Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FAO Finglas...SBS using Frodin F.I.T.S with disc.

Select your tube size. In this case the outer is 3/4" cut to a V shape for smoother fly with 1" inner to allow you to insert well into the outer (enough so that it stays firmly in place and you can still bed the hook knot into the outer tub) and leave enough at the front for materials. Burnish slightly the hook end which helps hold the silicone ext tubing.
    20170223_091431-jpg
    I usually match the thread colour to either disc or hackle colour to blend in. Start wraps just above junction and wrap over fairly tight. Add a drop of superglue top and bottom.
    20170223_091600-jpg
    Add body materials...in this case silver holographic and silver wire rib and tie in just over junction.
    20170223_091827-jpg
    Add wing no 1 with a bit of blue angel hair over to extend to length of 2nd wing which will be around 4".
    20170223_092207-jpg
    Add hackle no 1 which is blue doctor over the thread wraps.
    20170223_092533-jpg
    Add wing no 2 with a strand of black krinkle mirror flash either side and JC cheeks over. Wing is around 4". The dual wing gives the fly a bit of a "shoulder and a nice taper when in the water.
    20170223_093128-jpg
    Add hackle no 2, slightly longer than 1 so that the tips of 1 and 2 fairly match.
    20170223_094131-jpg
    20170223_094334-jpg
    There's a good 1/4" which is more than enough for a cone or a disc. Decided on a red perforated disc. Try for fit.
    20170223_094550-jpg
    Cut inner leaving approx 3mm for burnishing.
    20170223_094620-jpg
    Apply a small amount of superglue to threads with a fine point needle. I usually just drip a drop on the table top protector thing that i use and apply with a needle. Burnish with a lighter flame taking the flame on and off as it can easily burn, drip or melt back too far. Just as it cools i insert a fine tip needle to open up the hole.
    20170223_094713-jpg
    A Blue Monkey. Might even catch a fish. Cheers.
    20170223_095442-jpg
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

Well done Salmonaddict.....that should prove very useful to Finglas and others

Salmonaddict, thats absolutely brilliant. Really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Thanks very much.

Is that fly tied with medium outer and extra small inner ? And in regards to the hackles, what sort are used here ? I'v got a whiting american saddle which seems good. And iv got a black metz one which also seems good but just wondering if there is a standard that is generally agreed upon as a good all rounder ?

Thanks again, brilliant help very kind of you.

Jamie

No worries Finglas. The tubing is medium and extra small F.I.T.S and the cape is a Wapsi that Douglas at Flymakers got for me. GAC used to do them and they were excellent for the money but they stopped stocking them for some reason and now mostly do Veniard which I tend to stay away from now as they're standard has definitely dropped. Occasionally you see a decent batch from them. With capes and JC I don't buy unless I can have a look at it 1st.

Hi, just wondering i anyone can help again . I bought the xs and medium tubing and small and large. Bought it as GAC and they only had small and medium in bright colours, i had wanted clear but got black. felt it would be most versatile. Anyway, the XS and medium doesnt seem to fit as easily together as the small and large. I can only get maybe 5 mills of the xs inner into the medium outer. Should it be that difficult? am i missing something ? tried pushing a thicker needle through outer to widen it but no joy yet.

Would appreciate any advice again, Thank you,

jamie

Try cutting the tip of the inner to a 45, add wee bit of saliva and gently ease it in...."oooo matron"

Haha thanks, thats brilliant ill give it a go

20170307_165020-jpg

Couple of attempts
    Not quite there yet but getting closer
    If just used artic fox tail in the wing but would it maybe be better using artic runner in the 2nd wing. Thinking maybe that would reduce a bit of Bulk.

Thanks again

Jamie

I have the Frodin DVDs and he says on them that if the inner tubing is that little bit of a tight fit to get into the outer tubing you only need stretch the inner tubing to make it fit.
    Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

Would adding a smidge of superglue cause any issues if added when pushing one tube inside the other ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast