Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Hmm, not so sure about that, it's very easy to say the right thing in opposition (as Mr Corbyn has been doing ever since he's been leader). And what's with his hair?!

As unworkable as it might have been, even I as a dyed in the wool Brexiteer see that a cross party approach should have been attempted on Brexit.

Oscar.
    He's a lawyer. A good one at that. I cling to this.

But you are right. The worst thing about all of it is that haven't even explored a cross party approach and are actively seeking opportunities to shut the other parties out by bypassing parliament. It can't lead to anything good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    Gold standard! No, afraid not. Incompetent, ill informed, poorly trained and child like. Yes.
    Well all things are relative Dryfly and you would have to judge them against alternative and competing methods and organisations. Perhaps you might have had an even worse time had you been asking for funding in Italy or Poland for example?

Perhaps you are right but your description of the Civil Service as incompetent, ill informed, poorly trained and child like is a description the like of which I have never heard before. In my experience criticism (but in a far milder form) of financial practise for example can generally be applied to any non commercial entity. I found that the hard and competitive nature of commercial venture tended to result in a culture quite different to funded activities.

Whilst never having experienced what you describe I have heard before the type of criticism you've mentioned levelled at the EU as an organisation, so hopefully we'll be fine!

BTW where did you hear that 80% of civil servants voted to stay? sounds like a high figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    He's a lawyer. A good one at that. I cling to this.

But you are right. The worst thing about all of it is that haven't even explored a cross party approach and are actively seeking opportunities to shut the other parties out by bypassing parliament. It can't lead to anything good.
    Well I'd agree with that and I recall saying a year ago here that what we really need is some people like Alan Johnson bringing their union knowledge and contacts to bear - those guys should be gently and quietly talking to Merkel and if she won't entertain it then in that case talking to the German car unions (who have a lot of skin in this game)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234