Thanks Thanks:  421
Likes Likes:  6,109
Page 608 of 741 FirstFirst ... 108508558598606607608609610618658708 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 7402

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Terrible. 🙄
    What a nerve the man has in saying that he intends to make sure that this parliament follows the rule of law 😂😂

Cue squeals of indignant anguish from Johnson sycophants.
    I don't think that's what he said he intends?

His problem, IMO, is that he values his opinion more than his position. He has not been impartial, which is the most unconstitutional bit of recent events, and is the root cause of the second worst offence against the constitution; allowing the legislature to pretend its the executive.

Parliament should hold the government to account and has absolutely failed in its primary role. I blame the speaker for this too. If he had not allowed the grotesque misuse of standing order 24, parliament would not be able to avoid censuring an executive they clearly do not have confidence in. Parliament would be dissolved and the people could have their proper say as to who represents them.

May it please your majesty, I have neither eyes to see, nor tongue to speak, in this place, but as the house is pleased to direct me, whose servant I am here; and I humbly ask pardon that I cannot give any other answer to what your majesty is pleased to demand of me.

A great deal of blood, more British blood as a percentage than any other conflict, was spilt to establish the principles that govern the role of Parliament and it's relationship to the executive and, IMHO, its not for Bercow to break the conventional bonds that tie our constitution together merely to serve his ego.

Boris is neither here nor there. PM's come and go, government's come and go, monarchs come and go but Parliament is forever. I hope that, if nothing else, we can all take from this situation the vital importance of electing better representatives rather than party lackeys.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    And no comment on the main point of the post. Re Hartlepool.
    You could get a job at the BBC.
    Are we not permitted to comment on parts of your post , but only on the whole ?
    I must apologise if itís inconvenient for you.
    Last edited by ibm59; 13-09-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Are we not permitted to comment on parts of your post , but only on the whole ?
    I must apologise if itís inconvenient for you.
    Absolutely no inconvenience to me and Loxie has covered you comments admirably. Just thought it interesting that a Labour heartland area should change so dramatically.
    This seems to clear up a few bits of false accusations and press reporting.
    Leave.EU triumphs in Met Police investigation | Leave.EU

It now seems that MPs may have broken the law in denying us our human rights to express our will in an election.
    Specifically, did it infringe Article 3 of Protocol 1 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which covers the right to free elections.

Absolutely no inconvenience to me and Loxie has covered you comments admirably. Just thought it interesting that a Labour heartland area should change so dramatically.
    Vote Leave - the designated lead campaigner in the run up to the referendum - is still under investigation for spending returns, even after their initial fine. From the Electoral Commission: "Vote Leave was the designated lead campaigner for the leave outcome at the referendum. We found that it broke the electoral rules set out by Parliament to ensure fairness, confidence and legitimacy at an electoral event. Serious offences such as these undermine public confidence in our system and it is vital, therefore, that they are properly investigated and sanctioned."

As is Be Leave. (I have never heard of Be Leave until today).

Be a little while before everything is completely cleared up.

Andrew has been verbose as always
    Whether he has answered anyoneís points depends very much on the impartiality of the reader.

And at that , Iíll leave you all to it for tonight. 🙂
    Last edited by ibm59; 13-09-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Hartlepool council is a special case. I wouldn't take anything from it.

It now seems that MPs may have broken the law in denying us our human rights to express our will in an election.
    Specifically, did it infringe Article 3 of Protocol 1 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which covers the right to free elections.
    ĎThe High Contracting Parties undertake to hold free elections at reasonable intervals by secret ballot, under conditions which will ensure the free expression of the opinion of the people in the choice of the legislature.í

It's only ever been tried in the defence of prisoners' rights to vote. I don't think anyone can legitimately suggest that the 2016 General Election was longer than a 'reasonable interval' ago. Still, good luck to them. I'm very happy for the legal system to protect us against crazy power grabs from our politicians.

Oof.

"Irishman Phil Hogan was appointed on Tuesday to lead the EU's international trade affairs from November, a clear message to London as the sides prepare to negotiate a new deal after Brexit.

"In announcing the appointment, the next head of the EU's executive, Ursula von der Leyen, said Hogan was "an excellent and fair negotiator" and did a "brilliant" job heading agriculture affairs in the outgoing Commission."

(Brexit: All the latest updates | UK News | Al Jazeera)

Andrew has been verbose as always
    Whether he has answered anyoneís points depends very much on the impartiality of the reader.

And at that , Iíll leave you all to it for tonight. 🙂
    Brian I take no sides in this. I voted to remain and I believe to leave is extremely foolish but I enjoy the benefits of our democracy and I think it's proper conduct is more important that anything else.

Verbose? Guilty as charged! I love language and enjoy using it.