Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Skagit head for Guideline NT8 #8/9

Hi there
    For a Skeena trip in August, I'd like to bring a skagit head to accompany my Guideline Multitip line, mostly to be able to handle bigger flies and/or deeper water, if need be.
    The rod is the Guideline NT8, 12' 9", #8/9.

At the moment I'm considering these lines :
    Airflo Skagit Compact 2.0 Skagit Compact G2 | Airflo USA it seems to be discontinued, but can get it here in Denmark
    Rio Skagit Max https://www.rioproducts.com/products/skagit-max (normal length)
    Rio Gamechanger https://www.rioproducts.com/products...ax-gamechanger in FHI version

Any advice is welcome.
    Last edited by sgellert; 04-02-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Links

540gr f.i.s.t. goes well on that rod,they are very good lines for BC.Cheers Dusty.

Thanks for the suggestion dustybinns.
    I'm a little concerned about the lack of flexibility of having a permanent sinktip on the FIST.
    I'm kinda leaning towards the Airflo Skagit Compact G2 in 570 grains, with some 10ft FLOTips.
    Mistpool has the head for just 40 EUR, which is a very nice price.

Quote Originally Posted by sgellert View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion dustybinns.
    I'm a little concerned about the lack of flexibility of having a permanent sinktip on the FIST.
    I'm kinda leaning towards the Airflo Skagit Compact G2 in 570 grains, with some 10ft FLOTips.
    Mistpool has the head for just 40 EUR, which is a very nice price.
    Quote :I'm a little concerned about the lack of flexibility of having a permanent sinktip on the FIST.:Not trying to sound to smart, but is that not the reason you fish with a skagit line🤔Actually the f .i .s t .line will single spay very nicely,look it up on Youtube ,there a few good videos .The 540 gr on your rod is not heavy ,it will s/spey with ease ,with 10í or 15í t tips.I think any of the lines you mentioned will do,the rio game changer is similar to the f.i.s.t.,in some configurations,not sure i have no experience with it .Happy hunting,itís part of the fun,though often expensive.Cheers Dusty.

I have fished skagits quite a bit and in my experience lining a rod depends on what tips you will be casting and what casts you will be using. I tended to use the water bourne casts as I was taught by an American guide in Argentina. The Snap T and perry poke are great casts once you get to know them but the rod needs to be loaded appropriately. Because we were regularly using T14 and even T18 the skagits I used on a Sage One 8126 (8wt)was either an airflo compact 570, the same in an intermediate (which seems to have been discontinued) or a Rio Max short 625. Both these lines were great with these water bourne casts and using big flies and big tips. For my 14ft 9wt I was using a 660 Airflo compact. You could not however single spey these lines. The lower you go in weight the more you can use your single spey/ touch and go casts.
    The Americans seem to line their rods with skagits on the heavy side. For instance I had a 7wt sage rod with a 510 skagit which I thought was just right. The guide said it needed a 540 and this was backed up by a few US reviews.
    My next purchase will be the Rio Game changer FHI as I like the fact it slows the swing and allows tips and the fly to sink deeper. I would get this in a 600 for my Sage igniter 8136. The FIST line also has great reviews and would definitely help get you deeper.
    If I don't need such depth I tend to use the Rio VT and the 15' tips that come with it. This is a great combination unless the wind really gets up when a skagit is great.

I just checked the Rio recommendations for your rod. They don't have the NT8 but do have the LPxe 8/9 rod and recommend the 550 Skagit if you like a light outfit or the 570 for a heavier load to the rod. My preference based on my rods would be the 570 but it is very much down to what you like
    Last edited by Neil W; 06-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Thank you very much to both of you for the input, much appreciated.
    I ended up ordering the Airflo Skagit Compact G2 in 570 grains.
    @Neil yeah I found the Rio guide as well, thats how I decided on 570 grains
    I'm still very much a novice into flyfishing for salmon, so I think it will be a good starting point, w/o the "fancy" sinktip etc.

There are lots of videos on you tube about casting including skagits. I find the Rio Simon Gawesworth ones very useful. The 570 should be a good match

Default Nt8

Great choice of rod ,great fun to cast,it loves the BC waters, and pulls tips all day long.Cheers John.

Excuse me if I chirp in, but just about the only thing Skagity wise I know for sure is that Guideline Rods and Skagit lines aren't always that well suited.
    I've one or two LPXe's and I wouldn't use them with a Skagit approach.I've the 13fter mentioned and wouldn't go near it with a 550gr Skagit.In fact the only rod that I do tread the path of a Skagit outfit with is my 13ft 7ins 9/10 Reaction and I use and was recommended a 550 gr Skagit on that by Guideline themselves.
    I've swapped an e mail or two with Guideline and Leif whatshisface and their line of thinking is with Guideline rods and the Skagit approach you need to be looking at "Touch n Go" casts and a line+tip within the rods casting grain weight, in fact rather like a conventional multi tip line being honest.
    I can't 100% state which tips one could confidently use Skagitwise, but the Guideline Skagit Kit came with 15ft of T18 and I've had a cast or two with that on my 13ft 7 Reaction with the 550 Skagit and while the 15ft T14 was better, the rod coped ok.
    NT8's are real cool rods and not exactly cheap, I'd feel 100% confident in using any multi tip type of tip on one coupled to a poly as well if needs be, I regularly use a 15ft type 6 tip and 10ft 6.5 ips Poly too, however I'd do carefull homework for the 100% Skagit approach!.
    Pedro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast