Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Growth in my dogs ear

Perhaps someone could lend some experience on this subject.

My 6 year old border terrier had an ear infection a few weeks ago and was treated at the vets but now there is like a fungal growth growing in one of his ears. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow and hope it's nothing overly serious.

He's shaking his head more than often and you can see a growth like shape when you hold the flap of his ear up.

I know there are a lot of you guy's on here very experienced with dogs. Have any of you encountered this problem before?

Regards

Kenny
    Last edited by kenny007; 29-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you donít try Hidden Content

I hope it goes OK tomorrow. Sorry I can't help re the ear infection !
    I have 2 border terriers and one of them keeps the local practice in business !
    She is 12 years old and our latest bill was nearly £2k ! Removal of stomach tumour weighing 500g and she is insured !
    Hope your bill is considerably less and your dog is ok !

Is it hard or soft? What size and how deep inside the ear is it?
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 1911Ė15 March 1994)

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Is it hard or soft? What size and how deep inside the ear is it?
    Simon, it's not deep, i can see it clearly and it's perhaps 6 or 7mm. I really don't want to put pressure on it to find if it's hard or soft.

We are booked into the vet this afternoon. This is the 3rd ear infection he's had in his 6 years. The lump wasn't there when he was last there about 3 weeks ago but not sure if this may be down to him scratching hard in his ear. I've caught him with his paw actually in his ear scratching and wimpering whilst he's doing so.

I hope it's nothing too serious, he's such a cute wee fella who we love and care for dearly. I will let you know what the outcome of todays visit to the vet.

Fingers crossed
    Last edited by kenny007; 30-12-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you donít try Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    I hope it goes OK tomorrow. Sorry I can't help re the ear infection !
    I have 2 border terriers and one of them keeps the local practice in business !
    She is 12 years old and our latest bill was nearly £2k ! Removal of stomach tumour weighing 500g and she is insured !
    Hope your bill is considerably less and your dog is ok !
    My lord, that is a big toumor in such a small dog. I take my hat off to you for not taking the easy way out and doing the right thing by your dog.

Has she made a full recovery ?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny007 View Post
    My lord, that is a big toumor in such a small dog. I take my hat off to you for not taking the easy way out and doing the right thing by your dog.

Has she made a full recovery ?

She has made a fantastic recovery .
    When we took her for her operation we thought that would be the last time we would see her alive!
    She hadn't been well for over a year and had been to the vets a few times but they couldn't find anything wrong until just over 6 weeks ago when vet spotted that her blood glucose level was very very low and then found a lump in her stomach.
    Anyway she is back to her old self ,hunting for moles and voles in the fields , long walks etc...
    Amazing really.

Good luck this afternoon !
    Border terriers are just the best dogs you can have ! (SG may disagree !!)

Kenny - are you sure it ain't an engorged tick ?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny007 View Post
    Simon, it's not deep, i can see it clearly and it's perhaps 6 or 7mm. I really don't want to put pressure on it to find if it's hard or soft.

We are booked into the vet this afternoon. This is the 3rd ear infection he's had in his 6 years. The lump wasn't there when he was last there about 3 weeks ago but not sure if this may be down to him scratching hard in his ear. I've caught him with his paw actually in his ear scratching and wimpering whilst he's doing so.

I hope it's nothing too serious, he's such a cute wee fella who we love and care for dearly. I will let you know what the outcome of todays visit to the vet.

Fingers crossed
    Probably just a cyst or a bite thats gone manky.For me I would just stick a pin in it and see if it leaks puss.If it does give it a good squeeze and rub some heavily salted water on it for a few days.
    If its hard then it could be a growth but a growth wouldn't appear so quickly.
    Let me know what the vet says because if you're uncertain about anything the vet is always the first option.
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Default Canker maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    Doubt it'll be Canker but without seeing it who knows.
    Best way to avoid Canker is to use Thornit powder once every couple of weeks or so..Brilliant stuff for sprinkling on cuts and small wounds too!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast