Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  904
Page 104 of 121 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1208
  1. #1031

    Default

    Anyway whilst we are performing futile CPR on the dying shell of a once great FISHING forum through the medium of pointless political posturing when do we start the The Great Scottish Referendum Debate?

  2. #1032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    Oh Iíve accepted that they won. It wasnít close. It was an annihilation, within the confines of our FPTP system.

    Doesnít change the fact that theyíre the worst government Iíve ever lived under and a truly terrible bunch of humans to boot. I canít bear judging people on their appearance and she canít help it but Priti Patelís face is punchable and Iím a pacifist - and then she opens her mouth and such smug cruelty pours out... Rees-Mogg. Gove. Hancock. Hunt. Johnson himself. Just... where did they find these people?!

    So yeah. I do struggle to understand how lifelong labour voters can switch. Redcarís MP was on the frontline with them marching for the steel industry, which EU regulations did not forbid state help but the government let fail anyway. I canít even get my head around Brexit being that big a deal more than the things right in front of people - their jobs, their food security, a roof over their head. The EU didnít threaten any of these things. This government has. Did you see that report about pregnant women dying as a result of Tory policy? Deliberately repressed until after the election, directly linked to government policy.

    So yeah. I see all that and I can accept the result but still not understand it. Like I accept quantum physics and WiFi but donít understand them either.

    Left behind communities were left behind by the tories. Communities lied to were lied to by them too. So all this because labour didnít enthusiastically rip us out of the EU without making sure measures were in place to protect jobs and standards?

    Yeah. Whatever.
    Really think you should watch this.dudley mp corbyn - YouTube

    Started with nothing and still have most of it left

  3. #1033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    The worst government you lived under???! They've not even formed a government yet!!

    You must have been born after 1979.
    They formed it on Thursday , 8th June 2017.
    I was born in 1959.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

  4. #1034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    Oh Iíve accepted that they won. It wasnít close. It was an annihilation, within the confines of our FPTP system.

    Doesnít change the fact that theyíre the worst government Iíve ever lived under and a truly terrible bunch of humans to boot. I canít bear judging people on their appearance and she canít help it but Priti Patelís face is punchable and Iím a pacifist - and then she opens her mouth and such smug cruelty pours out... Rees-Mogg. Gove. Hancock. Hunt. Johnson himself. Just... where did they find these people?!

    So yeah. I do struggle to understand how lifelong labour voters can switch. Redcarís MP was on the frontline with them marching for the steel industry, which EU regulations did not forbid state help but the government let fail anyway. I canít even get my head around Brexit being that big a deal more than the things right in front of people - their jobs, their food security, a roof over their head. The EU didnít threaten any of these things. This government has. Did you see that report about pregnant women dying as a result of Tory policy? Deliberately repressed until after the election, directly linked to government policy.

    So yeah. I see all that and I can accept the result but still not understand it. Like I accept quantum physics and WiFi but donít understand them either.

    Left behind communities were left behind by the tories. Communities lied to were lied to by them too. So all this because labour didnít enthusiastically rip us out of the EU without making sure measures were in place to protect jobs and standards?

    Yeah. Whatever.
    Brexit wasn't the issue. Everyone I know who voted against labour did so because Labour's policy on Brexit was wholly undemocratic.
    Joe Swindle's policy on Brexit was wholly undemocratic.
    I believe that above all people value our democracy and value every vote they make, including and especially the referendum in 2016. For a political party to say "we will revoke Brexit" and another to say they'll effectively put the Cameron deal against full remain in another referendum thus not allowing the same choice even as the first was a massive misjudgement of the British people.

    No, it wasn't about brexit at all. It was about the assault on democracy these last 3 years from politicians who pledged to honour the result. I am not sure you understand just how precious that referendum result is to millions in the north, the original "left behinds", whether they voted leave or remain. Understand this and you might start to understand why people like me voted Tory and in favour of democracy.

    I think the libdems already get it. I have a feeling labour will never get it. If the first words out of the next labour leaders mouth is not an apology for their undemocratic policy regarding the 2016 referendum then I can see many northern democrats staying with the Tories.

    It's that simple. Think what folk in history have gone through and sacrificed to get a vote and allow future generations to keep voting and 2/3 of the feckers in parliament thought they should dump all that because they disagreed with the result. Rabid remoaners never ever understood this, blinded by the importance of their own opinion above all else.

    That is why today we have a liar for a PM and JRM in government. God help us these next 5 years but that is nowhere near as worrying as what Labour and the libdems were doing with my democracy.

  5. #1035

    Default

    GK, the incumbent Conservative MP doesn't live in my constituency either. He was born and lives one constituency down. The Labour candidate lives one constituency up. In real terms, you could drive from his house through my constituency to her house in about 20 minutes. They are both 'local', not local - but neither are seen as or referred to as blow ins, as it's a small puddle we're paddling in here. He did a great job on fracking, but overreached when he declared the hiatus as a victory - but otherwise hasn't put a foot wrong, either in parliament or campaign. His local record is strong, and the Labour MP he replaced would have smiled while exploding the ground beneath our feet. I think the Labour MP's emphasis on mining was an attempt to rally the older vote. When I saw her, she spoke about justice for Orgreave, and it went down an absolute storm. Markham closed in 1994 - it's really not a long time ago in terms of anger and resentment. But no one thought she would win - not even me, though obviously I hoped - as it's a strong leave area with a least bad sort of Conservative MP that most people are either happy with or not angered by.

