Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spey O Mega Competition 2017

The annual Spey O Mega Spey casting competition will be held on the Shannon at the Anglers Rest, Clonlara on 14th and 15th October. The event is sponsored as usual by Pat Nolan of Premier Angling Supplies Nenagh, and James Chalmers of Gaelforce. There will also be an amateur or have a go competition this year for any novices willing to have a bash.
    Last edited by minitube; 05-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

The Spey O Mega competition was held at Cloonlara on the Shannon on what will have been the last day of reasonable or normal weather conditions prior to the storm arriving today. The competition is sponsored by Pat Nolan of Premier Angling Supplies Nenagh, and by James Chalmers of Gaelforce Flyfishing.

There was a bigger turnout this year and the final results were,

1st Shane Hickey, Limerick with 156’ 2”
    2nd Robert Gillespie, Foxford with 152’ 9”
    3rd Martin Kiely, Limerick with 150’ 4”
    4th Michael Egan, Ballina with 146’
    5th Michael O’Kane, Draperstown with 144’
    6th Derek Doyle, Dublin with 133’ 5”

It was good to be there competing and to meet all the Limerick lads again including not only the competitors, but also those who come out to watch the event. The overall casting ability of some competitors seems to improve every season and I feel there was a notable marked improvement this year, all of which makes things much more competitive and as a result more interesting. Michael Egan and Shane Hickey especially were on top form.

That said, the resuts in competitions also don't always reflect the overall ability of some casters and certainly Michael O'Kane had a bad run of luck in the final after making good qualifying casts. What would be the winning cast for him caught a branch and ended hanging on a tree as happened to James Chalmers a few years ago. On another qualifying session cast of similar form the wool landed on the bank and it was not counted. Sometimes you have to have a little luck for things to go right in the allotted time, sometimes its seems things conspire against you. Such is the nature of competition where for instance I end up placed ahead of a caster whom I personally know has, and is, very far surpassed me in competition casting ability, and one who also holds the longest recorded cast for this particular event. I also have him to thank for any placement I do have, as it is his guidance that causes me to improve in this sport which is so different from normal fishing casting.

Everyone used Gaelforce 80 ft competition Spey lines cut in length to suit the rods. Rods were G.Loomis, C.N.D. and Gaelforce 15 ft competition rods.

Sorry to see Hibernicus did not make it to the event this year, was looking forward to seeing you there Donal.

spey-o-mega-1-jpg
    The layout of the competition, this is not the main Shannon River but a siding of it.

spey-o-mega-2-jpg
    The marking is very accurate with the delivery into a shallow downriver.

spey-o-mega-3-jpg
    Some of the competitors

shane-jpg
    Pat Nolan presenting the prizes, !st place Shane Hickey, Limerick

robert-2nd-jpg
    2nd Robert Gillespie, Foxford

martin-3rd-jpg
    3rd Martin Kiely, Limerick

michael-4th-jpg
    4th Michael Egan, Ballina. This prize sponsored and presented by Derek Doyle.

michael-michael-jpg
    The tree makes a handy rod rest
    Last edited by minitube; 16-10-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Good job landing 2nd with all that competition Robert nice 1
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    Good job landing 2nd with all that competition Robert nice 1
    Thanks Dexter. You'll have to come over some time yourself and give it a go.
    Last edited by minitube; 16-10-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    Buddha

Congratulations Robert on a great result.

Well done all of you who made this a clearly great day.

And thanks for adding the pics minitube.

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post
    Thanks Dexter. You'll have to come over some time yourself and give it a go.
    Would love to mate,might as well make my sport casting coss i aint catch owt
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    Would love to mate,might as well make my sport casting coss i aint catch owt
    You can't catch whats not there Dexter. As we sometimes say here, the hardest ones to catch are the ones that aren't there.
    Last edited by minitube; 16-10-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Buddha

Congratulations minitube

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post
    Sorry to see Hibernicus did not make it to the event this year, was looking forward to seeing you there Donal...
    Likewise Robert; only the arrival of number three grandchild kept me away!
    I'll be up in Ballina on business in April if not before, and perhaps we can we can take up with the casting lessons where we left off.
    H
    PS: Since our last session I have acquired three Gaelforce lines to match the rod (from Pat Nolan of course!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast