiery look.
A full composite handle would be too heavy on a switch. Fine on a 2 hander even a wee one like the 71225. How do you like yours? I absolutely love mine. I had the 12’2” loop cross s1 that I built for my son set up with exact same lines on each rod. So was easy to compare. I loved the loop as it’s got a great action but preferred my RJC. It’s got a **** tonne of power for the size and even more of a through action than the loop. Amazing bit of kit.
cheers Gordon.
You're spot on Gordon in what you say about the blanks and rods that Ross produces. I'm really pleased with the 2 RJC rods that I now have, both of them are a real joy to fish and cast with and the quality of his workmanship and attention to detail is superb.
I too have the 7122 loop S1 built for me by Ross and like you much prefer the blank that Ross has rolled. As a matter of interest, what lines are you using on the 7122.5 ?
Looking forward to seeing your switch when it's finished. The colour scheme on my 7122 was inspired by one of my favourite findhorn flees that can be seen in the picture.
Geoff

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
You're spot on Gordon in what you say about the blanks and rods that Ross produces. I'm really pleased with the 2 RJC rods that I now have, both of them are a real joy to fish and cast with and the quality of his workmanship and attention to detail is superb.
I too have the 7122 loop S1 built for me by Ross and like you much prefer the blank that Ross has rolled. As a matter of interest, what lines are you using on the 7122.5 ?
Looking forward to seeing your switch when it's finished. The colour scheme on my 7122 was inspired by one of my favourite findhorn flees that can be seen in the picture.
Geoff
Hi Geoff
All the time and effort Ross has put in to designing and testing his rods to get the action and weights right has really paid off. Like you said a real joy to use. I’ve only had one full day with the 7122-5 and tried a few lines on it. The rage 480 did everything well so did the barrio integrated 8/9 switch and both worked really well. I’ve been getting into my skagits for snap t’s and circle c’s for fishing high banked pools and find with my limited casting abilities that a short heavy line suits me best. I like the opst commando on my 11ft loop. So I tried one off the new airflo driver skagits. I thought it might be a bit heavy at 540g but I had it flying out. I’m going to see what the new airflo scouts are like on my rods. They are basically opst commando copies but have a better range of weights and cheaper. I like the airflo lines. I was using the fist skagit in the spring and that was great also.
cheers Gordon

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Hi Geoff
All the time and effort Ross has put in to designing and testing his rods to get the action and weights right has really paid off. Like you said a real joy to use. I’ve only had one full day with the 7122-5 and tried a few lines on it. The rage 480 did everything well so did the barrio integrated 8/9 switch and both worked really well. I’ve been getting into my skagits for snap t’s and circle c’s for fishing high banked pools and find with my limited casting abilities that a short heavy line suits me best. I like the opst commando on my 11ft loop. So I tried one off the new airflo driver skagits. I thought it might be a bit heavy at 540g but I had it flying out. I’m going to see what the new airflo scouts are like on my rods. They are basically opst commando copies but have a better range of weights and cheaper. I like the airflo lines. I was using the fist skagit in the spring and that was great also.
cheers Gordon
I'm on the other end of the spectrum for lines Gordon. I tend to prefer Spey lines. I have been using the gaelforce 7/8 54ft 30g line and the Rio short head spey line 6/7# . Both lines are great with the rod. I have also tried the gaelforce 6/7 short head switch line which is about 24g and that is also a nice line on that rod when I need a short head.
Cheers Geoff

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in trying the RJC 7122 5 piece, Ross will send out a rod for you to try. Be warned though you will probably end up wanting one😄
Look on the RJC website/Facebook page for further information.
Findhorn Conehead

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I'm on the other end of the spectrum for lines Gordon. I tend to prefer Spey lines. I have been using the gaelforce 7/8 54ft 30g line and the Rio short head spey line 6/7# . Both lines are great with the rod. I have also tried the gaelforce 6/7 short head switch line which is about 24g and that is also a nice line on that rod when I need a short head.
Cheers Geoff
I’m not a fan of Spey lines probably because they are harder to get right and I’m not that great 🤣