11'3 airtec 7wt

westie4566

Reaction score
Just acquired above rod , looking for line recommendations for 2 hand spey casting

I have the 8 weight and use the Barrio 7/8 switch line on mine. It's a lovely, well balanced set up. I took Mike Barrio's advice and lopped 18" off the front which greatly improvesd turnover with polys and heavy flies.

Mate had the 8/9 on his weight and we both agreed it felt a bit overloaded.

I suspect the 6/7 would match your's perfectly.

Hope this helps - contact Mike Barrio - he's always happy to advise and help....a real gent.

Rennie

Reaction score
15ydspeycast,I have the 6 weight version of that rod I bought in a deal from Airflo.It came with a free Airflo 40+ line in this case a 7 weight.It casts like a flaming missile and I am very very pleased indeed with the outfit.I use it primarily for low water and most of the time it has a 10ft tapered leader and 6 ft of tippet which it casts nice as pie.For polys. I use trout versions at 12lb B.S. to 11lb Seaguar,it'll turn them over no problem with copper tubes up to 3/4".
If you tread the 40+ path, just go up one line weight to your rod, in your case an 8 weight will positively scream out.
With the outfit I can do any form of Spey Cast,over head, etc etc. and the line and flee flies out a very long way.Wind is not a problem to the outfit ,I've had fish to 18lb on mine and it banks them quickly and efficiently.
Best of luck with your rod, sure you'll enjoy.
Pedro.

15ydspeycast

Reaction score
15ydspeycast,I have the 6 weight version of that rod I bought in a deal from Airflo.It came with a free Airflo 40+ line in this case a 7 weight.It casts like a flaming missile and I am very very pleased indeed with the outfit.I use it primarily for low water and most of the time it has a 10ft tapered leader and 6 ft of tippet which it casts nice as pie.For polys. I use trout versions at 12lb B.S. to 11lb Seaguar,it'll turn them over no problem with copper tubes up to 3/4".
If you tread the 40+ path, just go up one line weight to your rod, in your case an 8 weight will positively scream out.
With the outfit I can do any form of Spey Cast,over head, etc etc. and the line and flee flies out a very long way.Wind is not a problem to the outfit ,I've had fish to 18lb on mine and it banks them quickly and efficiently.
Best of luck with your rod, sure you'll enjoy.
Pedro.

Thanks rennie , bought rod from keirstream I'll try few lines over the winter . Will keep you comments in mind about forty plus

Loxie

Reaction score
Thanks rennie , bought rod from keirstream I'll try few lines over the winter . Will keep you comments in mind about forty plus

I've got a 6wtand an 8 wt. the 40+ 7wt is a cracker for the 6wt. I also like the ridge clear inters; 7/8 on the 6 and 8/9 on the 8.

wetwader

Reaction score
I tried the Airtecs Switch in #6, 7 and 8 some months ago and kept them all together.
They are extraordinary well performing rods for the price. After trying and comparing most of the well known labels and their switch rods up to more than five times the price over the years, I have to say, they are real bargains - especially in the UK with an additional 40+ line.
The nice thing about them is, they really show a very good Spey action. They are very versatile and also the most forgiving switch rods I tried until now. This is critical in a short switch rod. They are very good to use for beginners and don’t disappoint the experienced. Nice and easy, powerful and fast when needed.
One have to live with small issues in cosmetics, mainly cork quality and small cracks in the varnish on the wraps after some use. I also would like a bigger knob on the lower handle for more bottom hand orientation and feel.
But what’s most important? Performance! Small issues are accepted because of it’s superior blank and performance.

15ydspeycast,
the 7 is more to the lighter side, more to the 6 than to the 8.
I didn’t try myself, but I am sure, the 40+ in #7 as suggested by Rennie and Loxie and used over many years by them is a very good fit.
From the lines I own and tried, I found the Rage 330 grain + Rio Scandi light Versileader 10’ very nice for me. Airflo Polyleader were too heavy for my taste.
If lightest feel and presentation is necessary, I go down to the Trout PL of Vision. They are available in two categories: Trout (Mono of 0,30 mm) and Light Trout. The latter is comparable to the Airflo Trout. I choose Vision Trout, because it gives some additional safety in BS. But as said above, the Rio Scandi light was my regular choice.
The 7 got the deepest action out of the three in this series, but because of it’s good blank with high acceleration and high linespeed it’s not at all slow.
Alternatively the Rio SSVT in #5. But I preferred the Rage 330.
It’s also very good with a Skagit Scout in 360 grain. Usually I am not the biggest friend of Skagit heads and I prefer Scandi heads and their delicate presentation. But I pair the short Scout with 12’ OPST tips in 96 grain for the heaviest flies, 15’ tips GL DDC tips in 8/9, cutted down to 13’ and Rio 15‘ VersiTips in #7 and #8 for smaller flies and delicate presentation.
The combination with a longer tip gives good anchor, good load and much better presentation compared to a short and heavy 10‘ T-material. One can experiment for own needs or adapt to specific fishing situations very well.
Very very good for windy conditions, tossing big and heavy flies for hungry trouts a long distance... unbelievable for a short rod like this.

aneurin,
a Rage Head of 450 grain is way too much for the Airtec Switch in #8.
They are not classified as a doublehander, somewhere between singlehander and doublehander classification, more “singlehander +“...
I tested my Rage heads from 300 up to only 390 on the #7. The 390 grain Rage already was too heavy for my liking. Same distance but lower linespeed compared to the 360. The 390 fits to the #8. That’s surely a question of personal taste and preference of load and feel, but 450 grain is too much on the #8.
Also very good for me was the Rio SSVT #6 around 24 Gramm.

Hope that helps.

Good luck and enjoy these rods !

Last edited:

sewinfly

Reaction score
I missed out on these rods when Airflo discounted them at just under £100.
So bought a Grahams Grilse Special.

They done the same with the
Enigma EMG MK 111

They get a great rod and discontinued it, and brought out nothing even close to it.

You hardly ever see these rods advertised.

Sewinfly. ..........

westie4566

Reaction score
I missed out on these rods when Airflo discounted them at just under £100.
So bought a Grahams Grilse Special.

They done the same with the
Enigma EMG MK 111

They get a great rod and discontinued it, and brought out nothing even close to it.

You hardly ever see these rods advertised.

Sewinfly. ..........

Off topic but..

That reminds me - I still have a 15' Enigma EMG Mk111 that was stripped and recoated by David Norwich and re handled too. Lovely thing and I haven't used it in many, many years.