Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Century Game Open Day - River Forth

Century Game are launching an all new range of British designed and manufactured salmon fly rods in May 2010. Stirling Council in parnership with Century design consultant and AAPGAI instructor, Alan Maughan are offering the opportunity to try the selection of rods at our Century Game Open Day.

The event will be held on the River Forth at The Greenbanks on Sunday 16th May 2010 between 10.30am and 4.00pm.

During the day Alan will offer 1-2-1 and group tuition as well as doing various demonstrations. The event is free and everyone is welcome. This is a great opportunity to test these exciting new products, get a free lesson in the art of fly casting and meet up with a few forum friends.

Let me know if you are interested in attending and anyone requiring any further details can contact me direct on 01786 442932 or post a question in this thread.

Good news and Im sure Alan will get a decent turnout of Forth anglers and central based forum members.Couple of points I'd like to make though DJ..

Greenbank(right bank) is not the ideal area to have this day,most guys cast right hand up so the pool(left bank) would suit better.If there is water on then greenbank becomes a tight area to cast,let alone stand, where as the pool is wide open and even if the river is very high casting wont be a problem.

Looking forward to it,well done Davie and Alan for organising this day..1st time something like this has been done on the Forth to my knowledge.
    Last edited by alan w; 07-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Default sign me up

I would like to attend this day. ( usually cast left hand on my side of the river, though) I'm sure Alan could teach anyone to cast left hand up or right hand up. Right bank or Left bank should not be an issue. This will be a great opportunity to test out these rods. More manufacturers should do this.

Quote Originally Posted by alan w View Post
    Good news and Im sure Alan will get a decent turnout of Forth anglers and central based forum members.Couple of points I'd like to make though DJ..

Greenbank(right bank) is not the ideal area to have this day,most guys cast right hand up so the pool(left bank) would suit better.If there is water on then greenbank becomes a tight area to cast,let alone stand, where as the pool is wide open and even if the river is very high casting wont be a problem.

Looking forward to it,well done Davie and Alan for organising this day..1st time something like this has been done on the Forth to my knowledge.
    Hello Alan.

Fair points and it was something we had discussed. Much will depend on conditions on the day and we can move if we think it would be better at the pool. The problem we had in planning the event was space for marquees and the amount of people who are likely to attend hence we have went for the Greenbanks. I am looking at how we can make the most of this opportunity and wonder how forum members would feel if I put up a small prize for the best or most improved caster on the day. The success of the event will depend on the numbers and I would ask you spread the word to ensure a good turnout. If it is a success we can do it again. Im looking forward to seeing many of the forum members and also our permit holders on the day.
    D.J.

sounds good

Default nice one

good i might learn how to cast looking forward to it well done DJ i will be there
    Give it your all and that you can sleep easy tonight

me as well

newfly Guest

DJ,
    How do you book a place for the tuition as it seems like it will be very busy.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newfly View Post
    DJ,
    How do you book a place for the tuition as it seems like it will be very busy.
    thanks
    We cant really offer a booking service newfly as we have no idea what the turnout will be, the more people there the thinner I will be spread. Usually when I do days like this the format is that I will do 2 demonstrations of around 20-30mins each, one at say 11pm the other at 2pm, I could do 3 at a push. This will allow everyone who wants to hear the opportunity to pick up tips on how I see things with different casts, the pros and cons of each, how they relate to fishing situations etc and the key points to learning these quickly. After the demo you can get in the water and try for yourself, I will then mingle amongst those who are casting and try and give 5-10mins of 1-2-1.

Alternatively we can split into groups after the demos and we will look deeper into the cast together, there will be opportunity for questions and answers. There should be a good few forum members who are good casters present who Im sure will be happy to share what they know as well.

We will have around 20 new Century rods and lines covering the whole range and with various lines from full floating spey lines with head from 52'-80' as well as various shooting heads and skagit lines. The plan is to keep things relatively informal and relaxed and to have a good day on the river with the cance to try some new gear and learn something.

newfly Guest

Default Location

Can someone give me a reference that I can google map so that I can find where this event will take place.
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast