11’6” custom switch build

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve started another switch rod for my pal this time. He’s left all the detail to myself so I’ve picked the colour and cork. It’s a surprise so I Hope he likes it. I’m waiting on winding checks and more black thread to get both switch rods finished. They both all still need the epoxy finish. I’m away to start that now. The handle on this one should be dry later so I will turn the cork then and post more pics.
108211CA-CD66-40D2-881B-399ACFFBCCF0.jpeg
0FD33B9C-15DE-4A5D-9DB5-115F01D07524.jpeg
0C866EF5-CFC3-416F-B06A-0824621B2501.jpeg
49A1BC9A-6B95-4901-9168-C10E39B021F3.jpeg
EC47209F-BCDB-4320-83FF-F5BE3C589F68.jpeg

lefthandup

Reaction score
I’ve started another switch rod for my pal this time. He’s left all the detail to myself so I’ve picked the colour and cork. It’s a surprise so I Hope he likes it. I’m waiting on winding checks and more black thread to get both switch rods finished. They both all still need the epoxy finish. I’m away to start that now. The handle on this one should be dry later so I will turn the cork then and post more pics. View attachment 48767View attachment 48768View attachment 48769View attachment 48770View attachment 48771
I'd love a handle like that on my old lpxe ?
Nice.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I'd love a handle like that on my old lpxe ?
Nice.
I’ve used mainly flor with black stains to keep the weight down with a few burnt rings and discs with some black thunder cactus for the butt and middle top handle. I’m looking forward to turning it later tonight once it dry to see how it turns out. I will post up pics later once it’s done.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Thats cracking wish I had friends like that ?
Thanks mate. It’s for my pal. He’s a good lad. Hes took a couple days out to spend with me and mainly my son trying to get him his first fish. This is a thank you. I’m not taking anything to build it for him Much to his annoyance he’s just covering the parts. I’m more than happy with that. He’s dying to know what it looks like and I’ve been winding him up saying he’s going to love the pink detailing ?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just finished turning the handle and the cork sealer is just about dry. I’m pleased with it. Just the writing and epoxy finish left to do on both switch rods. I’m going to start a 13ft next. I’m going greens and yellows as the blank is a beautiful olive green. Same a the sage tcx’s. I will update this thread and other switch thread as I get them finished a post a new one for the 13ft.
DADF2F3E-6520-493F-9A98-1E9691386156.jpeg
1B6A5FF0-7C1D-4417-A429-BF6D5190B2EA.jpeg

Attachments

• 8EDC1C54-DF8A-4613-97E6-154ED1B04F45.jpeg
    8EDC1C54-DF8A-4613-97E6-154ED1B04F45.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28

SEDGY

Reaction score
Am with you.....well worth getting a bespoke handle made for maximum feel , comfort and power. For instance, always hear anglers going on about the disappointing quality of the handle on the excellent Shakespeare rods, so why not pay for a new handle ? What sort of cost would that be in your opinion please?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Am with you.....well worth getting a bespoke handle made for maximum feel , comfort and power. For instance, always hear anglers going on about the disappointing quality of the handle on the excellent Shakespeare rods, so why not pay for a new handle ? What sort of cost would that be in your opinion please?
Yeh the other switch rod I’m building is to replace my sons shakey oracle. A great rod and lovely looking blank. But cheap guides crap build quality and a handle that looks like a dogs chewed it and it’s just been filled up.
Ive been speaking to a few guys lately about handle replacement and Ross from RJC said you can get away with replacing the butt fitting the cork rings from the bottom up. But the only way to replace the top handle properly is to sand the epoxy over the writing and fit the cork rings from the top down because of the taper on the blank. Flor top quality cork and rubberised cork for a 2 hand rod will cost around £50 so it’s not cheap to buy.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Just finished turning the handle and the cork sealer is just about dry. I’m pleased with it. Just the writing and epoxy finish left to do on both switch rods. I’m going to start a 13ft next. I’m going greens and yellows as the blank is a beautiful olive green. Same a the sage tcx’s. I will update this thread and other switch thread as I get them finished a post a new one for the 13ft. View attachment 48794View attachment 48795

Very nice. Your friend is a very lucky man.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
30898D1D-1786-4132-BE5C-B6D3D4A96AAE.jpeg
Another coat of epoxy and the whole rod will be finished. I will post up pics tomorrow of the completed rod before my pal is off with it. He’s still not seen any of it yet and is dying to see it now. I hope he likes orange.