    I don't understand how the Tories have a reputation for basic economic sense. Their 'basic economic sense' sold the Royal Mail for £1bn less than it was worth. It tells them that if someone presents to you with no money to feed their children or pay their bills, you should make them wait a minimum of 5 weeks until they get the financial assistance their citizenship and previous payments in entitle them to. Their basic economic sense led to them introducing austerity to reduce the deficit and setting a series of targets that they failed to achieve every single time - but it didn't lead them to think OK, this isn't working, we need to change course. They just carried on, standing up in budgets and announcing they'd failed. Their basic economic sense has seen them borrow more money in one sitting than the Labour Party has, ever.

    They have better spin doctors.

    Anyway. It's done. I'm not as angry or bitter as I might seem. In real terms, nothing has been lost. Brexit was going to happen and will still happen - us Remain voters didn't lose anything there on Thursday. We had more food banks than McDonalds, record levels of homelessness and people dying in hospital corridors on Wednesday, and we still do today - nothing has changed, it hasn't got worse. People voted for the status quo and we've sucked it up thus far.

  6. #1036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Brexit wasn't the issue. Everyone I know who voted against labour did so because Labour's policy on Brexit was wholly undemocratic.
    Joe Swindle's policy on Brexit was wholly undemocratic.
    I believe that above all people value our democracy and value every vote they make, including and especially the referendum in 2016. For a political party to say "we will revoke Brexit" and another to say they'll effectively put the Cameron deal against full remain in another referendum thus not allowing the same choice even as the first was a massive misjudgement of the British people.

    No, it wasn't about brexit at all. It was about the assault on democracy these last 3 years from politicians who pledged to honour the result. I am not sure you understand just how precious that referendum result is to millions in the north, the original "left behinds", whether they voted leave or remain. Understand this and you might start to understand why people like me voted Tory and in favour of democracy.

    I think the libdems already get it. I have a feeling labour will never get it. If the first words out of the next labour leaders mouth is not an apology for their undemocratic policy regarding the 2016 referendum then I can see many northern democrats staying with the Tories.

    It's that simple. Think what folk in history have gone through and sacrificed to get a vote and allow future generations to keep voting and 2/3 of the feckers in parliament thought they should dump all that because they disagreed with the result. Rabid remoaners never ever understood this, blinded by the importance of their own opinion above all else.

    That is why today we have a liar for a PM and JRM in government. God help us these next 5 years but that is nowhere near as worrying as what Labour and the libdems were doing with my democracy.
    A vote for Labour would have been a vote for a bit more democracy. You don't need to talk to a woman about the fight for democracy - I understand well the sacrifices made to secure the right to vote. People didn't just want democracy though - they wanted knee-jerk snap democracy. Apprentice-style democracy - 'You're fired!' X-Factor style democracy - just leave. Now.

    People wanted Amazon Prime-style democracy, delivered next day. Argos democracy - delivered same day. Sod it - drone me the result of my democratic decision within the hour!

    No consideration for a plan. People voted democratically for one word: Leave. Absolutely NO plan behind it, at all. Was any time allowed to shape a plan around this single word? No - inject me my Article 50 straight into my veins! I WANT THE SWEET HIT OF MY LEAVE NOW!

    We had factored everything out to the EU. EVERYTHING. It takes a while to restructure that. I get called a remoaner. Leave voters are just as bad. Like toddlers on the floor: I WANT MY JUICE IN THE BLUE CUP AND I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

    OK. Maybe I am angry and bitter.
    Last edited by Safranfoer; 14-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.

  7. #1037

    Default

    52% of the vote to remain/second referendum parties. The Lib dems got a million more votes that last time. Not sure itís quite as cut and dried as some like to think.

    Let the healing begin 🤪

  8. #1038
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gods County
    Posts
    4,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Please could those non conservatives just accept that they lost - hands down, totally and utterly, without question. It wasnít close and it wasnít borderline, it was convincing.

    Whether you like it or not it was a total destruction of the Corbyn movement, and maybe a sharp wake up that he was totally out of touch and living in some dream world. The Lib Demís didnít do much better.

    I know itís disappointing, I know it sucks for you, but get used to it and stop making excuses. Labour is currently ****, the LDs got it wrong, and most people want Boris as PM.

    I think itís pretty clear.

    Oscar.

    Oscar,Dude, no one in their right mind would've voted for Corbyn, the other parties marginally worse. The only option for many was Tory,thats why they got in.Johnson(buffoon that he is) got in because of that, no other issue, the country would've been in turmoil under any other result-thing is Tories know that and know thats why they got in!.
    Were there a comic party in my constituency they'd have got my vote no shadow of a doubt, Monster Raving Loony or any one I'd tick the box.
    What a kick in the teeth for the lying, cheating self centred money grabbing I'm all right Jack establishment that would have been.Would've ruined the country right enough, but I figure my version of this country was ruined some time ago and now will only get worse.I can't wait to see what Johnson and Co. have in store for the likes of me in the next few years, they know they won't have a fight what ever they do and I'm sure they'll do their worst!.
    Let the dust settle after Brexit though, then when the flacks stopped flying, the political "worthies" will stick their heads above the parapet once more, the current crop of less than "worthies" will not be required then!.
    Pedro.

  9. #1039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    The worst government you lived under???! They've not even formed a government yet!!

    You must have been born after 1979.
    I was born IN 1979. So no, I donít remember the power shortages or the bin strikes or any of the things people tell me that voting for left wing policies will achieve. But I feel theyíre as useful and relevant as me saying to my son in 30 years that a vote for Tories is a vote for homelessness and food banks. The impact of policies are as much about the time as anything else. I think universal credit is a good idea. Introducing it during a global recession was a stupid idea.

  10. #1040

    Default

    My daughter renewed her passport last week.
    Looks exactly like mine , but without the European Union header.
    And itís maroon.
    Maroon , not blue.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •