Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Greenlander tungsten turbo sbs

A few people asked to buy my flies recently , I dont tie commercially anymore so here is an SBS so people can have a go themselves at tying these TTT flies and also helps understand that the basic materials of this fly cost cost about 4 pounds before the tying time hence when I sold them I charged around 10 per fly.
    Pic 1. The materials you will need.
    Pic. 2 The tools you will need.
    Sbs photos.
    1. Line the TTT with a clear eumer xs tube glue the very rear end of the plastic only into place. Tie in a yellow piece of soft fur hard against the cone part of the tube. Add green angel hair hd over and tie a second longer green wing over.Super glue the thread and remove the waste hair with a scalpel

2. Here is where my flies differ from otherI want to get some flash into the body and also more profile, there is no room for body hackles or braids on TTT tube so a build a heavy body of dubbing onto the plastic tubing, brush the the dubbing out to create a something that resembles synthetic hackle.

3. Tie in and wind a grizzle green soft hackle this should be very sparse just so it blends with the flash.

4. Add more strands of angel hair followed by the first black upper wing twice the length of the second wing , add another black wing slightly longer.

5. Add a few strands of nasty rust angel hair hd over I use this instead of peacock heels it's easier to tie in and lasts longer.

6. Add jungle cock and fold back the stem they need to be a bit longer then normal to be seen behind the front hackle.

7. Tie in a large soft hackle with a fluffy base.

8. The next step is important these type of hackles are not so strong so I wind them over a base of super glue he also helps with transitioning from the built up part of the plastic .

9. Make a few turns or superglue thread no whip finish and cut off slide down the xs tungsten turbo hard against the hackle melt the plastic to form a ring and the fly is finished.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fantastic step by step. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed thread.

Very much appreciated!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Thanks a lot for this SBS.
    To your opinion what is the benefit of the TTT cone as compared to tying a fly with a standard cone with all wings and hackle in front of it?
    I would have thought that the front part would help to tie on rather than directly onto the tubing, but as you explained it does not seem to be long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pfeul View Post
    Thanks a lot for this SBS.
    To your opinion what is the benefit of the TTT cone as compared to tying a fly with a standard cone with all wings and hackle in front of it?
    I would have thought that the front part would help to tie on rather than directly onto the tubing, but as you explained it does not seem to be long enough.
    Basically durability about percent of the fly can be tied on the metal part, you can make your own TTT arrangement easily enough by using 1.8 mm plastic tubing, slip on a UFO disc and slide it tight up to the back of the pre melted plastic tube, then slide on a 3mm tungsten tube and you have something similar, TTT are just ready to go also the design really lifts the wing high and keeps very soft hackles open without them collapsing .

They are good tubes but could have been made better there was no need for the metal lip at the front imho, that just complicates the tying transition onto the plastic tube as there is a big difference in the diameter, also the hole is very small most standard plastic tubes will not pass through without being stretched . Eumer 1.6mm is the best option

Thanks again.

I will get some to test them.

In the meantime, I will enjoy watching your amazing flies

nice fly, similar a Frodin Witch which I always thought was a good looking fly! Also thanks for doing the SBS, they take time to do and organise

Interesting you don't like to do a whip finish - personally I prefer the little extra security that even a single half hitch provides.. and for all the time it takes..a second or less that won't add to the bulk? Not so much of an issue when you have the head under a cone but with thread heads I just find it gives some extra peace of mind.
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Quote Originally Posted by easky View Post
    nice fly, similar a Frodin Witch which I always thought was a good looking fly! Also thanks for doing the SBS, they take time to do and organise

Interesting you don't like to do a whip finish - personally I prefer the little extra security that even a single half hitch provides.. and for all the time it takes..a second or less that won't add to the bulk? Not so much of an issue when you have the head under a cone but with thread heads I just find it gives some extra peace of mind.
    Hi Easky,

I don't actually use a half hitch either only superglued thread turns and then a drop of glue as I slide the cone on.

Its completely secure coming from traditional Flytying it took me a while to get my head round it but I have not used a whip finish in years, super glued wraps then cone or uv resin followed by rimmel 60 secs is all I use on normal heads also.

If the head is properly finished the thread should never be exposed so it's just a mindset thing imo really both equally as good way of finishing a fly

Excellent step by step and thanks.

Sewinfly................

Good info here, thanks for taking the time to do. Could you please say which type hook sleeve you use and where to buy ? It just sits in the back of the cone free swinging ?

Belter! what a fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast