Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Maiden

Default Ice Maiden

The name of the fly reminds me rather ironically of most of the women in my life.

Tying Materials

Tube: Veniard Slipstream copper 1" long
    Thread: Red
    Tag and rib: Charteuse medium wire
    Body: Opal Mirage tinsel over holographic charteuse tinsel
    Wing: Blended white and charteuse dyed bucktail overlaid with strands of mother of pearl Krystalflash
    Cheeks: Jungle cock

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the tube in the collet

Step 2: Tie in red thread around the mid section of the tube.

Step 3: Catch in a length of charteuse wire and wind the thread back to the rear end of the body.

Step 4: Form a tag by winding the wire for 6 touching turns. Tie the wire in place and bend it back.

Step 5: Catch in a length of wide Opal Mirage tinsel.

Step 6: Wind the thread to the front end of the tube and catch in a length of wide holographic chartreuse tinsel.

Step 7: Wind the tinsel to the tag and back to the front end of the tube. Apply a small smear of superglue gel along the top of the tinsel.

Step 8: Wind the Mirage in touching turns to the front end of the tube.

Step 9: Wind the wire in open turns to form rib.

Step 10: Cut bunches of white dyed and chartreuse dyed bucktail.

Step 11: Blend the bucktail in your hand by rolling it around. Tie a slim bunch to the top of the tube.

Step 12: Repeat at the bottom of the tube.

Step 13: Infil around the sides taking care not to apply too much. The body should be visible through the wing that is now tied 'in the round'.

Step 14: Tie in 2 doubled lengths of mother of pearl Krystalflash.Stretch the material before trimming it to the length of the wing.

Step 15: Rotate the vice and repeat the process.

Step 16: Tidy up the head with wraps of thread.

Step 17: Prepare 2 jungle cock nails as shown.

Step 18: Tie both in with locking turns of thread.

Step 19: Varnish to complete.

Step 20: Happy fishing to you

I really like your tyings - functional and "real world" that most can emulate. Many thanks for sharing

Thanks for that !!

Hi PP

Nice fly but not really an ice maiden as theres no blue in it and the body is quite dark so no "glow"

Tight lines

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    I really like your tyings - functional and "real world" that most can emulate. Many thanks for sharing
    I couldn't agree more with this. We are used to seeing an exceptionaly high standard of tying and even photography on here that ( and please don't take this the wrong way Perry as I myself am included in it) that it's nice to see tyings from us journey -men fly tiers

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by mc andy; 22-01-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Great sbs. Would fish that all day long

Very nice and thanks for taking the time to post

Quote Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
    Hi PP

Nice fly but not really an ice maiden as theres no blue in it and the body is quite dark so no "glow"

Tight lines

Richard
    Its more of an Ice Maiden than some of the "Wullie Guns" you see labelled as such on here every week .

That fly will glow in the water no problem .

Hmm I beg to differ - it's not an Ice maiden and the way it's tied doesnt make use of blended colours and the lighter base which took a little bit of experimenting to figure out. Totally agree with WG variants though but I guess as long as the salmon don't mind why should we!

Tight lines

Richard

Thanks for the great easy to follow sbs pics, like the fly so have tied some and am sure will be successful with them. I have tied them on aluminium tubes instead of copper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast