Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default spey line or skandi line?

I would like some advice from the forum with regards to the above, I haven't salmon fished for some years and seem to have lost my way with lines, I have two salmon rods both 15ft, one is a sage and the other a hardy elite I have always used my rio windcutter multi tip for summer fishing and a wetcel sinking line on my Hardy, I like spey lines but have been informed that is old school now I will be fishing the spey and some other large rivers if anybody could give me some advice I would be most grateful thanks.

both lines have there place in any armoury,spey lines mean you do not need to strip in a lot of line before making next cast,i use both but prefer scandi lines as i like to work the fly and differ my retrieve to different situations,spey lines are more cast and swing the fly

It depends which suits you to be honest. Something like the john norris atlantic integrated scandi line should allow you to dip your toe into scandi lines and see if it suits you for under 20 quid.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

pat-mac, there's nowt in the rules that say you have to go all Scandi, especially if you're happy with how your fishing with your current kit!.
    However, giving yourself another approach in your fishing is no bad thing.You could do much worse than considering a Multi Tip shooting head outfit that has 15ft tips.Much like your Windcutter Multi tip it'll let you cover a lot of base's and as long as its the same line rating you can swop n change your tips between the lines.
    I'd also opt for a coated type of floating running line(30lb B.S.) AND a set of 5ft poly tips.The 5ft polys will help with your casting/presentation and extend the sinking portion of tip and enhance the flexibility of the line no end!.
    Now I don't know much about the Elite (other than its a good rod!), but the Sage rods in general all take to shooting heads well, so I'd focus on organising a head for that rod!,in the 1st instance any way.
    If you're happy with it all, there's nowt to stop you extending to more shooting heads to suit your needs in your fishing as you go.
    Best of luck, Pedro.

Provided that you have ample room behind you to form a good D-loop there's no need for you to change from your Spey lines. The Windcutter remains a good compromise between a full Spey line and a Scandi length for most normal applications.

With 15 foot rods the Skagit isn't a good option: it's designed for the specific purpose of shifting very heavy flies and ultra-fast sinking leaders with the absolute minimum of D-loop space. As a result the head is very short - normally around 27-28 feet - and best suited to shorter rods. If you're staying with your 15 footers, don't bother with a Skagit head (my Skagit rod is 13' 6").

You could find the shorter Scandi heads useful in situations where you have limited back cast space. But in all other circumstances, if you are competent and confident with a medium or full length Spey line, stay with what you know.

Thanks longchuck i like to work a fly so i will give a scandi a try.

Thanks Rennie some good advice will consider the shooting head.

some great advice MCXFisher i can cast well with my wind cutter on the Sage and i have tried a skagit on my Hardy rod and i liked the way it punches out heavy tubes.

Good point Rrrr will call in John Norris.