Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22

Default Longtail Willy Gunn

Most on the forum won't know that I have an online blog. I don't update it too often and there's no science or ground breaking stuff on it. Just my own personal thoughts and rantings on salmon fishing and clay shooting.

Someone asked if was possible to do a step bt step on the fly I tied for the TOTM a couple of years ago. I had been working on a blog post about fly proportions and had intended using the Cascade to illustrate it. To kill two birds with one stone, I used the longtail Willy Gunn instead.

Here is a link to the blog post:

Fly & Clay: Keeping everything in proportion

If anyone is interested keeping up with any further updates, I always announce any new updates on the Facebook page:

Fly & Clay - Home | Facebook

There is no income generated from the blog and no connections with any other businesses. Just my own rantings.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the step by step!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

That's a fantastic SBS jockiescott very very informative I've only looked at willie gunn post on your blog, I've saved it to my home screen and am looking forward to reading more of your blog tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    That's a fantastic SBS jockiescott very very informative I've only looked at willie gunn post on your blog, I've saved it to my home screen and am looking forward to reading more of your blog tonight
    Thank you sir! As I said, there's not an awful lot on there but hopefully it'll pass a few minutes for you.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting, itís inspired me to have another go at the tying thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Petekd View Post
    I enjoyed that, thanks for posting, itís inspired me to have another go at the tying thing.
    If my posting has encouraged someone to get back to the vice and tie some flies, I'll be more than happy!

very good Jockie, really enjoyed reading that and nicely photographed and explained SBS

As you say a lot of fly tying is about personal preference, which in turn I think boils down to having confidence in how a fly looks and fishes.. and of course whether it catches you fish, both often being linked!

Couple of observations about 'your style' - on the bucktail its interesting you prefer the tips as closely lined up as much as possible. Personally I prefer a more tapered profile as I think this gives a more natural 'alive' look. Is there a particular reason why you like to line the tips?

On the tying the hackles - I've tied double hackles in at the same time in the past (on Cascades) but never attempted triple hackles.. respects! Again is there a particular reason why you do this, apart from speed and possibly reduction in bulk? I have personally moved away from two at once hackles on Cascades in favour of tying them in individually - I just finds this allow you more control over the relative density of each hackle and in particular more definition of the front orange hackle. Tying them in together I found gives a more blended look, and perhaps that's what you are looking for with the WG?
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Quote Originally Posted by easky View Post
    very good Jockie, really enjoyed reading that and nicely photographed and explained SBS

As you say a lot of fly tying is about personal preference, which in turn I think boils down to having confidence in how a fly looks and fishes.. and of course whether it catches you fish, both often being linked!

Couple of observations about 'your style' - on the bucktail its interesting you prefer the tips as closely lined up as much as possible. Personally I prefer a more tapered profile as I think this gives a more natural 'alive' look. Is there a particular reason why you like to line the tips?

On the tying the hackles - I've tied double hackles in at the same time in the past (on Cascades) but never attempted triple hackles.. respects! Again is there a particular reason why you do this, apart from speed and possibly reduction in bulk? I have personally moved away from two at once hackles on Cascades in favour of tying them in individually - I just finds this allow you more control over the relative density of each hackle and in particular more definition of the front orange hackle. Tying them in together I found gives a more blended look, and perhaps that's what you are looking for with the WG?
    Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, the hackles seem to blend better for me winding them together. I found tying in individually left more bulk. Also a single turn of orange and yellow doubled, then two turns of black, left the fly too dark. The black almost smothered the yellow and orange.

I like the tail a uniform length as its simple to do in a pot and looks better to my eye than a bunch just cut and tied in. Personal preference just.

Fantastic fly, fantastic SBS and a really decent blog you have created. I will be back there
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    Fantastic fly, fantastic SBS and a really decent blog you have created. I will be back there
    Thank you sir! Glad you enjoyed it!