Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River Ure 2016

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    I haven't been there for a few years, but the Blue Lion certainly used to be great. Funnily enough, I was talking about it a week or so ago, and got the impression that it was still good, although my informant said that their beat wasn't the most attractive - I got the impression it was a bit canal-like. Maybe local experts can comment?

The other pub I have very fond memories of is the Forester's Arms at Carlton in Coverdale. Again, it's been a few years and I know it's changed hands, but the menu still looks good, and it has good reviews on Tripadvisor.
    I might be wrong but one of the more productive pools is on the Blue Lion beat and from walking up there I wouldn't describe any of it as canal like.
    I had a reliable report of a springer seen in the Tanfield area this week. Un fortunately we are getting the usual spring drought and cold weather but I bet all the late winter water brought some fish up.

SP8

Can't comment on its appearance but I have certainly heard it is productive and the package price is good.

Default River Ure 2016

Opening day on the Ure today. One salmon reported and photographed on the Ure Salmon Forum Facebook page.

Saw this Michael! Great for the river and some way up past Nayburn too!

Default September 2016

Tuesday 13th September was the hottest day of the year in the Vale of York, with the temperature hitting 30C before midday. Back in April I had booked the 13th for a 2-rod day for a guest and myself. I stood my guest down over the weekend as the water level and weather made the prospects so poor that he would have been wasting his time.

However, being both an optimist and a Yorkshireman reluctant to write off his investment, I decided to fish at the end of the day, through and beyond last light. If nothing else there might be a chance of a decent sea trout.

I arrived on the water just before 4pm, when fortuitously hazy cloud was starting to obscure the sun. Despite the air temperature of 26.5C, the water was running at a very respectable 17.5, well within the fishable range. The MCX Calculator came out at 4, so I set up my 12 footer with a long light fluorocarbon leader and a #14 Ally Shrimp double. Going down the first pool a couple of fish showed, one brown and the other a pleasingly bright steel of about 10-12 lbs. I failed to connect with either or stimulate any other response, and on completion headed off downstream, where the very shallow water present all manner of challenges.

As the light faded I came back up to re-fish the first pool. With the lower light level the MCX score had edged up to 5, so I increased my fly size to a #8 MCX Dark for the head fast water and a #10 for the rest, whilst reducing the length of the leader to a more dark-manageable 11 feet. Responding remarkably well to my cunning plan, the salmon woke up on cue at sunset, which caused my optimism to soar. About my 6th cast in the fast water, working a very short line, I had a strong take at the dangle, possibly the hyper-active 8-9 pounder I'd been watching for 3-4 minutes dosing on oxygen. Unfortunately, like so many head on encounters at the dangle it didn't stay on. Never mind, I thought, we're just getting down to business.

However, it was not to be. In the next 3 minutes the sky went completely black, transforming gentle evening light into utter Stygian darkness. Worse still, the darkness was sundered by a spectacular lightning show. As I had no desire to demonstrate the conductivity of carbon by transforming into a beetroot crisp, I got out of the water in a flash and packed up in record time. Luck was with me: I had just got back into the car after passing and closing the 4th gate when the first blobs of rain arrived.

By the time I reached Bedale and the M1 the downpour was biblical but brief: 2 miles south of Leeming the road was dry. Clearly this wasn't the basis for a sustained spate, just 8 hours of lift and 16 of chocolate, and certainly not enough to give me any certainty for next Tuesday's booking. It's always the way with me: the more I wish the less likely it is to happen. I suspect that's the same for all salmon anglers.

I head a new word used on Radio 4 the other morning - "anticipointment" - which seemed to sum up the condition quite neatly. Perhaps we should add it to the Forum lexicon.
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 15-09-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Anticipointment should enter broader lexicon, never mind here. Great read.

Great read.
    Interesting and informative, keep them coming for us less experienced Ure anglers.
    Thanks again.
    Esk1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12