Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    You tie a cracking willy Gunn Lv10! Still be plenty of movement in those. When I tie that style the fibres seem to lay flat and look lifeless.

Posh tosh looks a beezer too.

Cracking stuff!

The mention of the Willy Gunn reminded me of this cracking step by step from former forum member ballingal512. Hasn't been around in a while either.

This has to be deadly in autumn surely...

Lethal Autumn tube SBS

I could never tie one I was happy with.
    Got to agree with this Jockiescott, they are very tidy. I've always struggled with mixing my bucktail. Think I've only tied one in my time I've ever been pleased with.

Been looking at photos posted of fish taken over the last few weeks , and have to say that it’s time to have a long hard look at the current legal seasons within the various regions of the so called ‘ united kingdom ‘..

Mid September , and nowt on display but fish well on their road to the spawning beds.
    ‘One or two shiny fish here and there , but with soft bellys.

My rods are cleaned and stowed away til next season.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Been looking at photos posted of fish taken over the last few weeks , and have to say that it’s time to have a long hard look at the current legal seasons within the various regions of the so called ‘ united kingdom ‘..

Mid September , and nowt on display but fish well on their road to the spawning beds.

I think a lot depends on latitude and the nature of the river. In Yorkshire we have the strange phenomenon of fresh fish running - water permitting - in every month of the year. One September day I caught 5 fish on the Ure: one tartan warrior; one light brown hen; two grilse just off silver that had been in the river a couple of weeks; and a silver grey hen that had run 130 miles from the North Sea in a single effort over the space of 3-4 days. The pike anglers catch fresh fish down at Naburn November - January every year.

If what I faced in October was an unremitting diet of brown and gravid fish I wouldn't bother myself or them. I certainly wouldn't be on the Findhorn in October - even in mid-September there are plenty of gravid brown hens. But on the Ure with the prospect of even 15-20% respectably fresh fish it's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post

I think this is a veiw from someone who has Fished for many more years than me and possibly many others on here. I can see your point, but my association water has now got fish in it and I intend to fish for them. In my years have never had a problem returning autumn fish but have had bleeders in the spring. . We are only in September? Some are fortunate to move to shooting or other winter sports others choose to fish. Rightly or wrongly.

I don't think I've tied one yet that I've been completely happy with yet Mc andy. ☺️

September used to be the month I looked forward to most on my river. Around the second week of the month we started to get the "harvest run". Lovely deep, broad backed, hard fighting, silver salmon. I remember getting two one evening and they were like carbon copies of each other. These fish started to disappear from around 2005 onwards.

Our monthly counter figures are showing very low numbers entering the river in recent years for the months of September and October. .

I prefer fishing for summer grilse with floating lines, small flies and in my short sleeves. Being all muffled up, having to use more sinking type lines and catching on the bottom more often and having to haul in leaves every other cast, just isn't my idea of enjoyment. I'm most definitely a fair weather angler. 😊

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to fish on until October or November. It's just not for me!
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 12-09-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    You tie a cracking willy Gunn Lv10! Still be plenty of movement in those. When I tie that style the fibres seem to lay flat and look lifeless.

Posh tosh looks a beezer too.

Cracking stuff!

The mention of the Willy Gunn reminded me of this cracking step by step from former forum member ballingal512. Hasn't been around in a while either.

This has to be deadly in autumn surely...

Lethal Autumn tube SBS

I could never tie one I was happy with.
    Thank's jockiescott it's a fly I enjoy tying and seem to find pretty easy to tie
    Also Thank's for posting the link to ballingall's willie gunn 👍🏻 I like the look of that variant and will post my efforts of it up soon, he was before my time on the forum and clearly could tie a mean looking fly looking at some of his posts sad he's no longer around on the forum

Tied these two over the past couple of days.

I looked through an old fishing diary a few months ago. The entries were from the late 90s/early 2000s. The number of fish I'd caught on these two patterns was a real eye opener. Its been a good few years since Ive given either of these patterns a proper chance. I can't even remember the last time I tied that orange shrimp.

If I get some water before the end of the month I really must get these two on a cast again.

img_20190915_103814-jpg

Nothing red either so should not influence the current TOTM.
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 15-09-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Would be something out of this selection for me the last couple of seasons.Attachment 39315
    Absolute belters Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Call me a fly boring tw at but I'm pretty much the same as I am in the spring
    the good old willie gunn but mibi just mibi with a wee touch of red in them

Attachment 39318

Or a posh tosh, my largest fish to date was caught on one of these on the tweed

Attachment 39319
    Them WG's are belters!!

I love a good old All Red, but an easy fix is to merely swap the Willie G about a bit,Copper body and swap the Orange for Red instead.Both prolific Autumn fish takers-or used to be.
    mc andy, I too used to struggle getting a good Willie G., however these days I find them quite easy to tie and can change the look of the flee by varying proportions, nay even one or two of the colours.
    For the classic I do the wing in 3 stages, a wrap of Yello, a wrap of Orange then the final wrap of Black.Its just a question or proportion thats all, and the "appeal" of the Willie G. is that no two tyers flee's will ever strictly be the same, so in effect its your own pattern.
    Like I say swap Orange for Red and you could try Purple instead of Black, good trick for the leafy water too!.
    Pedro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12