Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Default Single Hooks on Traditional Minnows

With the collapse of the numbers of salmon caught in Wales in 2019 and expecting that there will be new regulations for salmon anglers in 2020 how effective will traditional lures such as the devon minnow and variants be when armed with a single hook.
    Anyone with experience of using single hooks in devon minnows out there in the forum?

Trev.
    My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing kit for what I said I paid for it.

Trev

I have been using Gamakatsu LS3423F single hooks from Garry Evans for the last couple of years in various sizes for Mepps 2 up to Vision 110ís including the magical Devon Minnow with no problems with hook up rates or landing the fish.
    Would strongly recommend that you add an additional split ring when using a single hook.
    I use only one hook on the rear of the lure (even with the Vision 110ís) and that does not appear to have reduced my hook up rate.
    Hope that helps.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ellipse View Post
    Trev

I have been using Gamakatsu LS3423F single hooks from Garry Evans for the last couple of years in various sizes for Mepps 2 up to Vision 110ís including the magical Devon Minnow with no problems with hook up rates or landing the fish.
    Would strongly recommend that you add an additional split ring when using a single hook.
    I use only one hook on the rear of the lure (even with the Vision 110ís) and that does not appear to have reduced my hook up rate.
    Hope that helps.
    Brian
    How do you find changing the hooks with regaurds to the action on onetens and raps ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ellipse View Post
    Trev

Hope that helps.
    Brian
    I called into Garys during the summer and bought a few packs of Gamakatsu hooks and started to convert the few spinners and raps I use,
    Ready for the new NRW rules to be imposed on us.

Sewinfly..................

Rrrr

From my experience, they appear to behave in the same manner as if they had a treble hook and the fish certainly do not seem to notice any difference irrespective of the river conditions.

I can make / supply single hook Minnow mounts if required. Just need to find those single hooks I bought.
    Also got a number of devons in a variety of sizes priced to clear from stock.