Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  139
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    A bit of a strange one. Where I was sat (armchair with permanent Guinness goggles) it looked like England were just all over Wales whenever they kept the pace up. Not sure why England kept going off the boil and letting Wales have a sniff. TMO bit was a bit spurious, if as it should IMHO, it had been given, ENG would have probably stepped it up properly and got the BP they looked like getting after 20 mins. How good was Underhill and his tracking back…If ever England can stop coughing up cheap penalties they’ll look world class…

Mind, for the first try, about 4 backs in Scarlet had less distance to cover than May and they didn’t… Lots of little battles like that lost throughout the day, sure Wales could have nicked it, credit to England they didn’t.

Shingler shoudda wouldda couldda…
    I rewatched it because I thought the same. The reason was dubious penalties and a LOT of slowing the ball down by Wales in crucial areas. Some legally some not. There were a lot of hands in rucks, which is fine when the referee is consistent with the calls but he wasn’t. Fair play to Wales they did a professional job of stopping England breaking loose but in my opinion the game would have been out of sight in the first half if reffed correctly.

The TMO decision was wrong IMO, but I’ve lost track of the control/downward pressure laws as they seem to change every year so who knows?! I’d be peed off about it if it was the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    I rewatched it because I thought the same. The reason was dubious penalties and a LOT of slowing the ball down by Wales in crucial areas. Some legally some not. There were a lot of hands in rucks, which is fine when the referee is consistent with the calls but he wasn’t. Fair play to Wales they did a professional job of stopping England breaking loose but in my opinion the game would have been out of sight in the first half if reffed correctly.

The TMO decision was wrong IMO, but I’ve lost track of the control/downward pressure laws as they seem to change every year so who knows?! I’d be peed off about it if it was the other way around
    Go online, World Rugby website, new law book came into effect on 1 January 2018, complete rewrite, much simpler, Law 21 - grounding the ball is what you want. Take you 5 minutes.

Funnily enough, just took a break from work to research just that subject.

Here is the wording :-

[I]Grounding the ball

The ball can be grounded in in-goal:

By holding it and touching the ground with it; or

By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

I am now thinking :-

He wasn't holding the ball.

Was he pressing down on the ball or just getting his hand onto the side of the ball ?

The rules should really be clarified further e.g. if an attacking player touches the ball first whilst the ball is on the ground, try scored.

The fact that the reason given was totally incorrect of course still remains ! If it was not to be given, either knock on or not pressing down were the only 2 options available, the second of those would have been as controversial as the actual reason given !

I am still thinking probably try if you ignore the knock on ....
    Last edited by Occasional salmon fisher; 13-02-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    Go online, World Rugby website, new law book came into effect on 1 January 2018, complete rewrite, much simpler, Law 21 - grounding the ball is what you want. Take you 5 minutes.
    Simpler and yet...

_100011380_cdf_100218_cf_england_v_wales_030.jpg

No argument against it being a try when you look at this pic and World Rugby have today apologised for the TMO's cock up as a try was clearly scored

Was the apology "We apologise for the TMOs mistakes - initially for not spotting the knock on by Wales (which would have meant no try) and then for not spotting the fact that the Wales player touched the ball before the England player (which would have meant try if there had not been a knock on)" ?

Quote Originally Posted by uskgrub View Post
    a try was clearly scored
    No, a try was most definitely not scored. The scoreboard would have had more points on it for Wales if one had of been scored.
    Tongue in cheek chaps but I played cricket when I was younger and my Dad used to tell me that you are out if the umpire says you are out. Doesn't matter if you didn't hit the ball or you did hit it - completely immaterial. You were out because the umpire said so not because of what actually happened!
    A lot of difference between schoolboy cricket and international rugby but for goodness sake why play the game if you're not prepared to accept human mistakes. This new technology has only made things worse and offered beaten teams endless reasons to moan.
    Rugby is portrayed as a magnificent sport supposedly superior to those diving, cheating, whinging footballers. Move on. No sport, no matter how professional, is more important than life or death. Shankly was wrong.

Fairhope

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional salmon fisher View Post
    Funnily enough, just took a break from work to research just that subject.

Here is the wording :-

[I]Grounding the ball

The ball can be grounded in in-goal:

By holding it and touching the ground with it; or

By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

I am now thinking :-

He wasn't holding the ball.

Was he pressing down on the ball or just getting his hand onto the side of the ball ?

The rules should really be clarified further e.g. if an attacking player touches the ball first whilst the ball is on the ground, try scored.

The fact that the reason given was totally incorrect of course still remains ! If it was not to be given, either knock on or not pressing down were the only 2 options available, the second of those would have been as controversial as the actual reason given !

I am still thinking probably try if you ignore the knock on ....
    Splendid. But no touching it won't do. An attacking player has to be free to pick the ball up and run closer to the posts to make the conversion easier.

Anyway we now have guidance from World Rugby that what Anscombe did is sufficient. And World Rugby can give guidance on their laws.

I'm more interested in what they conclude about dragging TMOs half way round the world. Clearly a nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by uskgrub View Post
    _100011380_cdf_100218_cf_england_v_wales_030.jpg

No argument against it being a try when you look at this pic and World Rugby have today apologised for the TMO's cock up as a try was clearly scored
    No try. I read it in the papers. Move on. If I had a pound for every try I scored but not awarded I'd have some more pounds. ***. F F S
    Last edited by Loxie; 13-02-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Perhaps its time to change the subject??

How are your injury situations, and England (Sam Moore, son of of ex-Wales lock Steve) have the son of a Welsh international in their squad!
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast