Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default Ebola - Cull demanded

A cull to stop the spread of Ebola has been demanded:

LINK

Did you see the thing on the BBC news website the other day,it was truly gruesome,going back to 2013 to a child called something like subject zero,it linked Ebola to the preparation of bushmeat,apparently bats carry the virus without it affecting them.

Very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyantiquefly View Post
    Did you see the thing on the BBC news website the other day,it was truly gruesome,going back to 2013 to a child called something like subject zero,it linked Ebola to the preparation of bushmeat,apparently bats carry the virus without it affecting them.

Very disturbing.
    Missed that. It does surprise me that it infects a human (or several) and moves through the population before being stopped. Then nothing before it appears again a few years later. There are other diseases that can be carried by an unaffected host too before having a nasty affect on humans.

The link made me think about how we clear diseases - can you actually eradicate the host?

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Living and working in Africa as I do, I am getting mighty tired of being asked about my chances of being a carrier, and the lack of perspective the news agencies have.

Many more folk die annually of poor sanitation, poor hospitals and malaria etc. than will ever be killed by ebola.

Luckily (shoorly shome mishtake) now some folk in the West have got infected so that should engage the cogs of the drug industries to find a "cure". Perhaps now there'll be a re-instatement of foreign aid to help bolster the health services, since the West reduced that a few years ago

Scaremongering, and piffle. Blanket news coverage is getting tiresome now. It's all going Doom-and-Gloom.

Ebola scare, aye right, it's right up there with Anthropogenic Global Warming, Marine Mortality / Netters / Chappers / Seals / Cormorants Threatening the Salmon; and Western life being under threat from Islamic extremism...

People need to get out more (er. but not on planes from W Africa)

PS - Like the Brock Pollowick.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Good stat doing the rounds on Twitter: more Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola.

Puts it in perspective. And we should pray for her ex-husbands.

"Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence"

Quote Originally Posted by getthenet View Post
    Have you looked at some of his other articles? It must be exhausting being that paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by getthenet View Post

Too much Gaa-Gaa juice, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    It must be exhausting being that paranoid.
    It is !
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    It is !
    But you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you!

Regards, Tyke.