Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  3,053
Page 143 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1788

That brings back memories salarchaser, I was brought up on a smallholding, with Mam n Dad having full time jobs, we all pitched in and produced our own lambs, on occasions we would sit down to Sunday dinner and nearly everything was home produced or caught (there were a lot more sewin around then and Dad Brother and I all fished...we ate a lot of sewin!)
    Nice pictures.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Also read something the other day about honey not being vegan as the bees are exploited The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Brilliant, so, to be a proper vegan in 2020 all produce with any input from animals must have a recognised collective bargaining agreement for the animals?

I did hear a guy on the radio a year or 2 ago saying there needed to be a memorial erected at the site of a road crash where a cargo of chickens had 'lost their lives' I'm ashamed to say he had an Aussie accent, however interested to note that he had decided the UK was the place for him.
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post

Also read that the greens, i think, was saying to get an artificial tree not a real one for Christmas so we'renot cutting down trees and they can continue to grow. Two things there. Firstly, what affect does making / disposing of an artificial tree have on the envoronment? Secondly, why do they think a christmas tree grower (theres one just up the road from me) would just let the trees grow? If no one bought them, he'd recultivate the land for something else. No trees. As it is, there is a steady cycle of growing trees. Dicks.
    I had the same conversation with one of my employees. Trying to explain to her that if no one bought real Christmas trees, far fewer people would grow real Christmas trees, and therefore there would be fewer trees on the planet, was tricksy. She's also opposed to wood fuelled stoves for the same reason. Explaining how they are a carbon neutral source of heat was even more difficult.

She doesn't have a plastic tree though. She made one out of fallen branches.

My son wants a horse. Even typing that sentence makes my heart sink. His best friend's sister has one, and he's been having informal lessons and helping muck out and groom. He wants formal lessons. Livery has been mentioned. I don't feel I'm anywhere near rich enough to go near that. He wants me to ask the farmer whether we can rent the field behind our house, which did have 2 horses in it when we moved in but we haven't seen them for over a year now. It's empty. He keeps putting big eyes on me and asking me to talk to the farmer.

I do not have time or money for horses. I think I'm the only parent on the planet that wishes their kid was more into YouTube and the XBox... I've told him he needs to carry on helping Sophie with her horse for another solid year, then we'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    Brilliant, so, to be a proper vegan in 2020 all produce with any input from animals must have a recognised collective bargaining agreement for the animals?

I did hear a guy on the radio a year or 2 ago saying there needed to be a memorial erected at the site of a road crash where a cargo of chickens had 'lost their lives' I'm ashamed to say he had an Aussie accent, however interested to note that he had decided the UK was the place for him.
    Apparently the swapping of sugar syrup for honey in the hive isnt a fair deal for the bees.
    Worlds gone mad.

Apparently the swapping of sugar syrup for honey in the hive isnt a fair deal for the bees.
    Worlds gone mad.

In fairness, sugar syrup doesn't do the same job. Honey does help protect bees from disease and is more nutritious.

Avocados are also felt to be morally dubious, as bees are migrated in to pollinate when the plants are fertile. This is felt to be cruel as it is depriving them of the opportunity to feed from a wide variety of food stuffs, and apparently they can't poo when in transit (I am not familiar with the bowel habits of bees - maybe they're shy?) and once the pollen has all gone, they are left hungry (do they leave them there to die?!).

These practices can also apply to foods like almonds, apples, plums, cherries, alfalfa, blueberries, watermelon, cucumbers, pumpkin, lettuce, squash and tangerines.

Unless they grew the food themselves, the vegan has no way of knowing whether migratory beekeeping practices were used.

I have no interest in becoming a vegan, but I would like to give up dairy. I don't think dairy farming is humane, and drinking another animal's milk is pretty weird. The field diagonally back from us housed a dairy herd when we moved in, and the mooing when they were separated from the calves, the sheer discomfort of their bloated udders at certain times of day, and the fact that half of them were lame and it was torture watching them drag themselves in to be milked... Really did put me off dairy, accepting that farms have different standards.

But cheese. CHEESE. And butter. Butter is goooood. I could give up milk itself easily. But cheese and butter are proving tricky.
    Last edited by Safranfoer; 11-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    In fairness, sugar syrup doesn't do the same job. Honey does help protect bees from disease and is more nutritious.

Avocados are also felt to be morally dubious, as bees are migrated in to pollinate when the plants are fertile. This is felt to be cruel as it is depriving them of the opportunity to feed from a wide variety of food stuffs, and apparently they can't poo when in transit (I am not familiar with the bowel habits of bees - maybe they're shy?) and once the pollen has all gone, they are left hungry (do they leave them there to die?!).

