Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dying session on Sat.

20200118_120747-jpg

1st thing is to degrease. I'm no expert when it comes to dying but this is a fairly straight forward job. Some hot water in the bottom of the sink with some fairy liquid. Agitate the materials and give them a good swirl. I let them steep then swirled around some more...

20200118_121515-jpg

Rinse thoroughly in cold running water...

20200118_121515-jpg

The instructions state 1/4 teaspoon of dye and 1 table spoon of vinegar in 1 litre of boiling water. As I wanted a really strong yellow and as I had the pelt and 4 tails to dye i decided to double the quantities to 1/2 teaspoon of dye and 2 table spoons of vinegar with still the 1 litre of water. A high pot save splashes ruining the wifes tea towels along with your best Primark t shirt. So 1/2 teaspoon of dye in to pot. Be sure to stir well until totally dissolved then stir some more. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar and again give it a good stir. Adjust the heat til you just see small bubbles coming up from the base of the pot and throw the material in...

20200118_121155-jpg
    20200118_121318-jpg

Agitate well as it simmers away. The pelt was already a light yellow so I checked after 3-4 minutes. The skin will give you an idea of how the final colour will be but will be a shade or 2 lighter when dry.
    I gave the pelt a few more minutes...probably 7 in total. Looked fine so took it out and gave it a rinse in cold running water..

20200118_122517-jpg
    20200118_122840-jpg

Happy with the colour of the pelt I sat it on the radiator to slowly dry. The squirrel tails were still simmering away for a total period of around 12 minutes as they were natural. I took them out and rinsed well with cold running water and they looked fine when wet...

20200118_123626-jpg
    20200118_125302-jpg

Sat them kn the rad to slowly dry and teased the fibres out to the side to make tying easier...

20200118_184027-jpg

The end result...

20200118_164205-jpg

20171214_172349-jpg
    Last edited by salmonaddict; 21-01-2020 at 12:15 AM.
    "If want a fish, I'll take a fish so get over it"

Fookin hell admin...why is it such a chore to do a step-by-step on this forum?!? 🤔🤪

Also chopped off my 1st paragraph or was that me?!? 🥵
    Last edited by salmonaddict; 21-01-2020 at 12:35 AM.

It was worth it!
    Thanks for doing this: you made me realise how (relatively) straightforward this can be.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonaddict View Post
    Fookin hell admin...why is it such a chore to do a step-by-step on this forum?!? 🤔🤪

Also chopped off my 1st paragraph or was that me?!? 🥵
    Awesome stuff Salmonaddict. There is something about dyeing your own materials. I got some synthrapol to degrease - but like you I normally use soap or washy liquid and havenít noticed too much difference.

Belting set of ghillies there as well!

Appreciate you taking the time to post - and the primary reason I think people are put off making an effort to share is the pain that is photo upload!

All the best, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    Awesome stuff Salmonaddict. There is something about dyeing your own materials. I got some synthrapol to degrease - but like you I normally use soap or washy liquid and havenít noticed too much difference.

Belting set of ghillies there as well!

Appreciate you taking the time to post - and the primary reason I think people are put off making an effort to share is the pain that is photo upload!

All the best, Patrick
    Couldn't agree more with this post! The ease of posting multiple pictures on the forum is a series down fall. I'm happy to post a picture or two but large numbers I've just given up. I don't want to hijack your thread salmon addict! So will start a thread on the subject. Brilliant job on tgr dyeing though and as said thanks for taking the time to share with your dyeing to vice sbs.

Cheers andy

Sorry to sound a critical note but I do mean well. You should really wear rubber or latex gloves when dyeing, unless you are very clear about the safety of the dyeing agent you are using. There is a very well recognised association between certain types of dye and bladder cancer.

You shouldn't boil materials - with wool and feathers especially it will ruin them - water should JUST be starting to bubble. Only black should be longerr and if essential, hotter.

If it took 12 minutes to get that much dye in I'm guessing you were using something like dylon - too much like hard work, use Jacquard (easy to get off eBay) - that should take only a couple of minutes for getting a good yellow on.

Venpol is a MUCH better degreaser - well worth paying the extra for it.

I'd encourage EVERYONE who does a decent amount of tying to have a go at dyeing - it's most satisfying (I dye pretty much all of my own materials) and a really DEAD easy. Dx
    Last edited by Dave Carne; 30-01-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks for the heads up IM. I'll be sure to wear gloves time

Brilliant salmonaddict cracking ghillies also 🎣. I'm going to give this dyeing lark a go... What's the worst that can happen the inside of my shed looking like a kids colouring book
    Last edited by Lamson v10; 30-01-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Carne View Post
    You shouldn't boil materials - with wool and feathers especially it will ruin them - water should JUST be starting to bubble. Only black should be longerr and if essential, hotter.

If it took 12 minutes to get that much dye in I'm guessing you were using something like dylon - too much like hard work, use Jacquard (easy to get off eBay) - that should take only a couple of minutes for getting a good yellow on.

Venpol is a MUCH better degreaser - well worth paying the extra for it.

I'd encourage EVERYONE who does a decent amount of tying to have a go at dyeing - it's most satisfying (I dye pretty much all of my own materials) and a really DEAD easy. Dx
    Cheers Dave for the info. I havent done a great deal of dying so all info much appreciated. It's very much a suck'em'n'see for me 👍

I only brought it to the boil to dissolve the dye (Veniard) then simmered gently as per instructions then just inspect the colour every so often. I removed from the dye when I felt the shade was what I was after👍

I'll give Venpol a bash 👍

Cheers 🎣

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast