Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Tip advice - confused

I have a Mackenzie Atlas 13 ft 7 and a 660 grain Airflo Skagit compact ( 27 ft head) for a forthcoming trip to fish the Skeena in British Columbia.
    This subject has been covered many times but I am still confused ( low intellect)
    The Rio mow tip kit comes with different tips but as I would need a “heavy “ kit based on the 660 grain line I understand they will all be based on T14. Does this mean the fastest sinking tip in this kit won’t sink as fast as a straight piece of T18?

Are the Airflo skagit Flo tips in a kit the same sort of thing. If so why does this kit not offer a choice of medium, heavy or extra heavy based on the skagit grains line they will be matched with as is the case with the Rio kit.
    As you can see I am very confused

Quote Originally Posted by the optimist View Post
    I have a Mackenzie Atlas 13 ft 7 and a 660 grain Airflo Skagit compact ( 27 ft head) for a forthcoming trip to fish the Skeena in British Columbia.
    This subject has been covered many times but I am still confused ( low intellect)
    The Rio mow tip kit comes with different tips but as I would need a “heavy “ kit based on the 660 grain line I understand they will all be based on T14. Does this mean the fastest sinking tip in this kit won’t sink as fast as a straight piece of T18?

Are the Airflo skagit Flo tips in a kit the same sort of thing. If so why does this kit not offer a choice of medium, heavy or extra heavy based on the skagit grains line they will be matched with as is the case with the Rio kit.
    As you can see I am very confused

I am not sure that i fully understand what you are trying to get at except to say that YES its fair to say a straight length of T14 is lighter than a straight length of T18 and therefore a straight piece of T14 Mow tip will not sink as fast as a straight piece of T18

10 feet of T11 will sink slower tan 10 feet of T14
    10 feet of T14 will sink slower than 10 feet of T18 ,,and so on etc....

the most common tips that my friends and i used were T10 - T14 - T18 for our trips to BC,,we got our hands on ALL THREE weights in a tackle shop in BC and bought long lengths of each weight and simply made our own Tips in 6ft,8ft,10ft,12ft, and 15ft lengths to cover most/all situations..I would suggest you find a supplier online that sells T tip material in the weight that you would prefer and simply make your own its pretty easy really and you can make as many as you like,,if you were to go down the route of making your own Tips and require some help send me a PM...

CORONA