These practices can also apply to foods like almonds, apples, plums, cherries, alfalfa, blueberries, watermelon, cucumbers, pumpkin, lettuce, squash and tangerines.

Unless they grew the food themselves, the vegan has no way of knowing whether migratory beekeeping practices were used.

I have no interest in becoming a vegan, but I would like to give up dairy. I don't think dairy farming is humane, and drinking another animal's milk is pretty weird. The field diagonally back from us housed a dairy herd when we moved in, and the mooing when they were separated from the calves, the sheer discomfort of their bloated udders at certain times of day, and the fact that half of them were lame and it was torture watching them drag themselves in to be milked... Really did put me off dairy, accepting that farms have different standards.

But cheese. CHEESE. And butter. Butter is goooood. I could give up milk itself easily. But cheese and butter are proving tricky.
    The honey is probably far better for the bees than the older pesticides used on the fields. Think they may be banned now though.
    I dont get the problem with eating eggs, fair enough battery hens arent good but with free range chickens etc they will lay an egg per day wether you eat them or not and the chicken has no use for them.

My son wants a horse. Even typing that sentence makes my heart sink.

I do not have time or money for horses.
    .. I've told him he needs to carry on helping Sophie with her horse for another solid year, then we'll talk.
    Its a tough one saffy.
    My daughter was introduced to horses at about 8 or 9 (had her fishing before that - first brownie at 4 and first fly caught grayling at 5, she made the cast herself). We stayed in a cottage on the upper wye and the owners had ponies from when their daughter was little (she now has a growing collection of polo ponies, a whole different world of cost).
    She then started helping at a livery yard for free rides, then got paid for it, then loaned a horse and a few years later we bought one.
    The buying bit is the cheap bit. If you think running a car is expensive...........
    Livery, Farriers, dentists, vets,

I still blame the person who started her riding whenever i see her. Not too much though as her husbant still has a couple stretches of the upper wye that i get a go at from time to time.

To be fair, it worked out for us given she makes her living from horses.

Its how we ended up with the farm. She wanted a 2nd horse. I said no way was i supporting 2. Wifes solution, buy a field. Put a business case together (i stopped paying livery on the first one, which was more than I was getting for having the money invested).
    A couple more horses arrived, then the sheep, then the dogs and cows.

Right, thats enough of a break. Back to the tractor driving.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

I had the same conversation with one of my employees. Trying to explain to her that if no one bought real Christmas trees, far fewer people would grow real Christmas trees, and therefore there would be fewer trees on the planet, was tricksy. She's also opposed to wood fuelled stoves for the same reason. Explaining how they are a carbon neutral source of heat was even more difficult.

She doesn't have a plastic tree though. She made one out of fallen branches.

My son wants a horse. Even typing that sentence makes my heart sink. His best friend's sister has one, and he's been having informal lessons and helping muck out and groom. He wants formal lessons. Livery has been mentioned. I don't feel I'm anywhere near rich enough to go near that. He wants me to ask the farmer whether we can rent the field behind our house, which did have 2 horses in it when we moved in but we haven't seen them for over a year now. It's empty. He keeps putting big eyes on me and asking me to talk to the farmer.

I do not have time or money for horses. I think I'm the only parent on the planet that wishes their kid was more into YouTube and the XBox... I've told him he needs to carry on helping Sophie with her horse for another solid year, then we'll talk.
    Sounds like my inlaws and motocross, they all race to quite high level and mention bikes for the kids quite abit, i dont want to pay for racing or bikes and then theres the danger involved which i dont like the idea of.

Sounds like my inlaws and motocross, they all race to quite high level and mention bikes for the kids quite abit, i dont want to pay for racing or bikes and then theres the danger involved which i dont like the idea of.

At least with bikes, as with fishing, you can start and stop as you like. A horse is 365 days of the year.
    Daughter is working christmas day.
    Before she could drive ive taken her to the yard so she can sort her horse.

As for nuts saffy, 30 litres of water required to produce one almond.

Right, lunch break over. Chicken and mango with rice, sat in the cow shed.
    Very sophisticated farming!
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Currently having a game of send another question mark txt if you dare with a customer.
    Ive allready ignored 3 calls from him aswel.
    We condemed his vehicle last week when it was in for mot test so hes took it to another place with a reputation for being very lenient on what they pass, now when theyve failed it he wants me to quote on the jobs that they havent missed.
    No chance im rushing to quote for it The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?