Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    3,145

    Default Any plumbers out there?! Advice required!

    Hi All,

    Hoping we have a friendly plumber on board the SFF ship who can offer some simple advice.

    I recently had to replace the drain exit on a Wedi Fundo shower drain because it had cracked and was leaking into the lounge. This is the culprit:

    wedi Fundo Drain Kits - Tiling Supplies Direct

    So, I bought a new set, and installed the drain and a new section of welded 40mm waste pipe, using a 50mm to 40mm reducer like this - it was a VERY tight fit and given the fact the previous one had split possibly due to being glued in a very tight fit (and on advice from the chap at Travis Perkins) I sanded it down a little to make it a smoother fit:

    Solvent Weld Reducer 50 x 40mm White

    So far so good, until the above connection started leaking!

    On inspection it seems that the reducer hadn't 'welded' to the black shower drain exit pipe as it should. So I think the problem is either:

    1. The black plastic of the shower drain is different from the white waste pipe and doesn't work with solvent as normal;
    2. I sanded off too much and the gap was just too big (although I would imagine the weld would still work to some degree?). I can't imagine it is this, because it was about as tight as the normal solvent weld joints on the 40mm waste pipe;
    3. I didn't use enough solvent?

    So, I am going to have to buy a new kit, and work out a way of fixing it. I think my options are:

    1. Use the same bits as before but a different solvent/glue;
    2. Use a compression reducer like this - compression reducer.
    3. Use a push fit reducer like this - push fit reducer.
    4. Use a rubber reducer like this - rubber reducer.
    5. Or is there another way I've not thought of.

    Any and all advice very welcome!

    Thanks all,
    Oscar.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Co Antrim/ Qatar
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    The rubber redcuer looks a good option, or the compression fitting thats what you would have on bath which is basically the same idea. If the welding option has leaked twice I wouldnt bother with that again !! Is there no other drain kits that you can use that are maybe a better option??
    Last edited by skyhook; 08-01-2020 at 09:57 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    I've no experience with these fittings but I do use solvent weld pipe a bit at work. I would say that if you have to sand things down to fit there is something wrong somewhere. Make sure all your pipe and fittings are solvent weld, push fit is different diameter than solvent weld pipe.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cotswolds
    Posts
    2,271

    Default

    With apologies Oscar - Get a Plumber.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyhook View Post
    The rubber redcuer looks a good option, or the compression fitting thats what you would have on bath which is basically the same idea. If the welding option has leaked twice I wouldnt bother with that again !! Is there no other drain kits that you can use that are maybe a better option??
    It's only leaked once - the first time (installed before I bought the house) it split for some reason.

    The drain kit is integral to the whole shower tray, tiling, etc. so I can't change it without a huge amount of bother.

    Cheers.

  6. #6

    Default

    Usualy when fitting pipes with solvent glue i was taught to apply glue, stick it together and give it a twist for half a turn to make sure the glue was evenly spread and you would feel it start to bond. Never had any issues with leaking and not sanded them.
    Also we used to get given the cheapest glue available by the company.
    Its probably 13 years since i worked in the trade but i doubt theyve changed much.
    You can get a solvent pipe cleaner solution that they advise using but we never botherd using it on new pipwork only old stuff.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rrrr; 08-01-2020 at 10:08 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    FIUY?
    No thanks.
    Thatís what tradesmen are for. 😉
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    I've no experience with these fittings but I do use solvent weld pipe a bit at work. I would say that if you have to sand things down to fit there is something wrong somewhere. Make sure all your pipe and fittings are solvent weld, push fit is different diameter than solvent weld pipe.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Totally agree - it was very odd that the reducer didn't fit smoothly into the drain pipe (the TP guy agreed), but I suspect it's because it's a German piece of kit and marginally different size? Other fittings, bizarrely, did fit smoothly!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    FIUY?
    No thanks.
    Thatís what tradesmen are for. 😉
    No idea what that means, but I take your point!

    I'd use a tradesman right away, but for the £90 initial call out that seems standard round here.

    Thought I may get some useful advice here, which I am..!

    Cheers.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Totally agree - it was very odd that the reducer didn't fit smoothly into the drain pipe (the TP guy agreed), but I suspect it's because it's a German piece of kit and marginally different size? Other fittings, bizarrely, did fit smoothly!
    Can you not run it in larger pipe rather than reducing it at the fitting?

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •