Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  244
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

So the Green party want to impose radical change to de - carbonise the Country. All very laudible but what I didn't realise until today is that they want the UK to be a Republic.

The*Green Party*states that they believe there is "no place in government for the hereditary principle", while Bennett has said that she supports the abolition of themonarchy*as the head of state, and fully supports replacing the*monarchy*with a republic
    Last edited by tenet; Today at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    So the Green party want to impose radical change to de - carbonise the Country. All very laudible but what I didn't realise until today is that they want the UK to be a Republic.

The*Green Party*states that they believe there is "no place in government for the hereditary principle", while Bennett has said that she supports the abolition of themonarchy*as the head of state, and fully supports replacing the*monarchy*with a republic
    So they want to get rid of peers and the house of lords - so does The Brexit Party, and The Labour Party did a year ago, dunno if it's in their manifesto - and Bennett herself is a republican, just like Corbyn.

This does not mean the monarchy will be replaced and we will become a republic, should either Labour or the Green Party secure a majority in government. Both Corbyn and Bennett have said it isn't a priority at all for the UK - it's just their personal belief.

Have you guys not been watching what's happened in government and parliament over the last twenty years? The leader of a party/Prime Minister can believe what they want and ask for whatever they like. Cameron wanted to remain in the EU. Theresa May wanted her deal to pass. Boris Johnson wanted to shut down parliamentary debate. They can have their beliefs and their agendas - but they are held in check by their party, and their parliament.

You've reminded me though - did anyone hear the interview with the representative from the Countryside Alliance on Radio 4 this morning, about fox hunting? She's very relaxed about the ban not being considered for a repeal - she thinks it's a poorly constructed law, but not a priority for those living in rural areas - and she's very happy with Labour's plans for greater policing of wildlife crime.

She came across very well, I thought. Balanced and moderate. I think Justin Webb (I think it was he) was expecting an adversarial conversation - but it played out well, from this fence-sitter-erring-on-the-side-of-the-anti's point of view.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142