Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  93
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alex Salmond

But if you've kids they get free uni.
    You get free prescriptions
    Your council TAX tends to be far less.
    So for the majority of Scots you probably pay less overall tax than if you are in England.

That's why I'm asking Andy.
    Would be really be paying more tax.

I possibly pay more tax, but would be close with having a laddie at college.

Cheers Mows

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    So for the majority of Scots you probably pay less overall tax than if you are in England.

Cheers Mows
    Free Uni?
    For the lucky ones. Places at universities have been cut right back for Scottish students in favour of non Scottish students that pay!

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post

Cheers Mows
    Sorry, Alan.
    You are mixing up taxation with vote catching stunts that the S.N.P. used to attract the votes of the lesser paid population.
    I don't have a child at Uni, not many working class families do, nor do I draw heavily and fortunately usually not at all, on prescriptions, the jury is out on Council Tax but again that was suppressed for years by another vote catching gimmick, much to the disapproval of those who value local services.
    Bottom line is, in Scotland, the average person earning 25k + pays way more tax than in England.
    Last edited by keirstream; 30-03-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    Free Uni?
    For the lucky ones. Places at universities have been cut right back for Scottish students in favour of non Scottish students that pay!
    I don't disagree there.
    It's an absolute disgrace, that's never got the bad press it's deserved.
    When my eldest was looking for clearance places, there was only about 4 courses.
    I changed my location to England and suddenly there was about 30 courses available.
    It will be interesting to see how it works out now that they wont be giving free places to everywhere in Europe.

So, uni isn't really free in Scotland. It is for those who get in, but overall we're paying by not getting as many Scottish kids through university, which is not good for the future of the economy or country.
    Prescriptions used to be free for those that really needed them and couldn't afford to pay, and were heavily subsidised for everyone. The whole free prescription thing is just a vote winner - and it looks like it has worked. Someone like me, currently in a good job and with disposable income, should (IMO) not get free prescriptions.
    Council tax - can't comment on whether we get better or worse services than our friends down south, but our services have certainly gone downhill in the last few years.
    It's all as populist as BoJo, just for a different audience.

J'Accuse - Craig Murray

Detailed assessment of the Salmond trial.
    J

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345