Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing of seasons and our favourite back end flies.

As we approach the twilight of the seasons in the UK, I must confess to enjoying the run in now and the autumn salmon fishing. Whilst there is no doubt chasing Springers and landing them are probably much more of a reward to most, there is something more about being out fishing at this time of year that I actually enjoy more. The colder mornings and the shorter days, the colours of the changing greens to reds and oranges etc.

On the fly front I like the reds and purples of the Frances and the red devils and smaller shrimp variants...

What are other peoples opinions on autmun fishing and what are their favourite flies for this period?

When it gets to this time of year or shortly after, I am never without the same thing on the end of my line that I have every year hot or cold, rain or shine. I talk of course about the delight of every salmon angler which is the bunch of stinky decaying leaves that attach themselves to my leader and fly. .

PS I am also quite partial to a red or purple 10mm long Pot Bellied Pig
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    When it gets to this time of year or shortly after, I am never without the same thing on the end of my line that I have every year hot or cold, rain or shine. I talk of course about the delight of every salmon angler which is the bunch of stinky decaying leaves that attach themselves to my leader and fly. .

PS I am also quite partial to a red or purple 10mm long Pot Bellied Pig
    I forgot to mention the every third cast retrieve to unhook the pigging leave off...

My interest in fishing dwindles along with the fading light at this time of the year. Battling through leaves to catch coloured fish just doesn't do anything for me.

If I had one more good spate and another day at the river I could hang the rods up for the year. If we don't get the water I like, I'm already finished.

As for flies? Anything red.

I don't want to put up any pictures in case someone is thinking of tying them for this month's TOTM.
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 12-09-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Would be something out of this selection for me the last couple of seasons._20190912_181502-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Would be something out of this selection for me the last couple of seasons._20190912_181502-jpg
    They all nice but that junction one 💪👍🎣

Call me a fly boring tw at but I'm pretty much the same as I am in the spring
    the good old willie gunn but mibi just mibi with a wee touch of red in them

dsc_0601-jpg

Or a posh tosh, my largest fish to date was caught on one of these on the tweed

_20180314_144538-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Crackers andy I do have a few pink ones in my box but have yet to try them out, that junction is top notch

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Call me a fly boring tw at but I'm pretty much the same as I am in the spring
    the good old willie gunn but mibi just mibi with a wee touch of red in them

dsc_0601-jpg

Or a posh tosh, my largest fish to date was caught on one of these on the tweed

_20180314_144538-jpg

I could fish all season with these in a range of sizes, lovely lovely stuff Lamson

You tie a cracking willy Gunn Lv10! Still be plenty of movement in those. When I tie that style the fibres seem to lay flat and look lifeless.

Posh tosh looks a beezer too.

Cracking stuff!

The mention of the Willy Gunn reminded me of this cracking step by step from former forum member ballingal512. Hasn't been around in a while either.

This has to be deadly in autumn surely...

Lethal Autumn tube SBS

I could never tie one I was happy with.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast