Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think Salar is at times aware of the colour of our lines, the flash from them in the air, certainly the shadow from them on the water, they hear them on touchdown as we cast and at all stages of our casting and I certainly know they feel the weight of them when they take the flee we fish from them.
    Amazingly my best Tay day on the flee came with a fluro. Orange floater during low water,I'd 5 fish and missed as many more!.I've 3 floating heads that are bright(fluro.!) Orange, and yes there are certain conditions I'd never get them out the bag!, but other times I think its not such a huge deal!.
    I've seen Salmon almost bolt away from badly cast lines, melt away into the background when the shadow of a line has passed over them, even leave the pool when a line has been cast near them!.Then there's the other side of the coin and I've seen a Salmon nail a flee almost instantly when a very badly cast line and flee has dropped like the proverbial ton of bricks, right on top of it and the flee was no where near fishing, I've seen newbies(me included) making more noise and disturbance than Niagra in times of flood taking the only fish of the day!.
    However, I'd say a common sense approach all round ones Salmon fishing is no bad thing at all, there are probably other factors that will impact your results greater than a more detecable line, but if one takes the view that matters and you can act on it and if you approach your fishing with positive thought then that should reward you in the greater term.If one behaves and fishes like a complete pratt, then the pratt's share is what one will catch!.
    I know this because - - - -, I've had my share of the pratt's times too!.
    Yours with a sense of humour and 3 fluro lines for sale, Pedro.

PS, can we have some clear floating lines then please, that does seem a good idea!.Ist company to sell a good one, will clean up!.
    Last edited by Rennie; 08-02-2020 at 04:52 PM.

My prime consideration with floating fly lines , for trout or salmon , is that I must be able to see it on the surface.
    Might sound obvious , but perhaps not given the colour of some floating lines.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Hmm.. when the weather is so clear, that the fish would notice the line, it will look dark from its point of view. I mean the shadow of the line. Hence i donít think the colour means so much. Also, the 14-15ft tippet would leave the line quite far from the salmons point of view, which makes the colour of the floating line as well quite meaningless. I bet that salmon is also more concerned about the wiggling fly than the possible line four meters behind it, so I think it is quite hypotethical that it gives any notion to the line. Iíve been fishing in NZ and there the presentation of the fly is much more important than the colour of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    PS, can we have some clear floating lines then please, that does seem a good idea!.Ist company to sell a good one, will clean up!.
    Vision Ace Clear float is quite good at summertimes. Vision ACE SHOOTING HEADS

Vision make a clear Ace floating shooting head and a Float/Inter head with a clear 15' tip section. I haven't tried them but their man Antti Guttorm swears by the clear heads (on the other hand, that's his job).

I concur with Charlie in that the line is a more important factor when the surface of the water is smooth. This is because the underside of smooth water presents the salmon with a consistent mirror image in Window 2, in which straight lines of any colour stand out as a very visible anomaly. In rougher water the Window 2 mirror is more like a rapidly changing kaleidoscope of bright and dark 'tiles' in which the linear image of the line is broken up, and so it's colour is much less significant.

I'm also with IBM on the need to be able to see your own line, especially in poor light conditions, to assist fishing and casting.

I've never worried too much about the colour of my salmon lines, but i am a stickler for good field and water-craft, especially in low water conditions when gentle presentation is paramount. However, I've generally found salmon to be quite stolid, especially when compared to trout, provided that you are careful and quiet. I cast to one on the Carron for half an hour without upsetting it (full story here). But I see far too many people charge into pools, go straight onto the wading line and then extend to full casting distance without clearing the water in front of them first, more often than not scaring the wits out of the salmon gathered in the quiet pocket at the head of the pool. Those fish then scatter all over the pool, discombobulating all the others, leading to a pool full of nervy salmon, who won't revert to stolidity for at least an hour.

I agree that noise is a major factor in putting fish down and suspect it may be more important that line colour. I remember standing with a beat gillie on the Spey watching a guest work down a pool casting his Skagit down and across with a loud 'slurrrp' as he formed the loop and a splash as it landed. Each time this happened the fish would drop back downstream bit by bit. He never caught up with them!
    All attempts at stealth are worthwhile and I guess that if you can wade quietly, cast quietly and keep your wading stick schtumm then line colour, rod flash and camo'd clothing come next.

This issue of fly line colour has gone on for decades. The question though is does it matter to the fish, probably not. Generally the closer to the surface a fly line is then probably a light coloured line is less noticeable when viewed against the sky. The argument against this used to be that because the line is solid then it will still be seen in silhouette when viewed against the sky. Nature provides the evidence to suggest that this believe does not hold true. Anyone who has ever shot Wood Pigeon when they are perched on a branch and viewed against the sky are all aware they are very difficult to see. Not impossible, but difficult. Most, though not all, sea birds also have a white belly. They are this light colour for a reason.

A sinking line is mainly dark, because it is usually viewed against the topography of the river bed etc. Again nature provides us with the answers to both locations the back of fish are dark, while the bottoms are light in colour. These adaptations of fish or birds through 100,000's of years of evolution do not make them invisible, it just makes them stand out less. Therefore why not use a system which nature has produced to advantage when selecting a fly line. Personally I prefer a white or light blue coloured floating line and a dark green or brown one when for a sinker. Again to the fish it probably makes no difference to fish. Some anglers nowadays use a bright coloured braid when spinning. They still catch fish. Would they catch more fish, if they used a clear mono. Perhaps. Who knows. At the end of the day just use what you are happy with.
    Last edited by ABK; 08-02-2020 at 10:42 PM.

It's an issue I've heard often relating to boat hull colour, too.
    Not too sure about using a blue line all the time in Scotland, though. Surely lead-grey/guy dreech would more often be appropriate?

Michael
    Your article - Just one from 2013 is excellent. Until a salmon drifts away it may be caught.

Perhaps the issue with bright lines is just a very small one in convincing fish to come bankside?
    Tho' a sunburst orange head wafting over a pool may be a disadvantage over a dreich grey brown item.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I think Salar is at times aware of the colour of our lines, the flash from them in the air, certainly the shadow from them on the water, they hear them on touchdown as we cast and at all stages of our casting and I certainly know they feel the weight of them when they take the flee we fish from them.
    Amazingly my best Tay day on the flee came with a fluro. Orange floater during low water,I'd 5 fish and missed as many more!.I've 3 floating heads that are bright(fluro.!) Orange, and yes there are certain conditions I'd never get them out the bag!, but other times I think its not such a huge deal!.
    I've seen Salmon almost bolt away from badly cast lines, melt away into the background when the shadow of a line has passed over them, even leave the pool when a line has been cast near them!.Then there's the other side of the coin and I've seen a Salmon nail a flee almost instantly when a very badly cast line and flee has dropped like the proverbial ton of bricks, right on top of it and the flee was no where near fishing, I've seen newbies(me included) making more noise and disturbance than Niagra in times of flood taking the only fish of the day!.
    However, I'd say a common sense approach all round ones Salmon fishing is no bad thing at all, there are probably other factors that will impact your results greater than a more detecable line, but if one takes the view that matters and you can act on it and if you approach your fishing with positive thought then that should reward you in the greater term.If one behaves and fishes like a complete pratt, then the pratt's share is what one will catch!.
    I know this because - - - -, I've had my share of the pratt's times too!.
    Yours with a sense of humour and 3 fluro lines for sale, Pedro.

Airflo ridge clear.

I think it's probably a very bad idea to look at salmon as all the same. They are all individuals and will behave differently to any given stimuli. The length of time they have been in the river will also have an effect. In addition different temperatures, overhead, water colour and height will also affect fish behaviour. Suffice to say it's probably safest to assume that they are all spooky and act accordingly: there is nothing to loose after all and maybe a few extra fish to gain.

Another aspect is confidence. If you are confident I'm sure you fish better. If you believe your line could be scaring fish you may not fish so well as if you think the opposite. I generally use clear lines because they work for me!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast