11'3" #7 Switch Rod - First build

Icelander05

Reaction score
Hopefully the blank will not fail. Would be a shame to loose such a nice build due to a poor blank. However it looks pretty similar to the Airlfo Airtec and these are pretty stable. On the other hand I ordered a built up rod from China the other day and the blank exploded on the first outing. Good luck!

AlanT

Reaction score
Hopefully the blank will not fail. Would be a shame to loose such a nice build due to a poor blank. However it looks pretty similar to the Airlfo Airtec and these are pretty stable. On the other hand I ordered a built up rod from China the other day and the blank exploded on the first outing. Good luck!
hopefully not 🤣

chriswjx

Reaction score
Just ordered my 12'6" blank after looking at yours Alan :ROFLMAO:

Here's a question though to those longer in this fishing whatnots... When you get or build a new rod, where all you've been told is that its "rated", for example, 9/10 but no recommended casting weights. Do you just start slapping lines up and down from that rating to work out what weight/length lines work best? Like you would do with any rod with an established weight range, just without the initial info of saying "start from 38g and go up"

AlanT

Reaction score
Just ordered my 12'6" blank after looking at yours Alan :ROFLMAO:

Here's a question though to those longer in this fishing whatnots... When you get or build a new rod, where all you've been told is that its "rated", for example, 9/10 but no recommended casting weights. Do you just start slapping lines up and down from that rating to work out what weight/length lines work best? Like you would do with any rod with an established weight range, just without the initial info of saying "start from 38g and go up"

I couldn't find any reviews or recommendations for that rod so I'm going to start at the rod weight and experiment from there.

Its a #7 and I don't have a lot of lines but I do have a 6/7 switch line, 8/9 switch, #8 single handed spey so I'll start with them and see what happens

Mick_G

Reaction score
Hi Alan, where would you recommend buying the cork pieces from for a custom handle, for me second switch build I’m going to fit a full custom handle as it’s a rod I’ll be keeping

yours looks excellent so far, well done!

mick

SnapT14

Reaction score
Hi Alan, where would you recommend buying the cork pieces from for a custom handle, for me second switch build I’m going to fit a full custom handle as it’s a rod I’ll be keeping

yours looks excellent so far, well done!

mick
Search 'cork rings' on ebay and you will find a company, incidentally called 'cork rings' based in Lurosa, Portugal. They are the best by miles......

Quite quick delivery too.

Petch94

Reaction score
Now on to the main handle

Again, its all about the planning, get everything in order before you start glueing, don't want to build your handle only to find you've missed something. I dry fitted everything first

View attachment 58689

Next, fit and glue

View attachment 58690

On to the turner again

View attachment 58691

After profiling

View attachment 58692

View attachment 58693

Tidied up a bit

View attachment 58694

Overall, this was an interesting phase. I based the handle on another rod that I liked the profile but was never happy with the diameter as it was a mm or two too small for me (honestly 1 or 2 mm can make or break a grip).
I think this is about the perfect diameter but I wont really know till it can be casted. In any event I can turn it down if needed. Better that way than the other way lol
Looks a great job! What material did you use for the thin strips of green colour in the handle? Thin strips of EVA? I’ve just started my first build and I’d like to incorporate something similar myself.
Cheers
Petch

DC

Reaction score
Looks a great job! What material did you use for the thin strips of green colour in the handle? Thin strips of EVA? I’ve just started my first build and I’d like to incorporate something similar myself.
Cheers
Petch
Good shout was thinking that also , what was the material used to create the coloured rings ?

AlanT

Reaction score
Good shout was thinking that also , what was the material used to create the coloured rings ?
Cheers
Petch
I used closed cell foam

AlanT

Reaction score
Next phase for me was to make a wrapping jig and dryer

Wrapping jig

Again, I made the jigs out of the same surplus skirting board. No frills just a quick build. The rubberised wheels were off ebay, very cheap. The bases also mounted on rubber feet for grip

I mounted both supports on a rail where they can slide to a comfortable spacing where required, and it keeps them in line

The block at the back also slides along the rail so the wrapping thread can be moved to the optimum position, still waiting on the thread tensioners.

20210403_133733.jpg

20210403_133726.jpg

20210404_130811.jpg

Dryer

The dryer was made up of a cheap motor and chuck (a push-in rod making chuck). I like the motor as it is bi-directional without changing the wiring. To switch direction its just a matter of holding the chuck while its running and the excess resistance switches it to turn the opposite way.

20210404_133250.jpg

20210404_125230.jpg

20210404_125947.jpg

The dryer works in conjunction with one of the wrapping jigs sliden off the rail

20210404_130645.jpg

20210404_130651.jpg

All in, although it is a bit Heath Robinson, everything works really well, and took very little time to knock up.

I just need to find time to start putting the line guides on.

Last edited:

Mick_G

Reaction score
Hi Alan, could I ask where you found the motor? It looks the same as the motor on my pac bay Turner but mines 110v which is a pain in the a*se!

westie4566

Reaction score
Hi Alan, could I ask where you found the motor? It looks the same as the motor on my pac bay Turner but mines 110v which is a pain in the a*se!
Hi Mick

I had the same dilemma when I purchased my turner 12 years ago. I simply went on ebay and bought an adaptor/converter which solved the issue for a few quid.

Mick_G

Reaction score
Perfect thanks Alan, I take it your work is/was based around engineering? Everything you’ve put together so far has been really well thought out and very tidy!

keep up the good work!

AlanT

Reaction score
Perfect thanks Alan, I take it your work is/was based around engineering? Everything you’ve put together so far has been really well thought out and very tidy!

keep up the good work!
Yes always been in engineering industry one way or another. Started out in defence, 13yrs, spent the last 25+ in medical device so have a whole range of experience.

These jigs and fixtures are very basic and at the low end of what I would normally do for a diy job but are sufficient for the task, sometimes I challenge myself to see how basic I can go to achieve something. Everything you see here is just lashed up by hand

If I thought I'd get into rod building I'd make a professional job of it lol but somehow can't see it. Although I'm enjoying this first build I've not been bitten by the bug (thankfully) but it has passed the time during lockdown. My goal is to build about 5 rods to cover everything, trout and salmon, then start sell off my other rods. Like everyone else I've got too much equipment (not as much as most admittedly) but need to trim down a bit.

I'd like to be totally self sufficient, vices, flies, rods, reels but unfortunately I don't have access to a machine shop any longer so can't finish the dream by making a set of reels.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Yes always been in engineering industry one way or another. Started out in defence, 13yrs, spent the last 25+ in medical device so have a whole range of experience.

These jigs and fixtures are very basic and at the low end of what I would normally do for a diy job but are sufficient for the task, sometimes I challenge myself to see how basic I can go to achieve something. Everything you see here is just lashed up by hand

If I thought I'd get into rod building I'd make a professional job of it lol but somehow can't see it. Although I'm enjoying this first build I've not been bitten by the bug (thankfully) but it has passed the time during lockdown. My goal is to build about 5 rods to cover everything, trout and salmon, then start sell off my other rods. Like everyone else I've got too much equipment (not as much as most admittedly) but need to trim down a bit.

I'd like to be totally self sufficient, vices, flies, rods, reels but unfortunately I don't have access to a machine shop any longer so can't finish the dream by making a set of reels.
Your set up is hardly basic, Alan.

I can't seem to lay my hands on by wrapping jig that I made years ago (buried somewhere in the basement!), So I've gone really, really basic and gone for the cut down cardboard box, thread in mug and tensioned through a heavy book method. 😅

So far it's working just fine.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Your set up is hardly basic, Alan.

I can't seem to lay my hands on by wrapping jig that I made years ago (buried somewhere in the basement!), So I've gone really, really basic and gone for the cut down cardboard box, thread in mug and tensioned through a heavy book method. 😅

So far it's working just fine.

I'm one step up from you Westie ;p I got a 6 bottle crate from the wine shop rather than cardboard. Drilled a hole on the back middle board to slot my fly tying bobbin in for the tension

Bonito

Reaction score
I`m a few steps down from you. One end of the rod sits in the semi circle on the dod of wood and held down lightly with knicker elastic, (note the two wee pins in the side of the dod of wood, high tech, fully adjustable pressure). Thread spool sits on an old bit of blank glued into another dod of wood. Opposite end of the rod is in my hands. Tensioners are dead simple, I`ve got 5 on each hand. That set up has literally built hundreds of rods over the years
P1140619.JPG
P1150121.JPG
P1150122.JPG

fixedspool

Reaction score

Seems to me its a question of turning a molehill into a mountain to climb/ A simple job turns into a hi tech exercise.