Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Changing rapalas to single treble and swivel.

I'm changing my rapalas to single treble with a swivel and split rings and need some advice on hook size etc.
    What size trebles should I use with a 70mm and 90mm?
    What about 110s and 130s are they set up the same way or on the middle hook mount?
    Is it really necessary to tie the hook up?
    I've got a 70mm set up with a swivel and single treble untied, when in the water it tucks up neat to the body.

How much more reliable is this set up at landing fish compared to the standard rapala set up.
    I've been loosing around 40% of the fish I'm hooking with the std set up, my rod a 8ft 10/30g cw I'm using braid at the moment but the problem was originally noticed using maxima nylon???

Cheers Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 23-08-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Regarding hook sizes when fishing the single treble i always go bigger as the supplied trebles on a rapala IMO are too small for the single treble set up, It is all down to your preference. Regarding the 110's then same again and same set up with single treble. Regarding tying the hook up , i always get the rig tied back but ensuring the treble is sitting central and just hanging down from the body. If you do not tie the rig up the treble can catch the front vane or line and result in casts where it does not swim correctly. You will result in more landed fish doing it this way.

I tie keep my hook back with kanthal resistance wire so you dont have to mess on tying knots and can reset the hook in seconds if needed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

On the Tweed the boatmen all seem to take off the rear hook and leave the middle one though they replace the actual hook with something smaller, size 6 or 8 by the look of them. They don't tie it to the rapala so when you are playing a fish the body of the rapala slides away from the fish. They tell me the fish takes the rapala sideways on - certainly I have never had a fish swallow a rapala unlike a flying C, they always hook in the scissors. I have rarely used a rapala with both hooks so don't know what is better or worse for hooking. One of the few times I have caught on a rapala with both hooks, the rear one hooked the fish in the eye and I gather that is not an infrequent problem so not good if you want to return the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    On the Tweed the boatmen all seem to take off the rear hook and leave the middle one though they replace the actual hook with something smaller, size 6 or 8 by the look of them. They don't tie it to the rapala so when you are playing a fish the body of the rapala slides away from the fish. They tell me the fish takes the rapala sideways on - certainly I have never had a fish swallow a rapala unlike a flying C, they always hook in the scissors. I have rarely used a rapala with both hooks so don't know what is better or worse for hooking. One of the few times I have caught on a rapala with both hooks, the rear one hooked the fish in the eye and I gather that is not an infrequent problem so not good if you want to return the fish.
    I agree with the way the fish take a rapala, they seem to come from the side and underneath and attack it from below. I had an intresting conversation with one of the club bailiffs on tuesday by the river, he said the fish wouldnt take the rapala as recent rain had filled the pool with gravel so the fish dont have the depth to get under the rapala and take so they follow and turn away. He told me to try the fly as they should take that and within 5 mins i had a fish on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I agree with the way the fish take a rapala, they seem to come from the side and underneath and attack it from below. I had an intresting conversation with one of the club bailiffs on tuesday by the river, he said the fish wouldnt take the rapala as recent rain had filled the pool with gravel so the fish dont have the depth to get under the rapala and take so they follow and turn away. He told me to try the fly as they should take that and within 5 mins i had a fish on.

Now that explains a few things and from my observations is right, they do work best in a pool with a bit of depth. You learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    Now that explains a few things and from my observations is right, they do work best in a pool with a bit of depth. You learn something new every day.
    If you change to a small mepp or flying c etc they may be more likely to take that in shallow water than a rapala as they seem to be happy taking a mepp from the back if you let it swing like a fly.

If you change to a small mepp or flying c etc they may be more likely to take that in shallow water than a rapala as they seem to be happy taking a mepp from the back if you let it swing like a fly.

You probably noticed from my thread on mepps that I am having to learn about them.

I tie keep my hook back with kanthal resistance wire so you dont have to mess on tying knots and can reset the hook in seconds if needed.

That sounds very convenient,
    how do you set up the wire so it can be reset?

I'm also in agreement about the way salmon take rapalas bitting across them.
    I did noticed with spinners they were normally hooked inside the mouth but the takes with rapalas outnumbered the spinner hence not using them now.
    After reading that about the Tweed and depth somethings occurred to me, the areas I'm loosing most fish are only 18"/2ft deep, the pool that I've landed most out of is 4/5ft deep, possibly coincidence?

Thanks everyone Al

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    That sounds very convenient,
    how do you set up the wire so it can be reset?

I'm also in agreement about the way salmon take rapalas bitting across them.
    I did noticed with spinners they were normally hooked inside the mouth but the takes with rapalas outnumbered the spinner hence not using them now.
    After reading that about the Tweed and depth somethings occurred to me, the areas I'm loosing most fish are only 18"/2ft deep, the pool that I've landed most out of is 4/5ft deep, possibly coincidence?

Thanks everyone Al
    It may be more than coincidence, if the fish arent getting under the rapala and hitting it hard and are just mouthing it then you may not be getting as good of a hook hold as you would when they get under and properly go for it.
    Also rapalas do seem to get more of a reaction at times as i find i get more follows than takes with mepps etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast