Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Never letting on where your favourite sloe / giant puffball / worm patches are is an ancient country art.

Check out the for the first bold white blooms of spring, before anything has leaves, and mark them down and that's your patch... don't tell your mates when you have located a good one and remember there's that foraging permission from the landowner you may need As ever, try and avoid areas near A roads / motorways / sewage works / landfill etc.

Freeze them if they've not experienced frost before you pick them. Slush them up a bit before adding the gin. I normally just use cheap Gordons etc. when there's a special offer and add the sugar (2: 1 sloes:sugar) with a handful of blanched almonds in the big kilners. BUT this year having seen Handel's suggestion, I will make it the way I make my cassis: by adding a sugar solution later - sounds a much better idea.

Once finished and it's gone through the muslin, (overnight draining is better than forcing it as that tends to add cloudiness) I tend to make a tongue stripping sloe gin jelly jam by boiling 1:1 with water till all mashed up, sieving through the muslin again, overnight, and adding sugar (~500g per 1l as I recall) and then boiling to a set, bottling and forgetting till the next year when the edge is taken off.

Actually if you have a surplus of sloe gin, remember to "forget" the odd litre bottle in the cellar for discovery in about 10 years (if you have time) as it is a totally different experience then :yum:
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Nice post seeking.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

12oz of berries
    6oz of sugar
    1 pint of gin/ vodka or Whisky.

Made Sloe Motion ( whisky ) for first time last year and it was beautiful.
    I ***** every berry with cocktail stick into a chipshop pickled onion
    jar, cover with sugar then pour the liquid in.
    I shake daily for first 5 days or till sugar dissolves then leave for 3
    months.

Quote Originally Posted by midgydug View Post
    12oz of berries
    6oz of sugar
    1 pint of gin/ vodka or Whisky.

Made Sloe Motion ( whisky ) for first time last year and it was beautiful.
    I ***** every berry with cocktail stick into a chipshop pickled onion
    jar, cover with sugar then pour the liquid in.
    I shake daily for first 5 days or till sugar dissolves then leave for 3
    months.
    Keep it simple, lovely. Couldn't get sloes a few years ago and seen some advertised in England so sent for them. Very small and expensive,will not be doing that again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123