Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  3,054
Page 142 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1788

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    That's how I eat too, straight off the table, no plates
    Quaintly Australian habit.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Home made Tom Kha Gai soup with some of those dumplings for dinner tonight.

img_20191210_194953-jpg

Here we go.
    A variety of 'farming piccies'.
    Realise professional farmers take this for granted, but as an amateur, still a novelty for me.
    We buy calves in at a couple weeks old and bring them on for a year.20181007_130509-jpg
    Cant get this the right way round. Older calves, one of the collies and yours truley.img_8194-jpg
    In the shed for the winter.
    20190412_123205-jpg
    Sheep in ready for scanning with darling daughter.
    20191118_141303-jpg
    One of last years that needed a night in the utility room.
    20170304_222303-jpg
    Daughter in the grouping up polytunnel with her charges.
    img-20150402-00172-jpg
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

A couple toys and pets.

The summer health check for the ewes ahead of the ladies meeting the boys and before I finished the shed.
    20190816_121546-jpg
    The quad wirh the rappa on the back for putting up / taking down electric fencing.
    20191107_121700-jpg

Our 'new' 20 year old tractor. 6.6 litres, 16 gears and a top speed of 25 mph. The quad goes MUCH faster.
    20191104_141940-jpg

One of my daughters steeds.

water-jpg

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

OK I was imagining a handful of sheep in a small field. My mum has sheep. 3 of them. And a couple of goats. I was imagining that.

That looks like a FARM to me. Not playing at farming. Actual farming in big ol' barns. Did you say your daughter works full time too?

It looks idyllic. The hard work and early mornings are invisible in the pics... ;-)

Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    OK I was imagining a handful of sheep in a small field. My mum has sheep. 3 of them. And a couple of goats. I was imagining that.

That looks like a FARM to me. Not playing at farming. Actual farming in big ol' barns. Did you say your daughter works full time too?

It looks idyllic. The hard work and early mornings are invisible in the pics... ;-)

Thank you...
    Yeah, sort of grew a bit from when we started.
    My daughter runs a livery yard. She rents a block of 20 odd stables and 15 acres and provides full livery to people who want to ride but dont have time to look after their horses (and have lots of spare cash).
    She has a couple private liveries who have their horses at home as well. Also schools horses and teaches kiddies.
    She fits her sheep and cows around that. Out of the house 12-14 hours a day 5 days and probably 4 to 6 hours on weekends. She has a couple part time staff at the stables but since splitting with her boyfriend of 7 years its her with a bit of help from me and my wife with the animals.

The shed is 135 foot by 36 and the polytunnel 40 by 24.
    We started with 2 empty fields totalling 9 acres. She now rents another 30 ish.
    Been a real journey.

Having to scale down slightly since the split due to her buying him out. Its only been a couple months so still trying to work out what she'll have to pay for going forward that he used to do. Shearing is the obvious one.
    Ive spent a few weeks putting a business plan together. Cash flow an issue for the next 6 months then it should sort itself out (the farming is run as a separate business from the livery).
    The business side comes naturally as its what i do. Driving machinery is improving. Animals, aaaarrgghhh.
    Sheepdogs do a better job of moving sheep on their own than when i try and tell them what to do.
    I really enjoy being out doors and doing manual stuff (lost a stone and a half and increased muscle mass by about 15% in the last 6 months without going near a gym) but sitting in an office is where i earn a crust.
    Trying to get the balance right...........

........and still find time for fishing.

Hay time is fun. Have climbed into bed at 2am before now and been at my desk by 7.30

I draw the line at night shifts for lambing. 2hour checks through the night is hers, though i have done conference calls to the states at 8 or 9 at night sat on hay bales surrounded by blatting sheep.

In truth, i need to find my next contract, i need a rest.
    Last edited by salarchaser; 11-12-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post
    I say again, total respect to all those making a living off the land, meat OR veg.

Quick question to all veggies / vegans out there.

How many animals die for you to eat? Being really controversial here.
    I know one animal dies for me and others to eat our lamb, beef, chicken, pork.
    Who gives a thought for the birds, mice, voles, foxes, badgers, etc that get torn to bits by heavy machinery that allows people to eat their grains? Certainly a lot of animals die for non-meat eaters.
    Steady on. That's not on the curriculum.

Next you'll have to explain how the ripping up of hedgerows for fields of corn for combines to operate effectively masssively reduced the carrying capacity of the land for wild animals in the first place, or how fertilizers and pesticides (essential in huge monocultures of veg) kill most of the insects and then burn the rivers (though antibiotics etc in cattle do likewise).

Where have all the hedgehogs gone...?

I sat down for 5 minutes with this Extinction Rebellion youff protesting at Midland rail station one morning, poor lad, after that he was really confused, but he knew a lot more about proper environmental degradation, climate change over the last 10k years and why veganism is a bigger problem than he ever imagined...

Decorating, and planning global domination, that's what I'm doing today, but hope to get out with the grayling later...
    Last edited by seeking; 11-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

I would call that a full blown farm as it has a tractor with a propper cab the lot. My uncle had a small holding when i was a kid (they still do but with only ducks and chickens). I love the idea of having one but it does look like hard graft.
    Also messing with tractors and other farm machinery is great fun.
    I remember as a kid they had a rougue goose that was attacking everyone at random around the farm, now being a kid i thought "sorting it" would mean sending it to a zoo etc. We found the blood splatter later and figured out what the big bang had been, turns out "sorting it" was the neighbour taking its head off with a 12 bore The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?
    Also flooded the duck pond and land when i was about 5 by messing with that tap but thats a story for another time The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?
    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rrrr; 11-12-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Steady on. That's not on the curriculum.

Next you'll have to explain how the ripping up of hedgerows for fields of corn for combines to operate effectively masssively reduced the carrying capacity of the land for wild animals in the first place, or how fertilizers and pesticides (essential in huge monocultures of veg) kill most of the insects and then burn the rivers (though antibiotics etc in cattle do likewise).

Where have all the hedgehogs gone...?

I sat down for 5 minutes with this Extinction Rebellion youff protesting at Midland rail station one morning, poor lad, after that he was really confused, but he knew a lot more about proper environmental degradation, climate change over the last 10k years and why veganism is a bigger problem than he ever imagined...

Decorating, and planning global domination, that's what I'm doing today, but hope to get out with the grayling later...
    Or how the bio waste from crops adds to the greenhouse gasses.
    What to do with all the straw that is used for animal bedding, or the leafy waste from corn. Rot it down? Burn it? More gasses and pollutants.

A lot of these "fads" are ill conceived and poorly executed.
    Im all for doing my bit for the planet, but extremists need to see the big picture.

Corbyn saying they'll plant 20bn trees in the next 20 years. I did the sums. 20bn mature trees at 150 to the acre covers 2.5 times the area of wales, or 70% of scotland. Where the **** are they going to build theyre affordable houses.
    Ok, lets assume they tripple the density as they will only be small. That means just covering wales, but what happens to the existing trees?
    When i bought my fields i planted about a dozen native trees in the hedgerow and about 140 hawthorn whips (already got plenty of blackthorn to provide a steady supply of sloes ). Didnt have to, but a small contribution.

Also read that the greens, i think, was saying to get an artificial tree not a real one for Christmas so we'renot cutting down trees and they can continue to grow. Two things there. Firstly, what affect does making / disposing of an artificial tree have on the envoronment? Secondly, why do they think a christmas tree grower (theres one just up the road from me) would just let the trees grow? If no one bought them, he'd recultivate the land for something else. No trees. As it is, there is a steady cycle of growing trees. Dicks.

Anyway, back on topic.

Theres the hunter gatherer in all of us seeking. Plenty of stalkers and shooters on here besides the fishers, so theres the hunters.
    Im very lucky in that i get to do a lot of gathering as well. Besides my veggie plot and hedgerow forraging, theres the (ok, ok) farm.

Even more on topic, being a gentleman farmer, no early start, a bit of breckie and I'm ready for some leisurely tractor driving.
    Daughter was out with the dogs just after 6. Sort the pampered horses before first light then the first check of the day on the sheep.

As Jesse from the fast show might say, "today, I'll mostly be tractor driving".

Im sure alot of vegans wouldnt have a clue about combines turning mice, baby deer rabbits etc into red mist or the ammount of animals shot on the farms so they dont eat crops.
    Also read something the other day about honey not being vegan as the bees are exploited The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk