Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I normally just use cheap and cheerful gin. Assuming that I am using the sloes fresh, I get a fork and pierce them extensively before putting into an empty bottle, fill to about one third.

Then add sugar - I don't actually measure it but definitely not too much unless you like it very sweet and sickly. You can always add some more after straining and tasting.

Then top up the bottle with gin and keep turning upside down a few times a week and watch the colour infuse into the gin.

I think you are supposed to leave for a few months but I often forget to strain and have left them in for 1 year plus !

Strain through a muslin cloth over a sieve to remove all the bits.

Drink !

Have tried with vodka and brandy, not as good as the gin IMHO.
    Last edited by Occasional salmon fisher; 12-10-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional salmon fisher View Post
    Normally find them in hedgerows that don't get trimmed too often.
    all the hedges seem to have where i am is loads of hawthorn and rosehip but no blackthorn bushes

Off direct topic...again.

Many years ago I went to Plymouth to meet a Capt. Ronnie Farr - who at that time ran Hawker-Pedler Sloe Gin - regarding a possible redevelopment of their warehouse on Sutton Quay. He turned out to be a keen Thurso fisherman as well as having been for a time the brewer at Colditz!

It was immediately apparent that the building was not suitable for my purpose, but we had an interesting time discussing fishing, looking at his pictures, fishing flies and - unfortunately - I gleaned no information to pass on regarding Sloe Gin, other than that the very best Sloes come from Ireland ()...he used nothing else!

Sloe Gin poured over vanilla ice cream!!!!
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 191115 March 1994)

What an excellent thread. Ive just picked a bag full of sloes, was going to start the process tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uskgrub View Post
    all the hedges seem to have where i am is loads of hawthorn and rosehip but no blackthorn bushes
    Loads of blackthorn plants in the hedges near me, sadly very few sloes, scraped (just) together enough to make a 1 litre batch. No idea why, but in other years the bushes have been dripping with fruit, they haven't for the last 2 years!
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    Last edited by Aled; 12-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Nothing on the bushes round my way either.
    Was going to have my first attempt this year, but looks like ill have to wait till next year.

P.S. Never let Kingfisher know your spots.!!!!!

His poor neighbor told him once and has wondered why there hasn't been any berries since.

I have 3 litres on the go just now, on one of my syndicates I shoot over in West Burton has loads of fruit just now. Sloes are good this year!!

That said, the elderberries have been good too and I have experimented with some of them in vodka! Never done them before, but they have been plentiful.

One thing I did with my sloes last year after they have been in gin is reused them in a bottle of port, which was left for about 6 months, got to say that unbelievable stuff!

On another slant, a good few shooting folk i know are mad for "pear drop" vodka, which is a 250g bag of pear drops in a litre of voddy until they have dissolved.

Sloe Port! Sounds great.
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by NoviceFly View Post
    I have 3 litres on the go just now, on one of my syndicates I shoot over in West Burton has loads of fruit just now. Sloes are good this year!!

That said, the elderberries have been good too and I have experimented with some of them in vodka! Never done them before, but they have been plentiful.

One thing I did with my sloes last year after they have been in gin is reused them in a bottle of port, which was left for about 6 months, got to say that unbelievable stuff!

On another slant, a good few shooting folk i know are mad for "pear drop" vodka, which is a 250g bag of pear drops in a litre of voddy until they have dissolved.
    Works with worthers originals too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast