Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  304
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Well to hell with Gatland, England Argentina is s proper rugby series.

"These guys will be with us for a week and they are for bench cover. They understand that's the way it is." quote from Gattland on the BBC web site....
    Take from that what you will!
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Well done Scotland, great result. Good showing from the Lions too.

The Argentina v England game was a good game of rugby. Ireland won quite easily by the looks of it.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Cracking Lions win over Maori ABs: Pack were impressive and surely that's the test starter (though Mr G will doubtless plump for AWJ over Itoje). Ben Teo, why can noone go with him? He's pretty immense, Davies also good. Halfpenny impressive. North absent Did anyone see him do anything other than gift a try that Maori ABs should have not had (32:0 would have been a better representation). Do those Wales backs not talk to each other

Brilliantly done by Scotland! What a win over Aus. Cheika must be under immense pressure. Surely a back rower or two from there to cover for the Lions?

Well done Wales on winning to Tonga, and to Ireland over Japan.

England-Argentina clearly pick of the bunch, what a game. Another belter. Another one where backs were bewildered at the scrummaging skill of a bunch of forwards!!

Where has this George Ford been these last few years - what a display (missed one kick in series, belting try, belting drop kick and of course, as usual, brilliant controlling play).

Anyway, that's all a bit The Rugby Thread. But you see there's an elephant in the room.

Four years ago, when the Lions were in Aus, England were in Argentina. Alex Corbisiero got the call and went over and scored a crucial try in the decider. Now, given we need the best of the best to beat the ABs and there's a chance of significant losses in the first test, and second, so where is the logic in that?

Sure if the Lions win it will be "OK", as it was when BoD was dropped (they would have won anyway regardless IMHO) but what if significant injuries come to pass, who is going to look foolish?
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

I'm afraid that it for me lads, when you call up the Wales "b" team to Lions jerseys- devalues the the whole event in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Cracking Lions win over Maori ABs: Pack were impressive and surely that's the test starter (though Mr G will doubtless plump for AWJ over Itoje). Ben Teo, why can noone go with him? He's pretty immense, Davies also good. Halfpenny impressive. North absent Did anyone see him do anything other than gift a try that Maori ABs should have not had (32:0 would have been a better representation). Do those Wales backs not talk to each other

Brilliantly done by Scotland! What a win over Aus. Cheika must be under immense pressure. Surely a back rower or two from there to cover for the Lions?

Well done Wales on winning to Tonga, and to Ireland over Japan.

England-Argentina clearly pick of the bunch, what a game. Another belter. Another one where backs were bewildered at the scrummaging skill of a bunch of forwards!!

Where has this George Ford been these last few years - what a display (missed one kick in series, belting try, belting drop kick and of course, as usual, brilliant controlling play).

Anyway, that's all a bit The Rugby Thread. But you see there's an elephant in the room.

Four years ago, when the Lions were in Aus, England were in Argentina. Alex Corbisiero got the call and went over and scored a crucial try in the decider. Now, given we need the best of the best to beat the ABs and there's a chance of significant losses in the first test, and second, so where is the logic in that?

Sure if the Lions win it will be "OK", as it was when BoD was dropped (they would have won anyway regardless IMHO) but what if significant injuries come to pass, who is going to look foolish?
    All academic anyway my friend. 3 0 ABs

Or possibly the Lions will win the last one

Gatland has already decided what he's going to do and he's making 'safe' decisions. Whether he thinks he can win two games or not I don't know but it's not adventurous and it looks like damage limitation to me. He'll be able to say that the schedule was the decider though - (possibly so)

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    All academic anyway my friend. 3 0 ABs

Or possibly the Lions will win the last one

Gatland has already decided what he's going to do and he's making 'safe' decisions. Whether he thinks he can win two games or not I don't know but it's not adventurous and it looks like damage limitation to me. He'll be able to say that the schedule was the decider though - (possibly so)
    Agree about Gatland but otherwise, not so sure. OK, the ABs can put on a great game against the "Italy" of the SH, but really?

In 2014, when May smoked Dagg, but for a couple of unusually poor decisions by Sir Nigel, England would have won the first and had a better chance of getting over the 2nd test. As it was they crumpled for the 3rd.

On paper these Lions are much better than that England team(you may remember them from RWC2015), their defence being better than Brown/Ashton. If the Lions can get over the first with a win, who knows what will happen. They can certainly win the series (new England could, but then they have the best coach!)

If the Lions can keep Beauden Barrett as quiet as they kept Damian McKenzie in the Maori ABs game, and the scrum is as good, and there's a true class back 3, I suspect the ABs won't be able to play the flowing running game they (and the Crusaders and Maori ABs) are used to being allowed to play by lesser teams.

Then all we need is Teo to hit SBW once early doors... Job done...

There's always hope and I famously do have a perpetually half-full glass.

C'mon, come over fully to the Dark Side of the NH and drop this faux support of the ABs, let's lobby Gatland for more Scots.

Regardless should you not be now more worried about the old homeland: you can't dine out on the hosts ignominious exit from 2015RWC forever - time to look closer to home about the waning of the Aussie shine, Aus = the New Saffers...
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

"I'm afraid that it for me lads, when you call up the Wales "b" team to Lions jerseys- devalues the the whole event in my opinion."

Couldn't agree more I'm sorry to say. Gatland using tour replacements to try to develop his iffy Welsh players. Schedule was bad but this discrediting carry on is worse. Credibility sacrificed for "convienence" and one of the few positive legacies of empire shot through.

And Mayler is a moron.
    Last edited by JACK POWER; 20-06-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Can't see Gatland becoming Scotland coach any time soon .....

Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast