‘Brown’ winging material

Jockiescott

Reaction score
SnapT14's lovely hairwing last night, the Millcraig Good, got me thinking about this again.

I’m looking for a winging material to make hairwing versions of classic Irish winged patterns.

A friend of mine has an old Green Silk in a box and the wing on it is a lovely rich reddish brown colour. Almost ginger. I’m not even sure of the material, it could be red squirrel. I really don’t know.

I have a wee patch of bucktail that was dyed a deep sunburst orange/yellow shade. The dark hairs on it are as close as I would have to the colour I’m looking for.

84D9C9BB-FB49-458E-B71F-0D5659309102.jpeg

I was looking at bucktails online last night and saw brown, fiery brown, ginger and Rootbeer? Rootbeer is a new one on me.

Would anyone have any suggestions to which I should go for? If any?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Cheers sir! 👍

I might have to give this dyeing lark a go myself! 🙈😬

Looking at your Buck tail. It's more a brown Olive on the back given the original aim was Sunburst..

I've dyed quite a few Sunburst bucktail lol I must dig about in the skip see what's left and if it's any use or can be redyed

uskgrub

Reaction score
Have a look at the pic of a natural fox squirrel tail i just posted in snap t14's thread millcraig gold, it may be pretty close mate

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Have a look at the pic of a natural fox squirrel tail i just posted in snap t14's thread millcraig gold, it may be pretty close mate

Thanks uskgrub.

I have a fox squirrel tail and have tied a few hairwings with it but it’s not quite what I’m looking for.

I should have stole that one from my friends box as he didn’t know what he had! 😂. It would have made it much easier to describe here.

Jockiescott

Reaction score

I knew I’d shown a fly using fox squirrel.

The colour I have in my head would be more the colour of a natural red squirrel, if that makes sense.

Maybe the original fly was tied with our native red squirrel. I’m not sure, but it was a beautiful shade.

gwelsher

Reaction score
The colour I have in my head would be more the colour of a natural red squirrel, if that makes sense.

Maybe the original fly was tied with our native red squirrel. I’m not sure, but it was a beautiful shade.

This is natural Red Squirrel. This tail is probably over 40 years old. It has a lovely colour.

Red Squirrel.jpg

This is a Jimmy tied with it

Jimmy1.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
This is natural Red Squirrel. This tail is probably over 40 years old. It has a lovely colour.

View attachment 59535

This is a Jimmy tied with it

View attachment 59534
I have a couple of red squirrel tails left, both about 20 years old. Road kill from friends who lived in red squirrel territory and near a busy road. Used to get a reasonably regular supply.

Not tied a Jimmy for yonks and it used to take fish too.

Thanks for the reminder (y)

Slaneysider

Reaction score
“Russian” squirrel tail is a fantastic light brown natural material if you can find some.
I'm looking for it for the last few years can't get it, I wanted to tie some blue charms , you can dye squirrel tail but it's just not the same in my eyes you can never get that shade of brown through dying, not that it makes much difference to Salmon but if you feel more confident fishing a certain fly you have more interest and you actually fish a pool better, well that's just my two cents anway.