Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Sunray Shadows

Default Sunray Shadows

What size of sunray do other forum members use for small, medium and large rivers?

Also, is the standard version the best colour to use on UK rivers or is it worth having a selection of colours?

Thanks for the link wtf, very interesting.

But it doesn't really cover colours, or what size for what river. So if anybody's got anything to add I'm all ears...

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by rubberwellie View Post
    Anyone?
    Try this for a start

Lower water
    1" with a 3" wing

bigger water

1.25" with a 3.5" wing

bigger again

1.5 with a 4" wing

roaring

1.75 with a 4.5" wing or a 2" with a 5" wing

should see you covering most bases, tie a few of each and when you look in the box you'll be able to guage what you want to use on the day

CB

Quote Originally Posted by rubberwellie View Post
    What size of sunray do other forum members use for small, medium and large rivers?

Also, is the standard version the best colour to use on UK rivers or is it worth having a selection of colours?
    PM sent.

PM replied to.

Cheers guys

I use sunray's from 3" to 6" the only reason I change the size of fly is accomidate the different water conditions and how fast I want to fish the fly.

Fast fly/big water- big Sunray 4"/6"

Slower fly/ lower water- smaller sunray 3"

If the water is cold in the spring I might fish a 4" sunray very slowly and visversa using a small 3" sunray fished very fast in warmer water.

As to colour I only use a white underwing of bucktail with goat hair above that and then topped off with three strands of peacock herl. I will put some pic's up if I get time..

Sunray Shadow ... I do use this fly for my night fishing up in Norway in JUNE and JULY almost exclusively. For me there is no better and a more succesful fly for night-fishing than a Sunray Shadow in various sizes.
    I choose for my fishing medium size Sunrays between 6 and 10 cm. Too big Sunrays are prone to unsuccesful takes which I've realised on occations bitterly. In my earlier age one Salmon in the 30 lbs class took my really big Sunray (18 cm) at the long wing only a few yards out of my rod tip on the first cast at Sanden pool (Gaula). Since then I'm using very very succesful medium size Sunrays or variants of the classic Sunray Shadow fly. I LOVE THIS FLY - it's simple to tie, cheap reagaring the material you have to use .... and I've mentioned it already ....
    IT'S DEADLY FLY.

By the way, I do tie 90% of my Sunrays on Alutubes. Sunrays on Alutubes are sitting better and more stable below the surface also when current is increasing on the way down a pool!

Tight-lines
    Steve

Here you go.

This is just an example i don't normaly bother to dress the tube anymore as i think they are better left clear.

The reason i epoxy eyes on the front is that it helps to ballance the fly a bit

As to what size for what river it doesn't really matter its how fast you want to fish it that matters in my IMO.

Jimmy