Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  266
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup

"Plus I expect you already know that he's got it in his contract that Bill spends 6 months of the year on his mantle piece in Sydney?"

Or Japan. A crowded shelf that.

Quote Originally Posted by sewin meister View Post
    Agreed Aled, but we also need a bit of magic midfield, . Too much emphasis on defending stops players getting on the front foot in attack . We need to move on We have some great young players coming through and hopefully the new coaching team will continue to carry on the good work of Gatland and his team. Hears to the future. Come on Wales. Bob.
    The British (and maybe Irish) problem, where to find some centres.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Well well.

What a game on Saturday, NZ looking like rabbits in the headlights going into the last 20. Having gifted them a try (not sure Retallick's foul was so game-changing JP?) I nearly hid behind the sofa, but still they continued to dominate and squeeze the life out of the ABs. Man for man England were better and they all stepped up.

The mental strength they had been lacking when throwing away blistering leads (RSA twice, ABs and Scotland once etc.) in the last 18 months appears to be there in spades now.

Barret (B) was made to look very ordinary, and as overrated as Stockdale and Ringrose combined.

Hard lines Wales!

Wales-RSA was a very different kettle of fish, de Klerk's kicking poor and Wales losing key players even faster than they had up to this point. Therein lies the issue. Still not enough strength in depth, perhaps the training/coaching wasn't as good as England's (who have not really lost any key players)

Poor in the first half, it looked like Wales could have nicked it towards the end as the bish-bash-bosh of the Yarpie forwards took it's toll, but it wasn't their lucky day.

AWJ deserves a knighthood mind. What an amazing battler

Although RSA are a proper side of forwards, other than Vermeulen and du Toit they seem pretty average with limited ball skills, and I'm not sure their grunt will be enough to take England to the cleaners in the scrum like they did Wales. Etzebeth of course flaked out last time he tried to tackle Big Billy V...

The ghost of 2007 should be put to rest at the weekend, and it will be a great game. But man for man, SA don't really compare except in about 4 or 5 places, and that's if everyone's fit (doesn't look like they will be)... England by about 10... at least.

So long as they keep their cool as well as they did last weekend

As for Gatland's trash talk about England already having had their final, green-eyed about England and Jones, where did that come from? Jones' response was very funny but would not have been warranted if Gatland had kept from stirring the pot. Do we really want him for the Lions again?
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

not sure Retallick's foul was so game-changing JP?

Foul it was, game-changing wrong phrase, door opening maybe. but one that slammed shut quickly.

And, more importantly, Stockdale and Ringrose are not overrated though they most certainly under performed grossly. I've seen glimpses of Ringrose at his best and he's wonderful and, for me, epitomises Joe Schmidt's dead hand, autocratic coaching. And this is not jumping on a quickly crowded bandwagon, had many a bar-room row over this over the last few years. Not at all happy to be proved right. All successful Irish coaches, maybe all successful Celtic coaches, have an emotional radar. JS strikes me as indifferent, or unaware, of how the heart must align with the head to maximise potential. I hope Andy Farrell is more perceptive.
    Last edited by JACK POWER; 29-10-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Well

AWJ deserves a knighthood mind. What an amazing battler :cool

As for Gatland's trash talk about England already having had their final, green-eyed about England and Jones, where did that come from? Jones' response was very funny but would not have been warranted if Gatland had kept from stirring the pot. Do we really want him for the Lions again?
    It will be interesting to see if AWJ sticks around to lead the next Lions. There isn't a lot of competition.

I do wish some of these SH coaches would put a sock in it.
    Last edited by Handel; 29-10-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Some brave soul(or TV company), should hide a camera and mic in one of the Farrell households. I'd love to hear the conversation between father and son, especially before the 6N if England become RWC winners!! Prime time telly!

Owen Farrell would make a great Lions captain.
    Last edited by Paul White; 29-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    Some brave soul(or TV company), should hide a camera and mic in one of the Farrell households. I'd love to hear the conversation between father and son, especially before the 6N if England become RWC winners!! Prime time telly!

Owen Farrell would make a great Lions captain.

I have to disagree with you on that last point, he has demonstrated that he has neither the temperament or the maturity to lead the lions &, if he continues with no-arms tackles, he wouldn't remain on the pitch long enough to be an effective captain whilst yielding penalties & leaving his team under-strength in the process.

He is a very talented player, but needs a real leader as captain to keep him on the straight & narrow & performing to the level he is undoubtedly capable of.

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I have to disagree with you on that last point, he has demonstrated that he has neither the temperament or the maturity to lead the lions &, if he continues with no-arms tackles, he wouldn't remain on the pitch long enough to be an effective captain whilst yielding penalties & leaving his team under-strength in the process.

He is a very talented player, but needs a real leader as captain to keep him on the straight & narrow & performing to the level he is undoubtedly capable of.

Regards, Tyke.
    can't agree with you about Owen-mental toughness-maturity -he has it in spades and has demonstrated as much -the england team and eddie J are right behind him-I would pick AWJ as captain of the lions though

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    It will be interesting to see if AWJ sticks around to lead the next Lions. There isn't a lot of competition.

I do wish some of these SH coaches would put a sock in it.
    I actually took it as a pretty innocuous albeit blunt and unnecessary comment that was seized on by the press (shortly followed by Jones) I think if you were a SH coach in the UK saying nuthin to no-one might be the best policy.
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

Quote Originally Posted by long Preston View Post
    can't agree with you about Owen-mental toughness-maturity -he has it in spades and has demonstrated as much -the england team and eddie J are right behind him-I would pick AWJ as captain of the lions though
    He completely imploded against Scotland in the last 6 nations, that performance is certainly not suitable for a Lions captain. His continued tendency to shoulder barge/ armless tackle is a liability & as a captain the refs would hold him to task over this to the detriment of the team. The SH teams would pick up on this & work it to their advantage.

A very talented & skilful player certainly, but not a lions captain which requires much more than individual skills on the field.

Regards, Tyke.

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast