Thanks Thanks:  298
Likes Likes:  4,282
Page 504 of 517 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 5168

Thread: Brexit

  1. #5031
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    location location
    Posts
    861

  2. #5032
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Isle of Lewis
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
    Removed post due to racist views, which are not acceptable.

    I missed this.
    So I do not make a similar error, can I ask what was deemed to be "racist"?

  3. #5033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Invermarnoch View Post
    I quite understand that you will not have read every post on this thread, offshore, but there have been one or two disgracefully nasty remarks made about Muslims, which the mods have had the good sense to delete.

    I tried to answer one of these obnoxious posts by making a reference to the possibility that one might find one's child being operated upon by a Muslim neurosurgeon. Contrary to the illusions of one poster, I am a retired lawyer who practised in the highest criminal courts in the land. Often in the course of my career, I heard evidence given by senior Muslim doctors and surgeons who impressed me with their compassion, professional skill and courtesy. Let me mention one, Dr. Al Alousi, a very fine pathologist. In this age when from time to time we hear of outrages caused by supposedly Muslim fundamentalists, it is important to remember that many, many Muslims contribute outstanding service to our NHS. All races and peoples have their bad eggs, of course. We do not say all Irish people are bad, do we, just because of the dreadful murders which the Provisional IRA committed? It's important to be measured in all we do in life, and that is precisely what racists overlook.

    Turning now to the person who questioned my integrity: firstly, as I said, I am not interested in exchanging abuse with you. Secondly, my source was not S & P as you appear to think. Actually, I had several sources, namely Martin Wolf in the FT, Matthew Parrish in The Times ( a former Tory M.P.), and William Keegan and Andrew Rawnsley in the Observer - all are journalists widely respected by their peers. Thirdly, I do think you should calm down a bit. I am not your enemy, you know. I may oppose what you say with every fibre of my being, but, honestly, I do not hate you, and I do not wish you ill, whatever you may think. Indeed, I would much prefer it if we could put aside our differences and you would allow me to buy you lunch in a riverside pub somewhere - preferably in England, because the pubs there tend to be infinitely better than ours up here in Scotland.

    "Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend", as John Lennon wrote long ago. Wise words, IMHO.
    Sir, how did you know the senior doctors who gave evidence in court were Muslim? Surely their religion would have been totally irrelevant and of no concern or interest to anybody in that court.

    Also, would you mind answering the valid questions I put to you in post #4955?

  4. #5034
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Sir, how did you know the senior doctors who gave evidence in court were Muslim? Surely their religion would have been totally irrelevant and of no concern or interest to anybody in that court.

    Also, would you mind answering the valid questions I put to you in post #4955?
    Yes I often wonder why someone who has spent his life in the courts of "justice, truth and evidence" bases his arguments around speculation and assumption.

  5. #5035
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    I missed this.
    So I do not make a similar error, can I ask what was deemed to be "racist"?
    It was a comment relating to refusing to be treated by Muslim medical staff. It wasn't 'deemed to be racist', it was racist.
    I'm sure you are aware it is illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of race. Therefore posts which do that will be removed, and posters who continue to post racist comments will be banned.
    ---------------
    Kirsty Hewitt
    Fish and Fly Ltd

  6. #5036

    Default

    Keeping it topical...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #5037

    Default

    Rees Moggs sister standing for the Brexit Party in the EU election,
    If it takes place.

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

  8. #5038
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique
    Posts
    3,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    It was a comment relating to refusing to be treated by Muslim medical staff. It wasn't 'deemed to be racist', it was racist.
    I'm sure you are aware it is illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of race. Therefore posts which do that will be removed, and posters who continue to post racist comments will be banned.
    Point of order Editor:

    As you will no doubt be aware since muslins can vary by race, e.g. there are white European, black African and Arabic middle eastern muslims, you can't mean "race" and "racism" can you? The term "Racism" is bandied about like water on here at times, so it's good to clarify matters, IMHO.

    However, it is still against the law to discriminate against folk because of their religion which could be causing the confusion.

    Out of interest, where do we stand in banning bigots who pick on e.g. Yorkshire folk? Does that fall into any human rights legislation contravention?
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach


    Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

    Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

  9. #5039
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North west London
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    Rees Moggs sister standing for the Brexit Party in the EU election,
    If it takes place.

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    Like buses, you wait for a credible anti EU party to come along and then there's two arrive at once.
    A great shame that this will split the Brexit vote but then again Labour and the Conservatives will be hemorrhaging votes to both, which can only be a good thing.
    Only hope I don't have to choose between the two.

    I'd vote for Moggster's sister in an instant though.
    Last edited by Isisalar; 12-04-2019 at 04:25 PM.

  10. #5040
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Point of order Editor:

    As you will no doubt be aware since muslins can vary by race, e.g. there are white European, black African and Arabic middle eastern muslims, you can't mean "race" and "racism" can you? The term "Racism" is bandied about like water on here at times, so it's good to clarify matters, IMHO.

    However, it is still against the law to discriminate against folk because of their religion which could be causing the confusion.

    Out of interest, where do we stand in banning bigots who pick on e.g. Yorkshire folk? Does that fall into any human rights legislation contravention?
    Seriously, do you want to debate this? Call it xenophobia if you prefer, it doesn't make it ok!
    I'm sure you can find info on human rights legislation online if you are genuinely interested in knowing more about it. Pretty sure being from Yorkshire isn't a protected characteristic though, although of course it is not nice to pick on people and we don't tolerate abuse on here either. If you're concerned about posts then please report them and we can take action.
    ---------------
    Kirsty Hewitt
    Fish and Fly Ltd

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •