Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

His D loop is on his right. The river is running from right to left, therefore the line is upstream of him when he delivers the forward cast. A double Spey for example in the same conditions would be performed with the left hand up, rod swept up to the right shoulder and then back to the key position with left hand at left shoulder, d loop downstream to deliver the forward cast.

River Right to left, right hand up has to be d loop upstream of you and vice versa (unless you are casting ‘cack handed’)

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    His D loop is on his right. The river is running from right to left, therefore the line is upstream of him when he delivers the forward cast. A double Spey for example in the same conditions would be performed with the left hand up, rod swept up to the right shoulder and then back to the key position with left hand at left shoulder, d loop downstream to deliver the forward cast.

River Right to left, right hand up has to be d loop upstream of you and vice versa (unless you are casting ‘cack handed’)
    If you dont mind me saying so, I think you are visualizing these casts with the river running from your right to your left - with you stood on the left bank.

But in the video clip , the caster is facing us, looking at the camera - on the true right bank of the river.

For the caster, the river is running from his left shoulder to his right shoulder. He sweeps the line upstream and then back circling up over his right shoulder, forming his D loop on his right shoulder downstream of him.

I am happy to agree to disagree at this point (if that is necessary), for the greater good.

Casting is better demonstrated, as opposed to described in (many) words.
    Last edited by offshore; 21-08-2019 at 09:28 PM.

As I said he’s casting almost directly downstream and standing in the middle of the river so makes things look a bit odd (probably for demonstration purposes) But that cast should be used right hand up from the left bank looking downstream. It’s a modified snap T.

If the cast/positioning was as you described he’d actually be casting somewhere towards the camera. Picture him on the left bank (you can actually see it’s deeper water on the far side than the water close to camera, which may help visualisation) and casting a long line downstream and it hopefully will make more sense

EDIT: in fairness there is a similar downstream version of the cast which is the downstream or reverse snap T mentioned above but that cast is much more of a T shape to line up the downstream anchor with the forward cast and looks quite different when compared to the C shape seen here. If it’s a downstream anchor cast you want then that is a good option as is a circle Spey, although I’m not great at the latter. Must speak to that casting instructor again...
    Last edited by T7; 21-08-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Default Is it a Snap T or Double Spey ?

Possibly a version of the aerial double Spey as shown in one of Eions tutorials on You Tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bex; 21-08-2019 at 11:11 PM.

A very dynamic variation of a Double Spey cast. Or however one wants to call it.
    I use it quite often river right side in winter fishing for Danube salmon. Just for clarification what it means:
    There are heavy and oversized streamers up to 25 cm used on short Skagit Belly’s and sinktips. Those flies can be lifted up this way with a reversed snake much better and placed for anchor more precise compared to a “normal” Double Spey or a PerryPoke for example. Those “flies” play a much bigger part in anchor and resistance compared to salmon flies. If those flies are not placed correctly, the forward delivery is impossible. At least with the rods and Skagit weights I still feel casting fun with...
    It’s a river right side situation where a “normal” Double Spey or a quick Snake right hand up is enough for a usual sized fly for salmon fishing.

But hey, Eion Fairgrieve knows what he is doing. He simply likes dynamic casts and casting ! And I am sure, he adapts his casting when fishing.
    But if we analyse his cast, it’s possible to put rod and line far upstreams for a very good rod load because all the line is in the air before placing the anchor. Nevertheless he takes care for full water contact of the whole line.
    Additional, the snake movement, no matter if reversed or not, adds a lot of dynamic into each cast. In this case not by speed of line, because of the waterborne DS, which takes linespeed away, compared to the airborne Snake as a touch and go cast, but because of the dynamic and rhythm of the casters movements. To say it that way, it’s easier to form a dynamic D-Loop for a good rod load after a dynamic begin of a cast.
    Last edited by wetwader; 21-08-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    - Let´s be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Got to agree with Loxie, all he needed to do was a simple single spey.

What about if he had a downstream wind ? A single spey could end with a hook in the left ear lobe.

Nb. I realise he is only doing this for a demo, but it looks a more dynamic cast than the DS, when you have a downstream wind.

I don't see owt wrong with that cast at all, for river right and a downstream wind.Ok tadge noisey and maybe a bit overly splashy, but what the 'ell.Mr.Fairgreive is only just a tadge better at the casting lark than wot I is!.
    Think it all through, what is a label fixed to any cast, does it matter if in the same circumstances you use a Double Spey, a Snake Roll or tye the lot to a brick and heave it in!(that is a tadge splashy).
    If you have the confidence and the ability to form a loop in the direction you need to be casting does it really matter how you do that(as long as its safe!), does it matter that the way you form your loop isn't in the "Boys Book of Spey Casts" or maybe dosen't strictly conform to tradition?.
    At the end of the day, you never stop learning at the casting lark, there's something new every trip out to be learnt and absorbed for another time.
    Maybe we all should try a little creativity and experimentation!. See you in casualty then,I'll be the one with a wee tube n little terrible embedded in me!
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    I am being especially thick this morning but does this clip show a Snap T or a double spey ?

If its a double spey I have been doing the initial sweep upstream wrong for years - which is quite probable.

Thanks

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.n...12&oe=5E12899A
    It is certainly a snap type cast with a cut underneath. However it should also be considered that Eoin is just repeatedly casting without any change of direction simply for practice or demonstration sake alone, for practice or demo of the tear or peel and D loop set up transition into the forward cast e.t.c. and that there was actually no change of direction involved. The line therefore being lifted from about the position it landed on the previous cast. It seems so to me looking at the direction of the line on the part of the initial lift shown. A snap cast without a change of direction for practice or demo.
    Last edited by minitube; 02-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123