“Woodcock Club”

FinlayTFishing

Reaction score
Evening Gents

On Tuesday this week I was lucky enough to shoot a left and right woodcock with my trusty side by side.

This is something I have always wanted to achieve, and is a welcome entry into this years game diary.

Has anyone else been lucky enough to shoot a pair or have had a shot at the jackpot?

Or is anyone a legitimate member of the Shooting Times Woodcock club that would care share their story?

I’d love to hear your stories!

Best wishes
Fin

Tyke777

Reaction score
Well done Fin,
Some achievement, I have had just two opportunities - and I have done a lot of shooting.
The first many years ago, on a shoot in Bilsdale here in Yorkshire, hit the first bird and missed the second because I know I rushed the shot - saw the two birds together, took the first and completely missed the second, shook my head for weeks when I thought about it.
The other opportunity was again 20 years ago, Isle of Mull, shooting patches of Rhododendrons, especially planted for woodcock shooting - I hit the first, dropping the bird in open ground to my right - the second flew across me in front right to left - a long shot dropped it in front, right in the middle of rhodies, they were 6 foot tall, no ground cover so we guessed the bird must have run, I've seen them, they can go! - searched for 30 minutes but couldn't pick it, I was devastated as it was witnessed by the gun on my left but didn't claim the prize as I couldn't find the bird.
I can picture both birds in my minds eye as though it was yesterday.
Thanks Fin for giving me the memories again.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
My late father in law in East Yorkshire shot so many lefts and rights on woodcock that Bols stopped giving him bottles! He was a remarkable shot, notable for his speed with driven partridges, where on several occasions I saw him take three from a covey with a single gun.

I can only lay claim to two lefts and rights on woodcock, both witnessed, but I never approached either ST or Bols for a prize. The sense of achievement was quite enough for me, especially on the last occasion when both were retrieved by my old dog Misha. That was a relatively easy shot as both birds came down the wood edge together in close formation from left to right. My greatest concern was to ensure the shot line below tree-top height didn't endanger any beaters or flankers.

westie4566

Reaction score
Bloody well done Finlay, that's some achievement.

I only shot briefly back as a young un and have never had a Woodcock. That's not to say I haven't devoured quote a few over the decades, a lovely tasty bird. (I'll avoid the fnarr, fnarr bit...lol).

Yet again, nice one young un! (y) I know quite a few experienced guns who'd be very jealous of that.

(You just need add to your Woodcock tally by getting one on the back cast on yon auld Shakey :ROFLMAO: )

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
My pal Steffan did manage one whilst rough shooting together a few years ago, me....I have had one opportunity, but was unable to take the shots: Not two but three woodcock came out of a patch of gorse and flew in front of me going from left to right...sadly i could not take a shot as below me where the local farmers prize Dorset sheep, and if it hit one of them....well i think we know the rest. I am however quite pleased with how quickly my mind worked and told me "don't" as it was the correct decision not to lift the gun!

Bullet

Reaction score
I've had one opportunity, I virtually trod on them when out rough shooting around the edge of a wood.
Dropped the first and missed the second, I was gutted, particularly as neither were especially hard....

Handel

Reaction score
Evening Gents

On Tuesday this week I was lucky enough to shoot a left and right woodcock with my trusty side by side.

This is something I have always wanted to achieve, and is a welcome entry into this years game diary.

Has anyone else been lucky enough to shoot a pair or have had a shot at the jackpot?

Or is anyone a legitimate member of the Shooting Times Woodcock club that would care share their story?

Best wishes
Fin
Did you eat them?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Evening Gents

Best wishes
Fin
Well done sir and my congratulations to you.
It’s never been my thing but a friend of mine who I met through vintage fishing tackle just loved the sport.
Sad that he gave up really but on my week on the Don with him, he would get so excited just to talk about the Woodcock club and what was involved to get in it?
He said they’re a strange bird and had seen places that didn’t normally get many, on occasions would be full of em?

Loxie

Reaction score
My closest came many years ago I was in a clearing in a wood on a pheasant shoot. A woodcock flitted over. I shot it and as I opened my gun I saw the second, closed the gun and shot it.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Does owning these guns involve stringent checks regularly?
Sadly my friend who loved the sport ended up packing it in because of something to do with many visits over his cabinets?
I don’t there was any Ill will but after moving next door I remember this being the reason for him packing it in alongside his age as well.
It kinda went over my head at the time re this Woodcock club but it does sound like a difficult thing to do?

PestyIan

Reaction score
Being a below average shot I often surprised myself shooting wookcock and snipe. I think the fact they are fast and take you by surprise means I shoot instinctively and swing at em. I began to find it easy and was shocked when I missed one. I've just never had the chance at a left and right.....even though I **** so many. When I was gamekeeing I took the snipe and woodcock shooting as a perk of the job as we seemed to have so many. We had one drive on the edge of the Moor that we only did once a year, one day the guns had 3 left and rights in one drive!
In all the years shooting them I have never eaten one as I just didn't fancy it.....as I found people willing to eat them becoming increasingly rare I decided I would never shoot another as I just couldn't justify it.....until this year when I sat on a duck pond for evening flight and woodcock after woodcock flew over. Eventually I threw up my gun and shot one. And for the first time I decided I'd better eat it.
Woodcock stir fry

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_093226.jpg
    IMG_20220114_093226.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Andrew B

Reaction score
Being a below average shot I often surprised myself shooting wookcock and snipe. I think the fact they are fast and take you by surprise means I shoot instinctively and swing at em. I began to find it easy and was shocked when I missed one. I've just never had the chance at a left and right.....even though I **** so many. When I was gamekeeing I took the snipe and woodcock shooting as a perk of the job as we seemed to have so many. We had one drive on the edge of the Moor that we only did once a year, one day the guns had 3 left and rights in one drive!
In all the years shooting them I have never eaten one as I just didn't fancy it.....as I found people willing to eat them becoming increasingly rare I decided I would never shoot another as I just couldn't justify it.....until this year when I sat on a duck pond for evening flight and woodcock after woodcock flew over. Eventually I threw up my gun and shot one. And for the first time I decided I'd better eat it.
Woodcock stir fry
Colne had a fruit n veg/game shop and I’m going back to the eighties as a kid but outside was hung pheasants, Rabbits and possibly hares and in the back whole deer carcasses and for sure rod caught salmon.
As a kid who’d only seen butchered meat, the sight freaked me out and I’ve never tried game ever.

The best thing I seen on cooking Woodcock was on master chef professionals, where Monica gave em a challenge to prepare a Woodcock for cooking. Monica kinda tucked the head and beak in before cooking it. Michel Roux went berserk at the lack of respect these would be pros had in trying to prepare these Woodcock being as they are highly prized.