Thanks Thanks:  421
Likes Likes:  6,109
Page 599 of 741 FirstFirst ... 99499549589597598599600601609649699 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 5,990 of 7402

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    But being in business yourself you cannot take your trump card off the table before you enter negotiation. And every business person on this forum knows that.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    I do B2B negotiating for a global company on a daily basis and a fallback position of significantly damaging yourself and partially damaging your negotiating partner is not a ‘trump card’. There is a difference between threatening and negotiating. Which are we doing?

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    I do B2B negotiating for a global company on a daily basis and a fallback position of significantly damaging yourself and partially damaging your negotiating partner is not a ‘trump card’. There is a difference between threatening and negotiating. Which are we doing?
    Have you ever tried negotiating, where you have been told you have to get a deal, what ever the cost, and if so how did that work out for you.

F
    But whatever your most attractive position in your negotiation would not be taken off the table before you started those negotiations. And you will admit that No deal is better than a bad deal in your negotiation with any of your clients.

It seems that in spite of Brexiteer bluster Yellowhammer is not a worst case scenario report. There is another report called Black Swan.

No-Deal Brexit Risks Food, Fuel and Drugs Shortages, Leaked U.K. Files Say - The New York Times
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    Have you ever tried negotiating, where you have been told you have to get a deal, what ever the cost, and if so how did that work out for you.
    Of course. You end up in a worse position than when you started. Usually this is during litigation or similar. My point was this isn’t a ‘trump card’ it’s a least worst situation. Threatening people with damages almost always means we never work with those people again. Going into a negotiation saying ‘of course if you don’t agree to this then we’ll sue you’ would get me fired pretty quickly.

I remember when the UK was quite good at diplomacy...

PS unless you mean a Donald Trump card. In which case I fully agree

‘ Quick ! Send a gunboat ! ‘
    Last edited by ibm59; 12-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Of course. You end up in a worse position than when you started. Usually this is during litigation or similar. My point was this isn’t a ‘trump card’ it’s a least worst situation. Threatening people with damages almost always means we never work with those people again. Going into a negotiation saying ‘of course if you don’t agree to this then we’ll sue you’ would get me fired pretty quickly.

So you have been the negotiator of TMs deal and so as not to upset your client or to get the deal you would accept it even though you know you as being shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    ‘ Quick ! Send a gunboat ! ‘
    We now send a Tug boat.

I was thinking about reining in various US presidents but not for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    So you have been the negotiator of TMs deal and so as not to upset your client or to get the deal you would accept it even though you know you as being shafted.
    If we ever wanted to work with them again, yes. But that decision would go back to the owners of the decision before it was taken. They may just choose to walk away and leave things as they are in the interests of preserving the relationship. As I said it depends if you’re negotiating with someone or threatening them. If it’s threats you better hope you have deeper pockets than they do