Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  116
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Six Nations 2020.

Time doesn't half fly these days. Another 6 Nations upon us.
    So for this season: What can we expect! New French, Irish & Welsh coaches, England looking strong after a good World Cup, Scotland smarting from a World Cup exit....lets not forget what happened during the 6 Nations after Wales and England left the World Cup party early! Finally Italy we will be saying a good bye to a legend of the game as Parisse bows out.
    So discuss throw around some banter and enjoy....here we go again.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Last edited by Aled; 14-01-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Well its a bit quiet here guys?
    Cheers
    Aled

Saracens centre Nick Tompkins: Anybody know anything about this guy? Apparently he has a Welsh Grandmother.
    Aled

Quote Originally Posted by Aled View Post
    Well its a bit quiet here guys?
    Cheers
    Aled
    Give us a chance, only just recovering from the world cup.

Looking forward to the tournament as usual though a little apprehensive with our change in management, excited by the posibility of a new style of play, concerned over the long term injuries and intrigued by some of the uncapped players in the initial squad.

Rees-zammit always said he was committed to wales though rolands and tompkins have appeared from nowhere.
    English fans seem irked by the possible loss of rolands.

As for the opposition, a few more new coaching setups. How will farrall adapt to being top dog in ireland with an agimg squad?

Can edwards avoid stifling the french attacking joie de vivre while still bringing defensive structure? They'll be a force to be reckoned with if he can.

Eddie must fancy his chances. Management continuity, a reducing injury list and playing resources aplenty (he wont miss the couple we've snaffled). Can they overcome their reputation of bottlers to win the grand slam?

As for scotland, they are taking on the french mantle. Which scotland will turn up?

Italy, alas, will struggle further without their talisman.
    Id love the 6 nations committe to get their thumbs from up their arses and go for a 2 tier tournament with promotion and relegation.
    It would be short term pain for italy, but i think long term gain for a number of countries.

2 and a bit weeks to go.
    Plenty of time for the enthusiasm to build Aled.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post
    Rees-zammit always said he was committed to wales though rolands and tompkins have appeared from nowhere.
    English fans seem irked by the possible loss of rolands.
    Wrong way round. English rugby always has produced lock forwards in quantity. If you asked round the regular fans at the premiership clubs they wouldn't put Rowlands in the top ten locks in the premiership. That is partly because he is a late developer having got himself an education before turning to professional rugby - an Oxbridge graduate no less! But at age 28 he really only has two full seasons of first team rugby behind him. He was Wasps players' player of the season in 18-19. But my point is English fans aren't that bothered and his father is Welsh and, I hear, a keen rugby man.

Tompkins is a whole different matter. Centres are just as much at a premium in England as they are in Wales. He is very highly rated across the whole premiership and every other club other than his own (Saracens) would love to have him. He would walk straight into the Harlequins first team for sure. And the annoying thing is that up until now he hasn't really been a member of Saracens first choice team. He has played plenty of rugby but when the big games come round he seems to be left out. He was in the England U-20 team that won the world junior championships and is now 24. England's midfield is still a mess and plenty of England supporters think that Tompkins should have been part of the solution. It is his loss that England fans are irked about and that it is down to a grandmother doesn't help.

Ireland seem to have moved on a couple of their old age pensioners (Best and Kearney) but still have several and one of them, Sexton, has been made captain. But if Burns is their third choice 10 then maybe they need to keep Sexton going. The Burns brothers are regarded in England as talented but flaky. Neither of them ever managed to hold down a shirt at one club, they always seemed to be moving on.

I am looking forward to seeing what a proper coaching team (at last) can do with France. Surely this must be the year they get their act together.

Nice one gents: Yes I thought there was more fuss in England about losing Tomkins than Rowlands. There we are though, under IRB rules they are eligible for Wales so lets see how they go. France hmm yes well? um don't know what else to say! Lets wait and see.
    Parrisse, as I understand it, he's going to make one last performance for Italy at Rome to say goodbye and will I believe get a well deserved farewell from all the rugby fraternity. He is a legend of the 6 Nations.
    Cheers
    Aled

Well, any changes of opinion now the squads have been named?

Billy will be a big loss to England, whilst his cousin Taulupe returning for Wales is a big gain for us.

(Slight asside, but another of their cousins has come up through the age grades and has his sights on a Welsh cap in a couple years. Big lump he is too.)

All teams have named a smattering of uncapped players in their squads.
    England omit 8 of their RWC squad, four through injury, and add 8 uncapped players, including a certain Jacob Umaga. If he's half the player uncle Tana was he'll do ok.

A few talisman missing for a number of nations after retirement (Alan Wyn still there though ).

France with 19 uncapped players in their squad
    All bar one of their squad under 30.

The 6 nations after a RWC is always a bit odd with all the changes in personnel. None the less intriguing for it though.

10 days to go.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

No-one's mentioned the "Saracens factor" in the England changing room..........discuss.

All involved knew what they were up to. As cheats they should not be representing England. (Or should they)

Discuss

Last edited by ozzyian; 22-01-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Aled View Post
    Nice one gents: Yes I thought there was more fuss in England about losing Tomkins than Rowlands. There we are though, under IRB rules they are eligible for Wales so lets see how they go. France hmm yes well? um don't know what else to say! Lets wait and see.
    Parrisse, as I understand it, he's going to make one last performance for Italy at Rome to say goodbye and will I believe get a well deserved farewell from all the rugby fraternity. He is a legend of the 6 Nations.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Oh jeez, they're targeting the Scotland game to see him off!!!!

Not much certainty with Scotland. The only thing I would say is that I expect the Calcutta Cup to remain in EH12 5PJ for a third year (do we then get to keep it?)

Quite a few Antipodeans showing up at Twickenham these days, obvs the ABs don't rate Umaga jnr?
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast