Thanks Thanks:  153
Likes Likes:  3,004
Page 141 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1776
  1. #1401
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    My previous post on this thread was when i finished the yorkshire boarding on the extension of the shed.
    Today was fixing a loose gate (got there on the quadbike ) picking up a new tractor bucket (picked it up with the tractor ) and getting the tups out from the ewes that weren't in lamb first time round. A bit of a faff. Then moved the ewes on to fresh grazing for the rest of the winter. The fly in the ointment was one of my daughters horses galloping through the gate as we were moving the sheep. He'll have to stay in the wrong paddock for now.

    Tomorrow is mucking out the cows (get to use the tractor again ) and stacking a straw delivery (more tractor driving ).

    Will have to start looking for another contract doing my day job. Orrrr, I could just carry on pretending to be a farmer.
    All credit to those out there who farm for a living. Bloody hard work. Its a hobby for me, though it helps put pennies in my daughters bank account.

    Saw the dark side of it on saturday. A ewe had got stuck on its back and was had by a fox or badger. Not a pretty sight. Not nice having to retrieve the carcass either.
    Her boyfriend used to do much of the messy stuff (crows leaving blind lambs having pecked the eyes out mr packham) before they split up. She isn't squeemish but has a 'day job' as well, so muggins gets draughted in.

    Beats sitting behind a desk.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

    That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

  2. #1402
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HUDDERSFIELD
    Posts
    2,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post
    My previous post on this thread was when i finished the yorkshire boarding on the extension of the shed.
    Today was fixing a loose gate (got there on the quadbike ) picking up a new tractor bucket (picked it up with the tractor ) and getting the tups out from the ewes that weren't in lamb first time round. A bit of a faff. Then moved the ewes on to fresh grazing for the rest of the winter. The fly in the ointment was one of my daughters horses galloping through the gate as we were moving the sheep. He'll have to stay in the wrong paddock for now.

    Tomorrow is mucking out the cows (get to use the tractor again ) and stacking a straw delivery (more tractor driving ).

    Will have to start looking for another contract doing my day job. Orrrr, I could just carry on pretending to be a farmer.
    All credit to those out there who farm for a living. Bloody hard work. Its a hobby for me, though it helps put pennies in my daughters bank account.

    Saw the dark side of it on saturday. A ewe had got stuck on its back and was had by a fox or badger. Not a pretty sight. Not nice having to retrieve the carcass either.
    Her boyfriend used to do much of the messy stuff (crows leaving blind lambs having pecked the eyes out mr packham) before they split up. She isn't squeemish but has a 'day job' as well, so muggins gets draughted in.

    Beats sitting behind a desk.

    Why has nature designed sheep in such a way that if they get on their backs they can't always get up ?
    I have rescued quite a few sheep and lambs over the years - sheep stuck on their backs , lamb stuck on a ledge by the river , ram with leg caught in wire fence, reported ewes with the staggers.
    As one shepherd on one estate told me Sheep die for fun ! I see plenty during the season that have given up the ghost on the River Till. Not a nice smell at all.

  3. #1403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    Why has nature designed sheep in such a way that if they get on their backs they can't always get up ?
    I have rescued quite a few sheep and lambs over the years - sheep stuck on their backs , lamb stuck on a ledge by the river , ram with leg caught in wire fence, reported ewes with the staggers.
    As one shepherd on one estate told me Sheep die for fun ! I see plenty during the season that have given up the ghost on the River Till. Not a nice smell at all.


    It's not just sheep that this phenomenon occurs with every morning for the very life of me I cannot drag my sorry ar5e out of bed. I think I need some kind of medical assistance. If you can recommend a decent vet then I will get myself over there pretty damned sheepish whoops sharpish - did you see that wot I did there then?
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

  4. #1404
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    Why has nature designed sheep in such a way that if they get on their backs they can't always get up ?
    I have rescued quite a few sheep and lambs over the years - sheep stuck on their backs , lamb stuck on a ledge by the river , ram with leg caught in wire fence, reported ewes with the staggers.
    As one shepherd on one estate told me Sheep die for fun ! I see plenty during the season that have given up the ghost on the River Till. Not a nice smell at all.
    I was once told that the main objective of a sheep in life is to find increasingly more inventive ways of dying.
    The problem at the moment is that heavily pregnant sheep lie down, everything settles internally and they cant get back up. Even when you get them on their feet, they are so unballanced they keep falling over.
    Twice daily checks in the field for the next 4 weeks then we'll get them in the shed till they lamb.

