Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had a try of simon gawesworths way of explaining the single spey with a man climbing a mountain then skiing down the other side into a valley then up the other side for the lift and back stroke but my casting was terrible with that method.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rotenone View Post
    one of the best pieces of double handed fly casting instruction you will watch
    The cast he uses at the end was shown to me years ago and was called the figure of 8 Single spey great for large changes of direction eg 90 degrees,its also a fantastic cast to use when stripping in flies as this move allows the fly to come much closer and also when using sinking heads as this rolls the line into the air negating the density of the line
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post
    Misconceptions are common and not stupid. In fact easy for them to occur.

I learned a certain style, one of the golden rules in it was that the rod tip does not drop behind you. After the rod tip passes you on the way back means after it passes your side and moves behind you in a direction opposite where your leading foot is facing. In other words on a Single Spey, not when it just passes the line of the target, or passes slightly upstream of you when it may still be dipping slightly or leveling out, but when it passes the side of your hips or body on the way backwards. What happens behind you, not upstream of you but still in front of you. Upstream of you but behind you.

To show people what I mean if teaching I have faced the target direction, stretched my two arms out fully to the sides, and said when the rod tip passes the line of my arms is what I mean by behind me.

Before that you can do any amount of lifting and dipping, in swings and whatever. The first single Spey casts I learned were all in swings, that was the normal traditional single Spey cast at the time.
    Thanks for that clarification; good job I asked because I even misunderstood that. I was picturing parallel to the target line, but as you point out the line could still be dipping there.

I will think of 'The Angel of the North' when I am driving past it on the way to fish the Tyne; once I rotate past the outstretched wing (my hip) I will be all rising curve from now on!

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12