    We had 71 ewes scanned in lamb and expecting 107 lambs, less the one that died plus 12 or 13 that were empty first time round that we moved today.

    Time for the tups to put their hooves up til september.

    My daughter has 3 horses as well. The only animal that will quite literally eat itself to death.
    Last edited by salarchaser; 10-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

    That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

  5. #1405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    It's not just sheep that this phenomenon occurs with every morning for the very life of me I cannot drag my sorry ar5e out of bed. I think I need some kind of medical assistance. If you can recommend a decent vet then I will get myself over there pretty damned sheepish whoops sharpish - did you see that wot I did there then?
    I am convinced that mornings are part of a Big Pharma conspiracy. They have the cure. They just don't want us to have it.

  6. #1406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post
    I was once told that the main objective of a sheep in life is to find increasingly more inventive ways of dying.
    The problem at the moment is that heavily pregnant sheep lie down, everything settles internally and they cant get back up. Even when you get them on their feet, they are so unballanced they keep falling over.
    Twice daily checks in the field for the next 4 weeks then we'll get them in the shed till they lamb.

    We had 71 ewes scanned in lamb and expecting 107 lambs, less the one that died plus 12 or 13 that were empty first time round that we moved today.

    Time for the tups to put their hooves up til september.

    My daughter has 3 horses as well. The only animal that will quite literally eat itself to death.
    Have you ever shared pictures of your daughter's smallholding? Because she sounds awesome and I want to see the animals.

  7. #1407

    Default

    Dinner
    plus spouts and roasties.

    Shuggie’s roast chook.

    8d91465e-d45f-4b97-bf55-9415d6a9a6ae-jpeg
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

  8. #1408
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Dinner
    plus spouts and roasties.

    Shuggie’s roast chook.

    8d91465e-d45f-4b97-bf55-9415d6a9a6ae-jpeg
    That's how I eat too, straight off the table, no plates
    Last edited by ozzyian; 10-12-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

  9. #1409
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    Have you ever shared pictures of your daughter's smallholding? Because she sounds awesome and I want to see the animals.
    Will sort a few out Dee.

    Hard work with plenty of disappointments but very rewarding in the round.
    The animals are reared for the table, but we look to give them the best life we can in the meantime.
    Took a while before we ate "one if our own" but don't have an issue with it now.

    I'd happily give the animals a miss so long as i could still play with the machinary. Unfortunately, if it wasn't for the animals, we wouldn't need the machinary.
    I suppose occupational farmers take a lot for granted. 6 years in its still a novelty for me. And as i said, I'd rather sit behind the wheel of a tractor than sit behind a desk. Though i can make a lot more money for far less effort sat behind a desk.
    I say again, total respect to all those making a living off the land, meat OR veg.

    Quick question to all veggies / vegans out there.

    How many animals die for you to eat? Being really controversial here.
    I know one animal dies for me and others to eat our lamb, beef, chicken, pork.
    Who gives a thought for the birds, mice, voles, foxes, badgers, etc that get torn to bits by heavy machinery that allows people to eat their grains? Certainly a lot of animals die for non-meat eaters.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

    That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

  10. #1410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    First day off work sick in years today, middle child was sent home from school after being sick yesterday, and although i was in late and didnt see him the little gits left his germs lying about. so spewing all night and no sleep so im having a day in bed to get sorted.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I feel your pain.

    When you recover, do what I did today.

    I collected Daughter No 1 from School and, with my single functional ear to the wind, I gave every one of those children a cold hard stare.

    “Is it YOU who carries ear infections? Or maybe you, you look like a grubby little boy and your mum’s definitely slummy.” my eyes seemed to say, as I nodded my head and smiled at the other parents, can’t hear a flipping thing.

    Children = Biological weapons

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •